Flights

QueensFan

After the April QE2 crossing, my family and I are planning on spending a few days in London before flying back to New Jersey. It doesn't seem airfare is included in the crossing package.

Seeing as I'm a "cruise virgin," I'm not totally sure what we're supposed to do here. I know that Cunard can arrange an air package. I also know we can buy one-way airfare with Continental or the like (prefer SkyTeam for the miles) for about $3800 for four. The question is, will Cunard be able to do us better? Especially seeing as we're planning on leaving four days later? (22 April.)

Is it worth it to go through Cunard for the flight, or with our situation, are we better off going independently and just booking it now?

Sincerely,

Hopelessly lost in EWR.

I am not sure of flights for April, as the prices vary so much throughout the year. I always check expedia for an idea on flight prices. Maybe it would be best to check what price Cunard could get them for and compare.

I know I have read some posts on here that say it is best to get your flights seperately and not through Cunard, but I'm not sure, as I'm using frequent flyer points for my trip.

Can you get flyer miles from other airlines? I only ask because I can get Virgin Flying Club points from Continental, so I wonder if it works the other way round. Virgin are an excellent company to fly with. I'm not really a tv person but they have a huge choice on their onboard entertainment system and it makes the flight go quickly.

Your one-way airfare through Cunard should be a lot less than buying a "real" one-way ticket.

For the January crossing Cunard charged $359, a lot less than the $900 or so published fare!

In the UK, flights are included. Opting out means they reduce the fare by £150, which also means you lose the transfer and (if applicable) the hotel required on a forced overnight.

Mmmmmm. Wondering if we're being stiffed, yet again, over here....

Matthew

Matthew, I received my brochure today and noticed they only reduce the prices by £150 too, which isn't a lot.

I've done some checking round for prices. And I don't think you're allowed to mention names on here, but there's heaps better deals than through Cunard. I think I'm allowed to mention the forum sponsors probably - vacations to go - and they have excellent prices. Also, doing a search for cruise consolidators brings up others.

I did hear that Cunard try to prevent the English from booking through US companies, but on another thread others have mentioned that there are ways round this. It is worth checking out and comparing the prices like for like.

For business class flights, on the way back, I also noticed that a company called Silver something or other - I think it was Silverseas - but i am not certain - offer very good deals.

It annoys me that these companies stiff the British. I was staying in Walt Disney World before we did the Disney cruise and I couldn't get availability on a concierge room through the American site. And they charged me a much higher price for booking through the UK site. It is very annoying. We now have the advantage of a good exchange rate, so they try to rip us off.

For business class flights, on the way back, I also noticed that a company called Silver something or other - I think it was Silverseas - but i am not certain - offer very good deals.

Silverjet. And, not quite as nice, but a lot cheaper, Maxjet.

I've not flown either (yet) but they look good value. And avoid Heathrow!

Matthew

It annoys me that these companies stiff the British. I was staying in Walt Disney World before we did the Disney cruise and I couldn't get availability on a concierge room through the American site. And they charged me a much higher price for booking through the UK site. It is very annoying. We now have the advantage of a good exchange rate, so they try to rip us off.

Brochure rates have been unequal for a long time, so it isn't an attempt to compensate for the exchange rate. You've been getting [hmm, seraching for acceptable verb here...] by Cunard for quite a while.

Sometimes we've taken Cunard's rates, sometimes we've booked on our own. For our cruise next May, Cunard wanted something along the lines of $1200 per person for R/T flights between Newark to Heathrow, transfers NOT included. We found a fare sale on Virgin and booked for under $800 per person, and that included an upgrade to premium economy for the overnight eastbound flight. We intend to apply the money saved to our bar bill...

One-way flights are tricky because they can be more expensive than a round-trip ticket. A few years ago, we booked a cheap round-trip airfair when we intended to fly to England and sail home. BUT that works only if you use the first half of a ticket and 'burn' the second half. If you don't show up for the first flight, your second flight on the ticket will be cancelled, too.

I do NOT understand why airlines charge so much more for a 1-way flight. :(

Kathy

Kathy - that is an excellent rate for Premium Economy. Have you flown Premium Economy before? Did you select your seats yet? If not, ask to be in the bubble. It is like being on a seperate small plane - v quite and peaceful.

Re flights - I have often noticed that it is cheaper coming back from the US than going, as you get charged less tax.

Matthew - those are the ones I meant. They sound pretty good and much better value than Virgin or BA. I would definitely use them if i couldn't use miles or get a Z fare on Virgin. I would never pay Virgin's J class fares.

It is great that we have much better flight options from the UK now. I have found one of those low cost airlines - flybe, will fly us direct from Newcastle to Southampton for £15 each. I haven't tried them before, but they can't be any worse than BA's domestic flights are nowadays.

QueensFan - obviously shop around, but I have priced your flights using Maxjet that Matthew mentioned, which is business class and the price comes to £1754.92 for business class return from Stansted - London. This is actually cheaper than the economy fares you found. Plus you would be able to sleep on the plane.

Have a look for yourself at Maxjet.com and also, it may well be worth checking out Silverjet.com that Matthew mentioned. They both look really good value - and you're getting business class for lower than economy.

Have you planned on where to stay in London yet? Do ask on this forum. I always use priceline for london and get great rates. Many London rooms only sleep 2 people, so when there are four of you travelling and you need two rooms it is definitely worth using priceline - you save a heap. Let me know if you need help on choosing areas etc.

Will it be your first time in London? It's a brilliant city.

Just for the record, Silverjet flies to Luton, not Stansted.

MaxJet and Eos fly to Stansted.

MaxJet is supposed to be "business class at economy fares"; Eos is supposed to be "first class at business class fares". I'm not sure what Silverjet is supposed to be!

Often it is cheaper to book your own air than to do it through a cruise line, but this is not usually the case when you are dealing with a one-way ticket.

This is because when you book a one-way ticket, you are usually paying something close to full fare. The cruise line can book a one-way ticket in a cheap fare class that airlines will only let us book if round-trip.

Matthew, I received my brochure today and noticed they only reduce the prices by £150 too, which isn't a lot.

I've done some checking round for prices. And I don't think you're allowed to mention names on here, but there's heaps better deals than through Cunard. I think I'm allowed to mention the forum sponsors probably - vacations to go - and they have excellent prices. Also, doing a search for cruise consolidators brings up others.

I did hear that Cunard try to prevent the English from booking through US companies, but on another thread others have mentioned that there are ways round this. It is worth checking out and comparing the prices like for like.

Catherine, it's silverjet & the upgrade to/from ny newark to/luton.

is £399. Very good value!! We are trying it in january, but have heard that it is very good.I have to say though, if money was no object virgin upper class would be my first choice, might change my mind in jan though, fingers x-ed

Sharon

After the April QE2 crossing, my family and I are planning on spending a few days in London before flying back to New Jersey. It doesn't seem airfare is included in the crossing package.

Seeing as I'm a "cruise virgin," I'm not totally sure what we're supposed to do here. I know that Cunard can arrange an air package. I also know we can buy one-way airfare with Continental or the like (prefer SkyTeam for the miles) for about $3800 for four. The question is, will Cunard be able to do us better? Especially seeing as we're planning on leaving four days later? (22 April.)

Is it worth it to go through Cunard for the flight, or with our situation, are we better off going independently and just booking it now?

Sincerely,

Hopelessly lost in EWR.

Catherine, it is easyjet & flys into luton/newyark. The upgrade with cunard is £399 one way, very good. We are trying it in january & have heard it is great, fingers crossed. If money was no object it would be virgin upper class-fab:D .Good luck

Sharon

Sharon - I'm lost which part of the flight is easyjet and which is silverjet? Is the easyjet part a uk domestic flight? I now prefer easyjet domestic. My last BA flight to London was so bad that I cancelled the return and came back with easyjet - much better and a new plane, which made me feel heaps safer. And Silverjet looks amazing on the website.

I too love Virgin flights, but only when I can get a good deal or use flyer miles. You could probably do the world cruise cheaper than you'd pay for Transatlantic and a Virgin full price upper fare.

Doug - I will check out Eos too. It is great that we have all these choices.

Karie - if I could take more days off work that would be my preferred choice too - no jetlag at all.

Kathy - that is an excellent rate for Premium Economy. Have you flown Premium Economy before? Did you select your seats yet? If not, ask to be in the bubble. It is like being on a seperate small plane - v quite and peaceful.

By bubble, I think you mean the upstairs part of a 747? If so, I must burst your bubble. We are not going upper class--wish we were, but it's just too expensive. If I ever win the lottery, I will declare "As God is mah witness, Ah will nevah flah coach again!"

We upgraded to premium economy, which is a separate cabin in front of the coach seats. I had to laugh when we booked the upgrade--premium economy sounds like an oxymoron. I guess it's what some airlines call business class. We get a few more inches of leg room and seat width, plus we get to board early, same time as the upper class passengers, and have a drink while the 200 coach passengers struggle onto the plane. The meal is supposed to be better, but mostly we wanted the more comfortable seat so that we could get some sleep on the overnight flight.

Kathy

By bubble, I think you mean the upstairs part of a 747? If so, I must burst your bubble. We are not going upper class--wish we were, but it's just too expensive. If I ever win the lottery, I will declare "As God is mah witness, Ah will nevah flah coach again!"

We upgraded to premium economy, which is a separate cabin in front of the coach seats. I had to laugh when we booked the upgrade--premium economy sounds like an oxymoron. I guess it's what some airlines call business class. We get a few more inches of leg room and seat width, plus we get to board early, same time as the upper class passengers, and have a drink while the 200 coach passengers struggle onto the plane. The meal is supposed to be better, but mostly we wanted the more comfortable seat so that we could get some sleep on the overnight flight.

Kathy

Kathy, Premium economy (what a mouthful!) is quite often in the 'bubble'. Don't know why, but it would be fun:cool:

Sharon

Sharon - I'm lost which part of the flight is easyjet and which is silverjet? Is the easyjet part a uk domestic flight? I now prefer easyjet domestic. My last BA flight to London was so bad that I cancelled the return and came back with easyjet - much better and a new plane, which made me feel heaps safer. And Silverjet looks amazing on the website.

I too love Virgin flights, but only when I can get a good deal or use flyer miles. You could probably do the world cruise cheaper than you'd pay for Transatlantic and a Virgin full price upper fare.

Doug - I will check out Eos too. It is great that we have all these choices.

Karie - if I could take more days off work that would be my preferred choice too - no jetlag at all.

Shoot me down for this, but I can honestly say I have NEVER flown with easyjet & NEVER will.

Catherine, are you english? if so please watch 'airline' on itv & you will know why!

Sorry but to copy Kathy: "As god is mah witness, I will nevah flah easyjet". I can't say 'again' because I haven't!

Sharon

Shoot me down for this, but I can honestly say I have NEVER flown with easyjet & NEVER will.

Catherine, are you english? if so please watch 'airline' on itv & you will know why!

Sorry but to copy Kathy: "As god is mah witness, I will nevah flah easyjet". I can't say 'again' because I haven't!

Sharon

I'd sooner fly Easyjet than Ryanair. Mind you, I'd sooner avoid both.

We're flying back from New York in January in Upper Class. I can't say I enjoy it, but it is less bad than cattle. I did a transatlantic in cattle when I was with the Wicked Witch, but never again.

My understanding was that Premium Economy equated to World Traveller plus, and Upper Class to Club Class. Of course there is first class on BA, but I can't see the advantage over Club/Upper.

A subsonic flight will always be something to endure.

Matthew

I'd sooner fly Easyjet than Ryanair. Mind you, I'd sooner avoid both.
I agree. At least Stelios doesn't seem like a complete idiot like that dreadful O'Leary!

Also, EasyJet seems to fly mostly from normal airports, whereas many of Ryanair's are in the middle of nowhere!

I did a transatlantic in cattle when I was with the Wicked Witch, but never again.
Easy for you to say if you can afford it ;) !

I'd rather fly economy than stay home...

My understanding was that Premium Economy equated to World Traveller plus, and Upper Class to Club Class.
Correct on both counts.

S

Can't you book your time as if you were flying back, take the QM2 back, and tell them you were weathered in? No wait! BA lost your luggage (THAT is certainly believable) so you had to wait over there to get new stuff (Silly you, putting your passport and all in your luggage!)

Now wait. You got food poisoning on the flight and had to turn back..

Wait. I'll get it!

Aw heck, can't you just beg and flash the boss a little leg? (Assuming he or she likes that sort of thing!)

Karie

P.S. Whoever mentioned Flybe, most folks on here call it FlyMaybe. It has a rep for not going when it is supposed to.

Kathy, Premium economy (what a mouthful!) is quite often in the 'bubble'. Don't know why, but it would be fun:cool:

Sharon

Just checked Seat Guru. The version of the 747 that my flight uses has only upper class in the upper level. But you're right--the other three configurations I saw do have permium economy in the bubble. Must tuck that info away in some recess of my brain.

Kathy

Hi Kathy - I know the plane configuration you mean. Apparently, on that plane, they put part of 1st class in the bubble and they don't serve them food because they want to sleep all the way home.

When we booked our flight, the girl from Virgin said that a lot of the people who choose to fly in there fly in and out of New York in one day. Can you imagine it? They must be bonkers.

Premium economy is very good. You will sleep because they give you shedloads of free drink when you get on the plane in attempt to knock you out. Also the seats are more comfortable.

Matthew - I have been lucky re Easyjet, but I know not everyone likes it. And I will never ever fly with Ryanair again. We were flying back to Prestwick with them from London a few years ago, and the plane sort of crash landed - it was sort of bouncing along the runway. It was horrible - I really thought we were all going to crash and die.

Sharon - yes I'm English. But, I think if I watched Airline I might never fly again. Silverjet looks excellent - did you check out their website?

Karie - Thanks for the warning on flybe. I was going to stay over in Southampton the evening before - just incase. But, maybe it would be safer to fly with a proper airline the next morning.

And thanks for the advice re the extra time of work. I can't do it though - am my own boss, so I would know I was fibbing.

I did a transatlantic in cattle when I was with the Wicked Witch, but never again.

Easy for you to say if you can afford it ;) !

I'd rather fly economy than stay home...

Actually, I'm not sure that I agree. I can (just about) cope with it for a couple of hours, but I find it deeply uncomfortable. I agree that Upper Class is a bit more than is required, but Premium Ecomony would be my lower limit - if I can't afford that I'll stay in Europe.

Matthew

Archived