Westerdam or Zuiderdam?

jmk22574

Thank you to the folks who answered my post yesterday regarding which ships would be doing roundtrips out of Seattle to Alaska in 2009. It looks like the Zuiderdam and Westerdam will be the two Vista class ships. We had a great cruise this past September on the Noordam and would like to stick with a Vista class ship. That being said, if anyone has had experience on one or the other of these two ships, or better yet has cruised on both, would you give the edge to one over the other, and if so, why?

From the little bit of research I've done, it seems as though the Westerdam might be a bit more traditional, maybe more like the Noordam, while the Zuiderdam has more vibrant colors, possibly resembling a Carnival cruise-type atmosphere more than any of the other Vistas. The Zuiderdam was the first of the Vista class ships, the Westerdam the third.

Again, we really enjoyed the atmosphere on the Noordam, and any and all opinions would be welcome - thank you! :)

Jill

We haven't been on the Zuiderdam (yet) but it is probably the Vista most in need of a refubishment ... which it will get in Apr '08. Between the Noordam and Westerdam I preferred the Noordam a bit more, mainly because it was newer at the time ... but now the Westerdam has been through its major refit, and is the "newer" of those two.

For Alaska I really don't think the ship is as important as the itinerary. Choose whichever ship goes to the most glaciers or ports that you haven't seen yet. If you haven't been to either Hubbard or Glacier Bay, I would suggest that you go to Hubbard first.

I have sailed both, neither to Alaska. I liked them both...was on Westerdam this Oct and Zuiderdm 2 x last year. The decor on Westerdam is more nuetral. The service on Zuiderdam was better but the service on HAL is amazing anyway. I have to say if I had to make a choice again it would be

Zuiderdam. I cant really say why but both times on Zuiderdam were just amazing so maybe thats why............I'd say you cant go wrong with either one!

We haven't been on the Zuiderdam (yet) but it is probably the Vista most in need of a refubishment ... which it will get in Apr '08. Between the Noordam and Westerdam I preferred the Noordam a bit more, mainly because it was newer at the time ... but now the Westerdam has been through its major refit, and is the "newer" of those two.

For Alaska I really don't think the ship is as important as the itinerary. Choose whichever ship goes to the most glaciers or ports that you haven't seen yet. If you haven't been to either Hubbard or Glacier Bay, I would suggest that you go to Hubbard first.

But keep in mind that by the time Alaska 09 comes around, if we're correct in assuming it's the Westerdam, Zuiderdam and Amsterdam... The Zuiderdam will have more recently been refurbished, expanded, etc than the Westerdam at that time...

I've been on the Westerdam and LOVED it, haven't been on the Zuiderdam. Planning on the Westerdam for 2008 Alaska though and looking forward to going back!

We have sailed on both, loved both, and found little difference. Somehow I think I prefer the art on Z a bit -- especially the Venitian masks on the way to the dining room. Just passing them made my mouth water!;)

I would pick by itinerary and dates without worrying about which of the two.

Check out our cruise page in my sig for reviews and pics of both.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived