Shasa Day Trip

dnialcdlo

We just got back from a week on the Carnival Destiny. Prior to reaching Barbados my husband had set up a port tour with Captain Jason on his Shasa catamaran. What a fun day! While most cruisers got off the ship and onto a huge catamaran with a bunch of strangers and noise, my family of 4, alone with two other families, boarded a smaller catamaran. We were warmly greeted by Jason and wisped away to our first snorkeling stop. We headed to the area to swim with the turtles but Jason could see it was very crowded so we turned and went snorkeling to see sunken ships first. We later went back to the turtles. The captain found out from other captain friends where the turtles were, and then hopped into the water along with us and fed the turtles to lure them even closer. Then headed to a secluded beach to frolic while he set up lunch. Out of nowhere, a HUGE spread of food was set up. You would have thought he was feeding about 20 people! There was a nice variety of food - everything from fish and chicken to macaroni and cheese. Everyone was happy, including the parents who were all sipping wine! We were treated so well, were always safe, and met some great friends whom we continually ran into back on board the Carnival ship. I would highly recommend your swimming with the turtles day to be done in a small group being pampered by Jason. Check it out at http://www.shasacatamarancruises.com/

I would suggest the 5 hour. Unfortunately, there was another family on the day we went that signed up for the 3 hour and because of that, we had to stick near the pier. Jason did a great job of making it a great day for us, but he did mention as we were leaving that had everyone on board gone with the 5 hour day, we could have headed further away to another spot with turtles that is a lot less crowded. Apparently when you do the 3 hour it limits you to the area where all the cruise catamarans go. He has more "captain liberties" when everyone on board is on for the day.

Oh, I know that feeling of being tired. This day is totally a relaxing one though. You won't feel worn out afterwards. In fact, a point came where the kids all jumped off the boat and swam around right off the side of the boat while the adults sat on board sipping rum punch and chatting. Believe me, it won't wear you out :)

Archived