Review: NCL Sun 11/17-11/24: long

momthewriter

Just got back from our Thanksgiving cruise and wanted to share some thoughts. Overall, it was very, very good. Okay, so everyone asks about the food. As someone else said, I've had better, I've had worse. The best way I can describe it...dining room breakfasts were very good. The portions are fairly small, (ie two small french toast triangles; tiny hashbrown rounds; etc.) Of course, you're on a cruise, order two! That easily solves that problem. The breakfast buffet was a real zoo, but if you go to Pacific Heights for waffles, coffee, juice, bacon, etc. it's very peaceful. Loved that. Buffet lunch was nuts, too. We mostly went to the pizza/pasta thing in Pacific Heights or grabbed something outside.

Dinners in the dining room were good. The fish was usually great, appetizers and soups always good. Entrees were a little spotty, but there was always something else to choose! I would say that the entrees were what you would expect, or maybe a little better than in a local chain restaurant, ie. Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, Bennigan's. For the most part not outstanding, but quite reliable. Breads were yummy. Desserts were always tasty...ice cream always offered for the less adventurous.

Room service "pre-breakfast" was always fresh and on-time. If you're quite hungry, order two of everything.

I thought the chocolate event was delicious. There were literally hundreds of confections to choose from. I have been on over 10 cruises, and I even took pictures! Chocolate fountain, eclairs, chocolate covered caramel apples, cookies, pastries, chocolate sculptures. Yum. What was sort of disgusting, though, was that people were taking enormous plates of these desserts, then leaving them half-eaten at the tables. What a waste. It was fun, nonetheless.

The steakhouse was very, very good and worth the money. My husband had the filet and said it was really awesome. My brother had the large prime rib, and said it was very good. I had salmon that wasn't great (it was a steakhouse, not a fish house!) Can't remember what my son had, but he said it was okay. If you are a meat-eater, I think you'll like it.

Pacific Heights was okay. A lot of people on this board have great things to say, but I wasn't overly impressed. It wasn't bad, just not to my liking.

We didn't eat in any of the other specialty restaurants.

Snacks were abundant...always something to eat, somewhere. As well as coffee, tea, etc.

Freestyle was a little weird for us, and I kind of missed assigned tables, etc. But, service was very good. We were there for Thanksgiving dinner, which was barely controlled chaos. But, when you have 2,200 people ready for turkey at the same time, that is to be expected. They only initially prepared enough turkey for 1,500, so there was a large lag time. We were there at 6:00, so we were fine. It took quite a while to get food, coffe, etc., but about what we expected. The staff was doing the very best they could. I heard that by 7:00 there was a 20 minute wait for the dining room. I'd believe it.

I think that's the food round-up.

Cabin rundown. We were on the lowest deck (4). We had an outside cabin (4219) and it was very nice. Small, of course, but quite functional. A plus: lots of underbed room so both suitcases fit. Our cabin steward Abraham and his partner (can't remember his name) were on top of things. Everything was clean and tidy. Small snafus (like our hairdryer broke) were fixed super-fast (same day). We asked for the egg crate the second day, and they put it right on. The bed was a little on the firm side for us. I was surprised at how good the service was, considering our category (GG). Have had problems with that in the past. Shower was tall (yay) and mucho hot water and pressure. Had to ask for a couple extra towels, which was never a problem. We left post-its on the mirror if we needed anything. Was a good system.

We went on three excursions. My husband and brother went on the beer tour in Belize. They said the factory tour was about 15 minutes, but then they got all the free beer they wanted. They liked that.

My son and I went to the Altun Ha ruins and city tour. That was really fun...worth the money. There was a gigantic downpour while we were in the "plaza" of the ruins, and we all took off running to huddle under trees. People were demanding money back due to rain. Oh, please! One thing--bring some bug spray, I got bites that are still with me a week later. And bring sunscreen and water and a snack. It's HOT!

We went on the Eco-Jeep tour in Cozumel that was wild and fun! I thought we were just going to toodle down the beach...NOT! We were all racing down the highway at 120 kph, drove through the backstreets of Cozumel, over hill and dale to the beach, to the eco park. Be sure to know how to drive a manual, though! It was bumpy and crazy and fun. They put you 4 to a jeep, so you might be with strangers. Snorkeling was included and fun...though that beach was rocky.

Didn't plan anything for Roatan. It's so, so poor there...makes me remember how lucky we are. Bought a few trinkets.

Private island was actually fun. Lots of room to spread out. Snagged chairs and sat in the shade. Decent lunch, lots of bars. :-) Go to the beach on the left side, as you look at the island. Much less crowded.

My 13 yo son was in the teen program with about 45 other kids (holiday week.) He had a great time...hardly ever saw him.

Embark, debark were both really smooth. We did express debark as we had a 12:30 flight. We were off the ship and in a cab by 7:30. Checked in and at the gate by 8:30. First time for that!

I have to say, the service on the Sun was a joy. Everyone, and I mean everyone was friendly. From the freestyle dining room waiters to the staff walking by in the hall, it was great.

Sorry for the length...just got going there! Disclaimer: everything here is just my opinion. Everyone has a different experience. I know there are those who will disagree with everything I said! Like the lady who stole the chocolate covered strawberries from my plate at the chocolate thing while I was taking a photo! Or the guy onboard who wanted a partial refund because he didn't get the extra towels he asked for. So, that's it. Thanks for reading! "-)

Just got back from our Thanksgiving because he didn't get the extra towels he asked for. So, that's it. Thanks for reading! "-)

Thanks for the review - It was great - well written.

Loved your comments re: stolen strawberries / refund seekers etc..

If you'd wanted to be miserable, you could have been, but like those of us who enjoy life, you enjoyed. Thanks Again.

Your great review made me even MORE excited (is that possible) for my cruise on the Sun December 15th.

I do have to say - I am SO confused at what food is offered when, where. How did you keep track?

Thank you for taking the time to write the review. I find that the Sun is one of the least posted about ships - why is that?

As for the reviews, I think a lot of people drop off after their cruise, and don't come back to CC until they are ready for their next one. I can tell you that we had 70+ people on our roll call for this cruise, and only 6 showed up for the CC party. That's just how it goes, I guess.

Thanks for the review of the Sun! We'll be on board in a couple weeks and are looking forward to the trip....I'm always glad when people post reviews. Did they have movies shown on a big screen onboard? My husband is a movie buff.

First, thanks for the review - our first cruise ever will be on the SUN in March with our kids and we just can't wait.

Your opinion about the food on the SUN is pretty much on par with other reviews. The buffet is just OK, the main dining room is better and Pacific Heights and the other $$ restaurants are even better. Am I right on that?

About Pacific Heights, is a reservation required for breakfast or lunch and can you get a complete meal there or do you still need to get some items elsewhere?

... can't come fast enough! It's 3/38 in Toronto this morning.

We leave on Dec. 15, which is 18 days, if you count the travel day. I can't believe how quickly it seems to be going now!

Great review. Sounds like the food will be good and there'll be plenty of places to work it off - both on and off the ship. :)

It will be interesting to see how many people show up for the CC meeting we're semi-organizing once we get on the ship.

... can't come fast enough! It's 3/38 in Toronto this morning.

We leave on Dec. 15, which is 18 days, if you count the travel day. I can't believe how quickly it seems to be going now!

Great review. Sounds like the food will be good and there'll be plenty of places to work it off - both on and off the ship. :)

It will be interesting to see how many people show up for the CC meeting we're semi-organizing once we get on the ship.

Archived