Single Mom Cruising with Two Kids

Quincella

It's a girls trip! I'm planning to take my two girls (ages 11 and 5) on a cruise for spring break in April 2008. Right now I'm leaning toward a 5 day to the Western Caribbean on the NCL Jewel, for a variety of reasons. First, I love NCL and think that freestyle will be perfect for the kids. Second, I've been on the Western itinerary several times and will be more comfortable, I think, going places I've already been. Finally, 5 days could be just about right with just me corralling the girls. That said....what are your thoughts? Are there better kids clubs, in your opinion? Other than Disney, because that's out of the question. Are there any other single mom's out there who have cruised just with your kids? What were the best parts? The worst? Thanks in advance for sharing...

I've cruised with my two oldest, aged 8 and 11 at the time. We're going on two more cruises in the next year.

I liked RCCL because of the assigned dining. Since I have no other adults in our little group, either on land or at sea, it was great to sit and get to know other adults on the cruise. On the cruise that I took the kids on, we were seated with another single mom and her son, who was in between the ages of my two. We all hung out for the rest of the cruise and are planning to go on a cruise together again.

RCCL is highly rated for kids. The Voyager class and the Freedom class of ships have the most for them to do.

Hi- I have sailed on NCL with my two kids and also with my extended family and friends (4X) I had a great time on each ship. I have not sailed the Jewel but have heard great things about it.

I think you will have a wonderful time and wouldn't hesitate to book it. I am a single Mom and cruising is the most relaxing form of travel for me. It is safe- there is built in childcare- the service is wonderful and the kids have a ball.

As for the youth program- my son (age 5 at the time) had a wonderful time in the youth program and I felt that he was in good hands. I think older kids will have a ball on NCL.

I do agree that it is better to choose the assigned seating- which you can do on Norwegian. I say this because I got to know other similar people this way. Chances are that your kids are going to become involved with other kids or the youth program and you will be left to your own devices.

I'm a single mom with twin toddlers and the three cruises we've been on have been the most stress-free, bonding weeks we've had, since all we have to do is get dressed and spend time enjoying each other. My mom used to take my sister and I on cruises when we were kids too.

I love assigned seating because the waiters get to know you quickly and take such great care of us - drinks on the table, etc. - that meals are very smooth.

I've never done a five day cruise, but I know that I'm never ready for a seven day voyage to be over, so I'd lean toward a week if you can afford it, but perhaps a five day if you're unsure of how it will go.

Since you asked, the only down side I can think of is that I've felt little pangs of self-pity when I see the more "traditional" families enjoying their vacations - but that can happen on any trip, and a cruise is the best place to be able to mingle with strangers who quickly become friends, because you can join in with others at the games, activities and excursions. Also, I feel completely safe wandering around a ship at any hour with my kids, which isn't necessary the case on other kinds of trips we've taken.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

I'm a big fan of NCL myself, especially for families. As far as meeting people goes, though, I much prefer the cruisecritic roll call to being seated with strangers that you have to endure for the entire cruise. Certainly sometimes you luck out and get some really great people... but I've also had 'other' experiences. On our last cruise, we met a wonderful couple on the roll call with a daughter the same size as ours. Because we didn't have preassigned seating, we were able to eat with them almost every night, and our children were practically inseparable. I think NCL is a great choice, combined with time on your roll call getting to know some people you'll be sailing with. :)

On our upcoming cruise, a tour we were interested in wasn't offered on the day we're going to be in port... but enough people on our roll call were interested that they're doing it for us. Roll calls are wonderful!!

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. I love cruising in general. Both of my girls have been before and have been begging to go again.

I've never been on a cruise I didn't like, but I do love NCL. That said, Carnival has some fantastic deals, and although I haven't been on RCCL for quite some time, I did love that line as well. Now all I have to do is decide which one to book! :-)

Thanks again.

Archived