Tendering and excursions with kids

newcruisemom

Hi - I have a 1 and 3 year old. We are going on the Explorer in a few days and I'm wondering what other parents have done when the boat is tendered vs. docked? Do they bring their own life vests? Do they/can they use a stroller on a tender?

I did purchase a floatation vest for both my kids. Also, is there a ramp to get into the tender or do you step into it? I would be more hesitant if I had to step into it with a child.

Any advise would be so appreciated. Thanks!

Depends on the ship and the port. Some ports insist ships use their local tenders while most use the ships lifeboats. It also depends on how the ship is made. Some have ramps into the tenders but most it's lots of stairs down to a floating dock and stepping into the tender. No way a stroller can do this. Plus if it's bouncy to get into the tender, which is usually is, that makes it all the more difficult.

Hi - I have a 1 and 3 year old. We are going on the Explorer in a few days and I'm wondering what other parents have done when the boat is tendered vs. docked? Do they bring their own life vests? Do they/can they use a stroller on a tender?

I did purchase a floatation vest for both my kids. Also, is there a ramp to get into the tender or do you step into it? I would be more hesitant if I had to step into it with a child.

Any advise would be so appreciated. Thanks!

A few things about tendering:

1. There's plenty of room for strollers and some mobility devices onboard most tenders, but you usually do cannot board using them. Just like when you board an airplane, make sure to fold up the stroller just before you board.

2. You usually have to step down or use a short ramp onto the tender (which pulls along side of the ship at or near the waterline around Deck 2 or 3). If the seas are rough, the tender may pitch vertically up to several feet so be very careful--especially when dealing with strollers and small children! Naturally, there is usually plenty of crew to help you during this boarding process. If it is too difficult for you to embark while holding an infant, you can hand stroller and/or infant to a crew member onboard the tender, and then board yourself. Of course, if all this is just too scary, then you may have to forget about disembarking altogether.

3. You don't bring your lifevests--each tender legally must have enough for all passengers and crew. The tenders are usually the ship's own "lifeboats" and they are not small. They hold over a hundred people and life vests (including childrens' sizes) are onboard in various locations. When you board, immediately make note of where the childrens' life vests are in case of emergency. BTW, a swim flotation vest is not the same thing as a certified life vest or preserver.

I've tendered with twin toddlers three times. I have them wearing their own life vests that we bring (I know that the tender has them on board, but I like the piece of mind that in the unlikely event that one of the girls goes into the water, she'll float).

On each of the three different ships we've been on, the twins stayed in their double stroller, which was lifted onto the tender by the crew. (Same thing when my husband was in a wheelchair, he was just lifted onto the tender). Since you're not outnumbered by your children as I am, in your case I might hold my child (in their life vest) as I stepped across.

There will usually be some kind of notice as to whether wheelchairs can use the tenders on the day/port you're in. That's a good way to tell if there's access and calm enough seas.

Have a great time.

Best,

Mia

One thing you might consider is not planning any excursions (just wing it) for any ports that are tender ports. Just in case, the seas aren't completely calm. That way, you can check things out before deciding to tender with your kids. You can always stay onboard if the conditions look iffy.

We're boat people and my kids always wear life jackets when on the boat or dock. But we didn't have them wear jackets on the tender. It's a fairly large boat and we never felt they were in any danger of falling off. It would have been very difficult to push a stroller on the tender. If we had brought one I would have folded it up and carried it on.

I would plan on tendering and expect the crew to help you and give you a hand and extra support. I don't remember having a difficult time tendering at all and could have easily done it with my 1 year old with a crew member holding my arm in case I stumbled. I'm sure that a crew member or someone on the boat already will take the stroller while you and your husband take the kids.

Also, one of you could board first and do a stroller and kid pass off. Unless the weather or seas are real bad it should be a fairly easy undertaking. I too debated bringing my own life vest, but I don't think I've ever read a story of a tender boat sinking while tendering so I decided it would be one less thing to worry about.

I just got back from the Grand Princess. We tendered at 2 different ports. I took my 4 year old both times. The crew (1 on the tender and 1 on the ramp/boat) picked him up and handed him off to the other who placed him in the tender. The last time we tendered off the island my son was asleep on my shoulder and they held my arms as I walked across the ramp. The boat does move quite a bit, but there are lots of crew there to help. There are several more crew members around the area ready to help if you needed help with you're kids or the stroller. I don't recommend using the stroller while boarding the tender....it's a fairly narrow entryway.

BTW, the tenders are very large. And all but one of our tenders were completely covered and enclosed except for the doorway. So there was no fear of him falling overboard while in the tender. Hope this helps. Relax and enjoy!

Archived