The Perfect Vehicle For...

Tatertot

Okay, ya'll have convinced me I need to rent vehicles instead of booking tours for me, mom, sis and niece for the PofAm 3/1/08. Everyone seems to get excited when upgraded to convertible. Is it the perfect vehicle for:

Honolulu -- PCC, Pearl Harbor, etc.

Hilo -- VNP

Maui -- RTH Day 1, general sightseeing, beach Day 2

Kona -- Place of Refuge, general sightseeing

Kauai -- Waimea Canyon Day 1, general sightseeing, beach Day 2

The Jeep Wrangler looks like it may be fun for Waimea maybe? Thanks in advance.

Aloha, We rented cars at every port but Kona, we rented from Thirfty car rental and chose a sub compact for each port and we were upgraded everytime. We had a PT cruiser for two days on Maui, a Dodge Chargeron Kaui, a Dodge Caravan on Hilo and a Nisson Sentra on Oahu on our last day. It probably cost an average of $ 35 a day plus gas. The only place that I would not recomend a convertable is Hilo because of all the Rain. Other then that if you want to save some $ and take a chance then chose the sub compact they never have them and I am sure you will get upgraded.

Same here, I rented with Thrifty and always got an upgrade. I spent 1 week in Oahu and I booked a sub-compact but instead got upgraded to a convertible for the week :) It was nice to have a connvertible, but it's not worth paying extra for it. I had to pull over on the side of the road a few times during my week in Oahu to close the roof because it started to rain. In Maui I was upgraded to a Dodge Magnum.

I always reserved compact cars, but got upgraded in each port except Kauai. I didn't want to get upgraded as gas is really expensive! We rented a convertable on our land vacation on Oahu last year, and didn't like it. It was too rainy, and the back seat is really small. My daughter HATED it!

The cars I had were:

Hilo: Monte Carlo (bad mileage, but very powerful)

Kahului: HHR (loved it!)

Kona: PT Cruiser (didn't care much for it)

Kauai: Cobalt (great mileage, OK car)

Honolulu: PT Cruiser (didn't care much for it)

The HHR was powerful enough for Haleakala, and comfortable. It also got good mileage.

YMMV, but I would rather not have a converable. They feel claustrophobic (a Jeep would be different and fun), and dark.

I agree with above poster, convertible is only fun for the front seat passengers and then if you don't mind getting wind blown... which of course is the fun of a conv. Of course you could be uncool like we were and ride with the top down and windows up as we used to do when we owned a conv. Back seaters are blown to smitherines and usually hate convs so with 4 I would go larger and more confortable. For touring comfort is the thing!

Archived