Tortola recommendations

lamkansas

We are going to be on the Norwegian Pearl Southern Caribbean trip and would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a shore excursion or independent tour in Tortola? I have heard there is great snorkeling. Any suggestions? We have our own snorkel gear, so all options are available. Thanks!

Lam - My husband and I loved Tortola. We are experienced cruisers and don't take to many, if any, cruise tours anymore. On Tortola we went to Speedy's ferry service and took their safari tour to Virgin Gorda (well worth it) which includes lunch, the baths (in Virgin Gorda), don't remember what else..etc. You just have to go to the ferry docks and order it. It's about 3 1/2 hours long and cost about $25. Less if you're a senior. You can snorkel at the Baths.

We are also going to the southern Caribbean on the Pearl in January. We will be doing Speedy's tour. You will also love St. Lucia.....

Joining your rollcall for your date will be helpful for you and looking at the ports of call section on this board really helps. We are leaving in less than a week now for the same trip as you. We have waited all year and its finally our turn. Good luck and happy cruising! :)

Joining your rollcall for your date will be helpful for you and looking at the ports of call section on this board really helps. We are leaving in less than a week now for the same trip as you. We have waited all year and its finally our turn. Good luck and happy cruising! :)

Just back from the Pearl B2B. Went to the Baths to snorkel. It was great. Walked thru the boulders on a path with ropes, stairs, cave-like areas. Lots of fish including barracuda. Did the ship's excursion( saw other pax running to Speedys terminal to catch that ferry. The "Extreme Machine" picked us up right from the ship.

Lam - My husband and I loved Tortola. We are experienced cruisers and don't take to many, if any, cruise tours anymore. On Tortola we went to Speedy's ferry service and took their safari tour to Virgin Gorda (well worth it) which includes lunch, the baths (in Virgin Gorda), don't remember what else..etc. You just have to go to the ferry docks and order it. It's about 3 1/2 hours long and cost about $25. Less if you're a senior. You can snorkel at the Baths.

We are also going to the southern Caribbean on the Pearl in January. We will be doing Speedy's tour. You will also love St. Lucia.....

Speedy's Tour sounds like the tour for me. Do I have to register with them before I go, or can I just go the the ferry? Since this tour is only 3 &1/2 hours would did you do afterwords.

Thanks.

Hi Lamkansas,

I am booking a catamaran sail and snorkel with http://www.kuralu.com.

He is offering a 4- 4 1/2 hour trip with snacks and open bar for 55 per person, and he only needs 10 minimum to do the trip. Quite a nice change from the usual ship excursions that pack us on like sardines. I am sooo done with that. We are going on Dec 19th. I will post my review of the trip when we get back to the frozen north on Dec 24th.

This will be our first visit to Tortola and just had a few questions. Do they rent ocean floats there? Is the water calm and clear? How long is the taxi ride and approximately how much is the fare? If anyone has any pictures posted, I'd love to view the link.

For those that have been, is Cane Bay similar to Meagan's Bay in St. Thomas?

MANY thanks! :)

Hi Lamkansas,

I am booking a catamaran sail and snorkel with www.kuralu.com.

He is offering a 4- 4 1/2 hour trip with snacks and open bar for 55 per person, and he only needs 10 minimum to do the trip. Quite a nice change from the usual ship excursions that pack us on like sardines. I am sooo done with that. We are going on Dec 19th. I will post my review of the trip when we get back to the frozen north on Dec 24th.

canadamum, sounds great. Do you have a cat reserved? We are a party of six on the Millenium, also looking for a half-day on that date.

Hi Flogblogger, I would offer to let you come on our trip but we have a different schedule than your trip. We are in Tortola from 11 until 8. Our cat is taking us out from 1130 to 5pm. However, I have also been in touch with Patouche (website is http://www.patouche@surfbvi.com) Julie at Patouche can probably work within your time schedule. It is nice to take a non-ship excursion to avoid being crammed on like sardines. We are picky about only catamarans but there are also sailboats available in Tortola. Happy Sailing!

Archived