Stingray city

gazeto

I am going on a cruise this winter and one of our destinations is the Grand Cayman islands. I am afraid to death of deep water. My feet not being able to touch the grounds really freaks me out. It's a long story. For that reason I was never able to learn how to swim.

I am braving up to go to Stingray City through with one of the private off-shore companies and my question is will ever be in deeper than say 5 feet water during the Stingray City swim?

The first time we were there, we were in water that was up to my chin (I'm 5' tall). The place was packed, and our boat anchored where it could. The other times it's always been shallow. One time it was barely up to our knees. I don't think you have to worry about it being over 5' deep, in fact, the odds are it will be much more shallow where you are. I just wanted to post our experiences because we were told that you'll never be in deeper water, but we were the one time. A lot depends on the weather and how crowded it is there and where they anchor. But it was still great. :)

My wife has the same fears concerning deep water. As long as she can touch the bottom, she's OK. However, she has this idea in her head that the boat will have to anchor in deep water and we'll have to swim to the sand bar. What is the possibility that we will in fact have to swim to the sand bar?

You do not have to swim to the sand bar. There is an area that is deeper than the other but even in the deeper area I was still able to touch bottom. I have been to Stingray City twice...the first time was with Carnival and there was over 100 of us and we anchored at the deeper area. The second time I went I booked with a private company (Soto's cruises) and there was about 20 of us. We anchored in the shallower area. It was great! Soto's does two other snorkeling stops in addition to Stingray City but you do not have to get off the boat if you don't want to. Hope this helps.

My wife has the same fears concerning deep water. As long as she can touch the bottom, she's OK. However, she has this idea in her head that the boat will have to anchor in deep water and we'll have to swim to the sand bar. What is the possibility that we will in fact have to swim to the sand bar?

You won't have to swim to the sandbar, you'll anchor there. We just happened to be in one of the deeper areas the first time. The chances of that happening are slim, but I thought I'd mention it since it happened to us (and I was NOT expecting this-everyone said the water at most, came to their waist). The time that happened, we must have been on the outer edge or something, but the place was packed, so they anchored where they could. We still had a very enjoyable time. :)

We just returned last week from our Grand Princess cruise when we stopped at Grand Cayman.

We used Nativeway Watersports Tours and went on the Sting Ray City, Starfish, Coral Gardens snorkel trip that was wonderful. Our captain and photographer were wonderful. Non of my family wanted to do this tour but me and afterward, that was one of the highlights of our cruise!

I loved the people with Nativeway! They were so helpful and kind!

My husband and sons went to 7 mile beach while I shopped around the shops by the pier. It was a great day!

We were in Grand Cayman on Thanksgiving and did the Stingray City, Snorkeling, Hell and Turtle Farm tour through Captain Marvin's. We anchored at the deep end as well. I'm 5' and the water was up to my chin, it seemed a little rough the day that we were there. We were one of the first boats out there, but it quickly got crowded with other boats. I was expecting shallower water, but I was fine. I could still touch the bottom so it was no problem!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived