Waterproof Help for a Camera?

katredd

Hello all -- We are headed to Alaska next August and I'd like to get some kind of waterproof type protection for dh's camera as a Christmas gift. He's got a Nikon D70 (digital SLR) and he is an avid photographer. I can see issues with it when we are on whale watches or other activiites where it could get wet. I am wondering if any of you have a good suggestion on a case -- am looking to order the Ewa-Marine U-AZ that will accomodate a telephoto lense... it is pricey. Anyone have any experience with these or others they'd suggest? Many thanks as always!

I basically have the same question. I just purchased a Panasonic DMC-FZ8 (based on recommendations from these threads and a lot of research) and I'm also wondering if I should be concerned about it getting wet. My binoculars are waterproof but what about my camera? I have a case, but I wouldn't consider it waterproof and of course that's not going to help when I'm actually using the camera. Is this simply a case of being careful (and judicious use of an umbrella)? :rolleyes:

Thanks for any advice.

You are not likely to get splashed on a whale watching excursion, but it is often rain/drizzling in Alaska.

I took the Kata Rain Cover:

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=229&cid=61&perentId=4&ProdLine=4

on my Alaska cruise this summer. It looks pretty goofy, but I was able to shoot in drizzle and a light/medium rain. I probably could have shot in a heavier rain, but I didn't try.

You are not likely to get splashed on a whale watching excursion, but it is often rain/drizzling in Alaska.

I took the Kata Rain Cover:

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=229&cid=61&perentId=4&ProdLine=4

on my Alaska cruise this summer. It looks pretty goofy, but I was able to shoot in drizzle and a light/medium rain. I probably could have shot in a heavier rain, but I didn't try.

Thanks for this posting...I had a constant drizzle when I went on the whale watching in September..could have used this, will get one for next trip...

I use a 2 gallon ZipLock storage bag. Simply cut a hole in one corner large enough for your lens to fit and then you have the regular opening for access to the controls etc.. I always keep a few in my camera bag for unexpected rain. Works great and doesn't take up a lot of room. I use it with 300mm zoom lens with no problem.

I use a 2 gallon ZipLock storage bag. Simply cut a hole in one corner large enough for your lens to fit and then you have the regular opening for access to the controls etc.. I always keep a few in my camera bag for unexpected rain. Works great and doesn't take up a lot of room. I use it with 300mm zoom lens with no problem.

Wow!! That's an even cheaper option :p. I think I might just give that a try before buying anything.

Thanks,

I know this works for Splash Mountain. :p

Will rain seep through the center openning and get into your camera? I am hoping for some more details. But it may not as complicated as I had imagined. :)

I have never had a problem with the camera getting wet even in some fairly heavy rain. I sometimes partially zip the bag closed to minimize the opening in extreme conditions. I find that I have adequate access to the controls, etc. even with the bag partially zipped closed. I use an Olympus eVolt e500 DSLR. Try and find a comfortable and workable solution for yourself prior to actually having to use it in a wet environment to bring up your comfort level.

Chuck

Even if you buy an expensive waterproof case, be sure to have your supply of Zip-Loc bags along. I don't cut holes in them until the time of use in case I need them for something else along the way.

If all else fails, a cheap shower cap works as well. I've gotten really soaked in Alaska (many, many trips there) but the closest I came to damaging a camera was when I slipped crossing a stream and nearly dunked one. Be sure to use a neck strap!

Archived