Hotels for Miami-Cheap?

Aerobic1

There are twelve of us cruising on the Valor on 2/24 to Miami. We're looking for a cheap hotel not far from the Port to stay overnight at that perhaps is inexpensive but offer shuttles from the airport to hotel or from the hotel to the port. Any ideas appreciated.

You will get more answers if you post this on the ports section. But to answer your question, we stayed across the street from Bayside Marketplace where we could see the ship from our rooms (Holiday Inn Bayside Marketplace). I think we paid $99.

the Holiday Inn is we re planning to stay..the airport is about 9 mile s from

the port..not far at all by calif. standard s..

if all ur going to do is come in the day befor this would be the ideal place to stay..the port bridge is less that qtr mile away..but, they do not have a shuttle but, cab s are readily available each morning..

there s another hotel a block away on biscayne..cheaper but, not as nice base d on review s i ve read..

Bayside Market is across the street from the hotel with lot s of shop s should you lose any of your luggage:( ..we plan to drop off our luggage at the hotel..then spend the day at Bayside..or take a cab over to south beach..

For a hotel, or even a motel, in February in Miami, you need not wait until the last minute, and given that February is the highest peak of the high season down here, you won't find anything "cheap", not even a sleeping bag under a bridge. LOL Not trying to burst your bubble, but just please understand that February is a heavily booked time of year due to all of the events that are going on in Miami during that month. You should at least reserve something NOW that you can cancel later, if and when you find a better deal. The good news is that you'll be avoiding the Miami Boat Show which, during that week, you're likely to pay hundreds of dollars per night for a basic hotel anywhere in Miami. No kidding! When we were here two years ago looking for a hotel room during the second week of February, there was nothing available short of rooms with rates in the 4 digit range. We ended up staying on a friend's charteryacht in Fort Lauderdale for the couple of extra days we unexpectedly found ourselves in Miami that time, only because his charter cancelled. We were lucky!

Hotels near the airport will usually be less expensive than those downtown or near the waterfront, and most them will have airport/hotel shuttles. Amenities such as restaurants within walking distance or stores to get last minute items, however, will be limited or obsolete for airport hotel locations. I do not know of anyone who shuttles to/from the port for free, but I have a vague recollection of someone on this board mentioning not too very long ago that he found one such hotel who would do that shuttle. I'm sorry I don't remember the precise details. Maybe someone who paid more attention than I did will speak up.

sometime s i get a brain freeze visiting so many hotel site s..googling Port of Miami, seattle, san pedro..and the airport s:confused:

now that all is set for san pedro gotta look for flight s to hawaii :)

at the same time trying to set up flight s and hotel in miami..

and the wife also want s to do alaska befor all the snow melt s :confused:

There are twelve of us cruising on the Valor on 2/24 to Miami. We're looking for a cheap hotel not far from the Port to stay overnight at that perhaps is inexpensive but offer shuttles from the airport to hotel or from the hotel to the port. Any ideas appreciated.

If you don't have your rooms booked for a Feb date in Miami for 12 people, you will be out of luck on any of your "wishes". And you better book NOW! Most cruisers have had those rooms booked at least 6 months ago.

First of all don't even look "near the port" unless you are willing to pay $250 or more per room. Start looking near the airport. It's only about $25-30 for a cab from the hotels to the port. There are a few hotels offering shuttles, which you can find on these threads. But with your large group, that certainly wouldn't be a priority if you're thinking you all want to be at the same hotel.

Your best bet now is to research ideas for airport hotels on these threads and start looking for availability at them on their websites. If you understand "cheap" is over a hundred dollars in Feb., you might find something if you do your research. Good luck!

By the way. Those that mentioned hotels they got for under a hundred dollars did NOT get those rates in February! So don't dream.

Just reserved La Quinta East,Miami.Free shuttle from airport and to cruiseship terminal and free breakfast.Got it for $85.50,AAA rate, for April 19.

Re: La Quinta

I've read others having good luck here because it's clean, cheap, and shuttles to and from airport and to the port. I just tried to book on Expedia just FYI for others... La Quinta North does NOT offer a port shuttle, only an airport shuttle. Port shuttle from North will cost $36 for two ppl.

I think the La Quinta North was $5 cheaper but with no cruiseship shuttle it was better to pay the extra $5 and have transportation.I booked directly through La Quinta website.It is also cancellable up until that day in case I find something better on Priceline.

Geema,on their website is shows just the two beds,that I see.You can always call and ask.Luggage can always be put in the corner of the room.What we do when we stay in a hotel is put clothes for the night and next day in a carry-on and do not have to worry about opening suitcases.I am sure it will be fine.Did you check it out for your date?

the hotel s near the airport s are by far the cheaper..and most offer shuttle s between the airport and hotels..and a few do offer shuttle s to

the port..

however, ive read from various hotel review s that the shuttle s are limit d to just a couple shuttle trip s to the port..remember they also have to shuttle people to and from the airport as well..as a result they wait d and

eventually had to call taxi and got there later than plan d..

for your group..i doubt u ll be able to reserve a shuttle all to yourselve s unless you book a limo service..but, first get your hotel reservation s out of the way..then start looking for private shuttle and limo service s if you

want to travel together..otherwise you ll need 4 taxi s..

btw..cheapest hotel near the airport is Days Inn..a AAA 3star..

has airport pick-up and port shuttle..alot of people like the idea

of 4 and 5 star hotel s with all the bell s and whistle s..but, having

look d at their webpage it s as good or better than any of the

hotel s ive stay d at up at yosemite..

i don t think it s appropriate to post any link s to hotel s..but google

Days Inn, miami airport..the hotel is locate d next and north of the

airport..

I checked and La Quinta East is cheaper than Days Inn for my date of April 19.It might be different for other dates.I got it a little cheaper for being AAA member.Always put that in your search,if you are one,for maybe a better rate.

2boyzmom, You are right not fancy. I booked this hotel as a priority member and everyone in my party was upset with me. It smelled as if it had mildew and was not very clean. We have been to Miami for a cruise atleast 5 times since and we have never gone back. Several had a problem with the shuttle as many were taking it and they also used it for the airport.

Good luck. Hope things have changed.

2boyzmom, You are right not fancy. I booked this hotel as a priority member and everyone in my party was upset with me. It smelled as if it had mildew and was not very clean. We have been to Miami for a cruise atleast 5 times since and we have never gone back. Several had a problem with the shuttle as many were taking it and they also used it for the airport.

Good luck. Hope things have changed.

Yup- I read the reviews...Last year we paid big bucks to stay at the Intercontinental in San Juan for a pre cruise stay and we were not thrilled to say the least. President's week the prices are outrageous and this is Valentine's Day no less... So- yes- we will grin and bear our 1 night stay.

Archived