Kids' Shipboard Costs

Hi, all!

We are working to plan a cruise on Mariner with extended family. DH and I don't have kids, so don't know how to answer the question "What expenses will kids encounter on the cruise?" We've been able to come up with tips, shore excursions and soda cards (geez--how boring and grown up!). I'm sure, however, that Royal Caribbean has something on which an 11 YO girl and a 14 YO girl would like to spend money.

So, for those of you with teens and tweens, what can we tell family members to expect? Any big surprises that you guys had when you checked on your shipboard account? Also, is there a cost for Adventure Ocean or the teen club?

Thank you from a coupla DINKS who are learning the ropes! :D

Java

Hi, all!

We are working to plan a cruise on Mariner with extended family. DH and I don't have kids, so don't know how to answer the question "What expenses will kids encounter on the cruise?" We've been able to come up with tips, shore excursions and soda cards (geez--how boring and grown up!). I'm sure, however, that Royal Caribbean has something on which an 11 YO girl and a 14 YO girl would like to spend money.

So, for those of you with teens and tweens, what can we tell family members to expect? Any big surprises that you guys had when you checked on your shipboard account? Also, is there a cost for Adventure Ocean or the teen club?

Thank you from a coupla DINKS who are learning the ropes! :D

Java

Ben and Jerry's, internet and the Arcade, are the only things that kids will normally spend money on. We have always given our DD (12) a daily limit for those and she has been responsible enough to stick to it. I have heard some horror stories where kids have racked up HUGE charges in the arcade though.

AO is free until 10pm, then there is a $5 per hour charge, from 10pm to 1am.

The teen club is free, apart from internet 25c per min.

Have a great cruise

You can lock out the kids seapass cards at check in

so nothing can be charged to YOUR account! This

way they DONT rack up the charges in the arcade.

The arcade accepts dollar bills so this way you

can limit the kids. Mine liked going to Ben and

Jerry's on a regular basis! It was only $3 for a scoop

of ice cream! This was in addition to the free

soft serve at the pool deck!

Thanks, great information! When I saw the Internet Cafe for $0.25 I realized that some damage could be done there...the teen is a MySpace.com addict who spends hours per day on that site!

Also good to know that cards can be "locked-and-loaded", per say. I have visions of both of them making their way to the jewelry store for souvenirs for themselves and friends. :eek:

I'd welcome any other thoughts that folks have on the little ways that older kids can blow a bundle!

Cheers!

Kristin

Smoothies, smoothies, smoothies! My kids love these, as a matter of fact, DH and I think they're pretty yummy too! NCL had a smoothie card which worked out great but I don't think RCCL currently has one. We always set a $ amount for the kids before they go so that they can learn a little about budgeting. This includes $ for shopping etc. at ports. DD is a slow learner though since her $ is usually gone in a couple of days:rolleyes: , DS on the other hand usually comes home with just about all of his $. The only other costs I can think of are Johnny Rockets and that darn expensive hair braiding that the girls can't seem to resist (gives me the heebie jeebies!).

I don't plan on having either one of them spend time or $ going online. I'm sure they can survive for 9 days. Now if I can just figure out how to keep DH offline the whole trip!

Kids can really rack up the charges in the arcade- you put your seapass card in the machine and pick a amount for a arcade card- $10-40 just push the button and out pops the card and the charge is on your account. I observed a child around 7 buy 3 of the $40 cards in about 1 hrs time....

In the promonade area where they are selling all the stuff on portable displays I did overhear kids trying to buy a watch and the salesperson told them to bring their parent over first so they are being somewhat careful about letting kids buy expensive items.

We let our son, 12, have charging access, but he knew what would happen if he over did it. He bought a couple of sodas, 1 B&J icecream and 3-4 virgin drinks. We discussed the spending before the cruise and we were fine with what he did get. If he wanted to purchase something in the shops he asked first. Let the girls know what your expectations are and what their limit is. Check your seapass acount every day with the kids there so they know you can easily check up on it.

Bev

Archived