Rental Car Parking

1kycat

I am just wondering how much parking is available at the sites around the island? Is it hard to find? Do you pay? Are there many instances of towing?

And is there a parking lot near the ships that one could park a car for a while?

Thanks

I just got back from a cruise that included Antigua where we rented from Dollar Rent-a-Car. Dollar is well represented on the island and offers pier to pier pick up and delivery to their office a mile or two from the pier. I recommend them; search for them on line.

I understand Dollar's pier to pier set up now. There is little if any parking available near the pier in downtown St. Johns when ships are in. Both the parking and driving situation near the pier is VERY difficult. I wouldn't have wanted to have been behind the wheel there.

Dollar had drivers waiting for us to take our large group of about 18 and took ALL of us in multiple vehicles out to their office where they had three mini vans for us. At the end of the day we were returned to the pier.

In sum, generally I'd REALLY avoid the harbor area driving generally; and especially early morning and late afternoon. Mid-day if your driving you'll want to be elsehwere on the island.

We had to wait almost an hour for the dollar rep. They had a hard time getting into the pier area. They gave us a discount for being late. Its good that the office is out of town. Parking around the island was no problem. Gas is expensive. Just be patient cause you may get turned around a few times. Because our drive took us southwest on the island, we had to drive through town to get the car back and it was really congested. Avoid it if possible.

I didn't find parking to be difficult where we toured, down to Nelsons Dockyard then back via Fig Tree drive and the southeast beaches.

You do want to stay out of downtown though and that means being a bit decisive when you see a sign saying 'St. Johns 2 km' ahead (TURN). Actually, I've found having a compass can be handy driving in the islands (just as reassurance of direction of travel since road signs are sparse).

We had a Dollar driver awaiting us, but I e-mailed the Friday before the cruise (Antigua was Tues.) so that may have helped. The tourist info booth you can't miss; it 50-100 feet from the pier entry on the main pedestrian walk out. Antiguans are friendly bunch with directions and what not. Watch the change when you buy gas though.

Archived