Kicked Off Ship

partsman

Hey Cookie38 don't let these folks who skim over stuff and just want to pounce get you down.

I understand that your point was that you appreciated the information about the potential consequences of "little" pranks - so that you could use the information for talking points with the twins.

My family just got back from a cruise and I had used several threads as examples for my DD (12YO) to open up some discussion. Boys may be boys, but gaggles of 12YO girls tend to be a bit gigglie and screamie so we had to have some conversations.

When DD met up with a gang of other 12YO girls who became inseparable on the trip, it was gratifying to see them following "the rules" -- no going anywhere alone, an adult always needs to know where you are and when you will be back, checking in regularly, inside voices at all times, etc. Fortunately we ended up with parents (of the girls) who had similar expectations and who shared chaperoning duties.

Roboat, that is a leap of logic. I took cookie's post to mean she was going to be more aware of what her children were doing.

so did I. It sounded to me that Cookie would sit her kids down and explain that a silly prank is not to be tolerated, is wrong and could get the family kicked off the ship.

As is so often the case in the forum, a question conerning incident(s) on a cruise or cruises has blossomed into a street fight where in this case some parents defending and rationalizing the acts of young people are in choke holds with others attacking their actions.

Let's just lay the subject to rest with the understanding that young people who cause annoyances to other passengers may be asked to leave the ship - no if's, and's or but's and no favoritism and exceptions. As I suggested in a previous reply, this should apply to adults as well.:mad:

As is so often the case in the forum, a question conerning incident(s) on a cruise or cruises has blossomed into a street fight where in this case some parents defending and rationalizing the acts of young people are in choke holds with others attacking their actions.

Let's just lay the subject to rest with the understanding that young people who cause annoyances to other passengers may be asked to leave the ship - no if's, and's or but's and no favoritism and exceptions. As I suggested in a previous reply, this should apply to adults as well.:mad:

I think the Grandeur Captain put some adults who were fighting in the Viking Crown Lounge off the ship in San Juan.

Thanks Sherri and Onessa....wow, I thought I was being realistic.

If anyone thinks their kids are perfect, wonderful for you!!!

Yes, I was using this thread as an example to use for my children. No one should live with blinders on....no child is perfect and what I was trying to get across is even the most reponsible parents sometimes run into situations with their children that isn't always expected. The key is how the parents handle it....yes, "boys will be boys".

Jeez, can't say anything on this board anymore....

:(

Thanks Sherri and Onessa....wow, I thought I was being realistic.

If anyone thinks their kids are perfect, wonderful for you!!!

Yes, I was using this thread as an example to use for my children. No one should live with blinders on....no child is perfect and what I was trying to get across is even the most reponsible parents sometimes run into situations with their children that isn't always expected. The key is how the parents handle it....yes, "boys will be boys".

Jeez, can't say anything on this board anymore....

:(

You're welcome. Folks who reported on the incidents really made your point about parents handling the situation. The parent who was belligerent after being informed of his son's out of control behavior was a major factor in the family being landed in Labadee and incurring the huge expenses to get home.

You have a beautiful family.

I am wondering if any of you have ever been in Haiti beside labadee????? We have been the second largest city is just 15 miles from the beach, with a major airport which we went back and forth to the US many times! It would be VERY easy for the company to have someone taken to the airport and flown home. I lived in cape haitian ( the nearest city) with our 3 small kids for 8 years, never had a problem. Dont believe all you read and we went to labadee every sat and we also were there on the days the ship was there so people do go in and out.

demodawn ~ First of all..... Awwww, your grandkids are the cutiest little pumpkins in the patch!!! :) :)

Secondly, Thank you! FINALLY, someone who KNOWS what they are talking about!! :D

I did not read through all 11 pages of posts, but on page 2, someone mentioned that parents shouldn't take kids on an older ship with "nothing" to do. I have 2 sons, 19 & 22. We started cruising with them when they were 5 & 8 when ships were smaller, and we never took them on a megaship. We were on the Splendor, sister ship to the Grandeur, in 1997. If you teach your children to behave appropriately, they will. If you encourage them to take part in the children's program, and don't give them the option, they will, and they will be entertained by the staff. There is no excuse for bad behavior in children. You are correct that their parents have a lot to do with it, but not because they brought them on a ship that was too small. I also always had my sons dress appropriately for dinner, so when my son went on 2 RCCL cruises with his fraternity brothers, they knew what appropriate was.

I did not read through all 11 pages of posts, but on page 2, someone mentioned that parents shouldn't take kids on an older ship with "nothing" to do.
Think you and I have the same mindset -- the excuse for the teens' bad behavior that the ship was too old and too small resulting in their having nothing to do is beyond ridiculous. This type of thinking points to parents who overindulge their kids, work overtime to ensure that the little darlings are not bored and ensure that their kids do not learn to take responsibility for their behavior.

Three cheers for the Captain for kicking this family or families off the ship.

Im curious, if they discipline for such- why doesnt RCI make efforts to patrol the hot tubs better? I would like to see 'little children' told that either they are not allowed in the hot tubs OR not for an extended period of time with their entire 1o yr old posse, ignoring the fact that their are adults patiently waiting? As well as parents that take their barely 2 year old into the hot tub for well over an acceptable time period PLUS in diapers? Pls RCI get some discipline going for these annoying actions!!

We just sailed on the Enchantment of the Seas with several children of our own and around 500 on the ship. Since there were several adults with us also, our children didn't have a chance to misbehave -- there were too many eyes watching! The hot tub rules were strictly enforced, I felt. I took my 2 sons to the pool one night and we were one of 2 families there. I stood by the hot tub so the boys could warm up in there and was told they couldn't be in there if I wasn't in with them. Since I wasn't planning on swimming, they got out and swam instead. I thought there was a good rotation of people in the hot tub during the day as well. I saw a couple of people reminded about the "no-diapers-in-the-pool" rule and they gladly complied.

My only complaint about the children was the lack of activities for the 15 to 17 year old group. THey seemed displaced and were the wandering crowd, I felt.

We have 2 boys (6 & 8) and our waiter complimented us on how well behaved they are. He said he told his collegues how he had 2 little boys that were very well behaved. Proud mamma moment.

Our children were with us the entire cruise with the exception of 3-4 times they were in adventure ocean. If they misbehaved we were right there to correct them.

I noticed lots of kids running around (a bit older though) alone, but they never bothered us...I guess we were focused on other things. The beauty of the ship and surroundings!

I did see the tender leave the ship at Labadee with people carrying suitcases. I wondered what they were doing...then the captain made his announcement. I was really shocked...he said they were kicked off for "beligerant" (sp?) behavior. Later in his ship presentation in the theatre, when asked, he said "they made the decision very easy for him". Hmmmm don't mess with the captain!

Great cruise, fantastic memories!

Dorothy

My only complaint about the children was the lack of activities for the 15 to 17 year old group. THey seemed displaced and were the wandering crowd, I felt.

Were there very few activities for that age group or did the kids choose not to go to the activities?

Reading Cruise critic posts is about the best lesson in societal trends and nuances there is out there.

I find it amazing the number of folkdswho have posted all in a titter as if they are personally being singled out because they do certain things with their kids or not. If you are confident in what you are doing is correct, then there is zero need to justify your behavior to anyone, least of all a bunch of anonomous posters to some thread in cyberspace. On the other hand if you are not confident then the old Shakespearean quote I fear you protest too much, may be more accurate.

On my last cruise in Nassau, the security guards were taking a passenger off the ship IN HANDCUFFS. I have no idea what happened, and I heard no gossip around the ship. Maybe someone else has the scoop!!!

If you are talking about 11/14 on Sovereign, here's the scoop. The person in handcuffs was a crew member who was arrested in March and had been in jail in Nassau since that time. His trial was going on and they brought the jury & him to the ship to see the crime scene.

We saw the same thing you did and then asked one of the bartenders. He gave us the general story and we found the details in the Bahama Journal on-line when we got home. By the way, he was acquitted.

approx $400-500 per person if booked same day without the 14 day wait

Well on the bright side... one could probably stay in a local hotel in Haiti for the 14 days and come out ahead on the overall price! :rolleyes:

Theron

On our last cruise onboard the Grandeur, two years ago, there was a large family of foreign speaking people (I believe they were Greek). They let their 4-6 kids run all over the ship night and day. I know of at least 10 other people that complained about the kids running up and down the halls knocking on doors and not much being done about it. When I went to complain, I was told, the staff already knew and was trying to work with the parents. I overhead some cre members talking about it one morning and state the parents refused to do anything about the kids. Well by our third night of interrupted sleep, I was at wits end. I called the desk at least 3 times in one night and they would send somone up and the kids would disappear until they left and it would start all over again. I finally had enough. I waited for one of the boys to run down the hall, opened my door and stuck my arm out, clotheslining the little brat in the chest. Yes I know I could have faced assault charges. Yes he fell down and was shocked and ran away crying. I received a knock on my door about 10 minutes later from the father who surprisingly spoke perfect english. He started yelling at me. I explained what happened and told him if he had any more problems controlling his brats to let me know and closed my door. End of story, they stayed away from our floor.

I know it was wrong what I did but since sleep depivation has a way of messing with one's mind, I did get the result I wanted. No children running up and down the hall knocking on door and cursing at people when they told them to stop. This was one time I wished a group had been thrown off the ship the first day. Knowing my actions were wrong I would have understood if I had been tossed off the ship. I know it will never happen again because I will complain so many time they will have to do something about it. OF course our last ship had perfect wonderful children, I wondered truly if they were aliens in childrens bodies. This was a cruise to Alaska, maybe the cold slowed them down.

Archived