Pacific Coast Cruise on NCL Star

lucia1024

Hi

I am going to be taking the 6 day Pacific Coast cruise on the Star in Sept 08. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences of this itineary. I will be going to Vancouver, Victoria, Astoria OR, San Fran and end in LA. I live on the East Coast so going West appeals to me. I have sailed on two NCL ships already. The Pearl and the Jewel and loved both. I really love the free-style cruising.

Do you think that the month of Sept is not a good time to travel to these ports? Are there good excursion to take and if so can you suggest any?

I would really appreciate any suggestions or knowledge of this cruise.

Thanks so much for your help.

I've been to SF, Victoria, and Astoria on RCL going north though. There isn't much to do in Astoria on your own, so you should do an excursion there. IN SF, took a cab to Chinatown, walked around, then road a trolley back to the pier. Lots to do their on your own. In Victoria, went to the Butterfly Gardens and Buchardt Gardens. I would have loved to seen the Empress hotel from the inside, did drive by it on the bus.

We went a few years ago & really enjoyed it. It was very laid back, not a lot of kids or big groups.

We flew into Seattle & actually snagged a one day Holland form SEA to VAN, stored our luggage at the terminal ($5 a bag) toured VAN & got back on a ship. Did Astoria (definitely rent a car or get a tour) We rented a car in advance, (Hertz is independent & has few cars available). We went to the beach happened to see many other tourists on a tour. SF we have friends out there so they picked us up & went to wine country. LA, we to the dock are about a mile away & had the best crab I ever had. you point to one, tell them how you want it cooked a pitcher of beer & a dozen oysters later... yummy.

sorry.. gott go catch my train.

I'll try to remember more. It was one of our favorite cruises!

Hi

I am going to be taking the 6 day Pacific Coast cruise on the Star in Sept 08. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences of this itineary. I will be going to Vancouver, Victoria, Astoria OR, San Fran and end in LA. I live on the East Coast so going West appeals to me. I have sailed on two NCL ships already. The Pearl and the Jewel and loved both. I really love the free-style cruising.

Do you think that the month of Sept is not a good time to travel to these ports? Are there good excursion to take and if so can you suggest any?

I would really appreciate any suggestions or knowledge of this cruise.

Thanks so much for your help.

Have done this itinerary a couple times on the Star and really enjoyed it.

The weather is usually great this time of year. Not many kids on board so thats always a bonus. Being from the West Coast we just do our own exploring of the ports and enjoy having a empty ship to ourselves while others are on excusions.

As you are from the East and want to experience what the West has to offer I would suggest booking some tours. Which ones depend on how much time you want to spend off ship,how active you like to be and your budget limitations.

No matter what you decide to do, you will have a Great time out West!

Did this itinerary on the Sun last year. Despite the above mention of "not many kids on board" there were several on the Sun - all destined for Disneyland.

The itnerary is good, especially since you overnight in SF. I agree, not much to do in Astoria - best to rent a car and drive down the Oregon coast and see it for yourself (Seaside Oregon is a must). You can even drive over the Astoria bridge, or head into Portland for the day.

Victoria - no need to book an excursion here. Just walk (or cab) into the Inner Harbour. There, you can explore the Parlament Buildings (capital bldg), the Royal BC Museum, The Empress, Government Street with Chinatown - there's enough right around there to kill a day. Buchart Gardens are nice, but from the people that we on our cruise this Sept, there wasn't much in bloom in Sept.

SF, well there's lots to do there. We didn't have an opportunity to enjoy it last year because we got into port at 4am, and had to leave by 11am!

Join our roll call, I will be there!!

Hi

I am going to be taking the 6 day Pacific Coast cruise on the Star in Sept 08. .

Can you please tell me how you found the 6-day Pacific Coast cruise? I saw it on the NCL website a while back but now it seems to have disappeared! If you call up Pacific Coastal cruises all you get are two 3 day ones and one 32 day - I'd love to book the 6-day but I want to do it online direct with NCL. I'd really appreciate hearing how you booked. Thanks.

Hi Guys

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. I really look forward to cruising. I love it! It's like a floating hotel (LOL).

Regarding finding this cruise I found it through one of those online booking site. I don't think we are able to mention the name, but it is one of the well known online travel agency. I hope this helps.

I am going to start researching excursions for these ports. We prefer going on excursions instead of our own. We like to leave it to the experts to entertain and educate us on each location.

Thanks friends!

Can you please tell me how you found the 6-day Pacific Coast cruise? I saw it on the NCL website a while back but now it seems to have disappeared! If you call up Pacific Coastal cruises all you get are two 3 day ones and one 32 day - I'd love to book the 6-day but I want to do it online direct with NCL. I'd really appreciate hearing how you booked. Thanks.

It's not called a Pacific Coastal anymore on NCL.COM, it's a West Coast Getaway.

Archived