Hotel for one night? Santo Domingo

runrgrl

We're hoping to fly in a day early for our march 9th cruise on Legend. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel to stay in for one night? WE want something nice, but not too pricey, and close to the ship. Thanks!!!

We are sailing on the Legend,February 10th and are spending two nights prior to the cruise at the Renaissance Jaragua in Santo Domingo. It is located on George Washington Avenue and offers great ocean views. RCI offers this hotel for what I consider an outrageous per person price, even if you factor in the cost of transfers, but we were able to book this hotel for $80 per night. The hotel is about a 25 minute ride from the airport and the pier is a fairly short cab ride away from the hotel. Check the hotel out on the Marriott website. There are also a Hilton and a Courtyard by Marriott nearby that may also fit your requirements.:) You might also want to check out the Ports of Call boards for more info on Santo Domingo and the Dominican Republic.

Which itinerary are you doing. We are on a sailing that visits St. Kitts, Martinique, Guadaloupe, Barbados, and St. Lucia.

Thanks! That's the same itinerary that we are taking. Still trying to sort out flights. WE're up in Ontario and will probably have to drive to NYC to get a decent price. (385$)

We are flying American Airlines from Boston connecting in Miami. The price has come down a few times since we originally booked and we did get some flight coupons for the difference in fares minus the rebooking fee, so we get to put them towards our flights to Florida next week. Flight to Miami leaves Logan at the ungodly hour of 5am but we do get to Santo Domingo in the afternoon and we preferred the option of connecting in Miami rather than in NY, especially in February.

Have you checked out the excursions? We have been to some of the islands before and will probably wait until we get there before we book anything. In St. Kitts, however, we decided that the Sugar Train looked interesting and so we have already booked that. It is pricey but seems to be a unique way to tour the island.:)

The hotel looks great- thanks!

I'll look into Boston flights too!

I've looked briefly at the excursions- I definitely want to go to the volcano but other than that we haven't decided either. WE haven't been to any of these Islands. Any suggestions?

The hotel looks great- thanks!

I'll look into Boston flights too!

I've looked briefly at the excursions- I definitely want to go to the volcano but other than that we haven't decided either. WE haven't been to any of these Islands. Any suggestions?

Not a lot of suggestions. A lot of the islands are basically beach excursion type places that you can probably arrange on your own when you get off the ship. In such places we frequently bargain with a taxi driver to take us to a good beach and have him return at a set time to take us back to the ship. If you do this, just make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to get back before the ship is scheduled to sail. In Barbados, there are some historic sites to view and Harrisons Caves may be worth your time. The capitol city is a good spot for shopping, especially British goods. Be careful if you go to any of the beaches on the Atlantic side of the island as the undertow can be very treacherous. I did the Atlantis submarine excursion some years back and enjoyed it but it is one of those "once you've done it there's no need to repeat it" things and if you are looking to party the Jolly Roger Pirate cruise is generally a good time. Martinique features the site of the Mt. Pelé volcano eruption which destroyed an entire town. There was only one survivor - a prisoner in the local jail. There is a museum on the site of the original town with some fascinating exhibits. If your library has a good selection of travel guides you might want to read up on the islands you will visit and see if there are any specific sites you would like to see while you are there.:)

Archived