do u use anti-anxiety med for flying???

bnsilly

My Dr. gave me Serax which helps a lot. I think it is closely relate to Xanax and Ativan. It's fairly mild and doesn't make me sleepy so I can still navigate the airport and be alert if need be - it just takes the edge off panicky feeling I get up in the air. I know the fear is irrational - I just have a strange fear of the plane falling out of the sky at 30,000 feet. Talk to your dr. - only they can decide what is best for you. I also like that the Serax doesn't give me the groggy feeling afterward like Benadryl or Tylenol PM does.

Tylenol PM is NOT an anti-anxiety drug.

Tylenol PM will NOT cure anxiety, it is a moderate analgesic for relief of pain, and nothing else.

BnB

Actually, benadryl (which is in Tylenol PM) has been shown to be fairly effective for a large number of people with anxiety-related disorders. It is also used as a mild sleep aid.

Ativan works for me. I have never had a fear of flying but I have started having panic attacks from being closed in for some reason so a .5 ativan 30 mins before works for me but I dont drink on it. Good luck finding what works for you everyone reacts differently.

I hate flying (if the trip is <12 road hours, I'll drive it vs fly it). And I'm not an alcoholic, so "getting loaded" isn't an option here.

In the past I always used to get horribly queasy during flight descent, sometimes even coming pretty close to ...er, making a mess. :o Someone on Cruise Critic recommended ginger pills for cruising one time, and I tried that on a flight .... lo and behold, no queasiness. Ginger's my best traveling friend now.

I hate flying (if the trip is <12 road hours, I'll drive it vs fly it). And I'm not an alcoholic, so "getting loaded" isn't an option here.

In the past I always used to get horribly queasy during flight descent, sometimes even coming pretty close to ...er, making a mess. :o Someone on Cruise Critic recommended ginger pills for cruising one time, and I tried that on a flight .... lo and behold, no queasiness. Ginger's my best traveling friend now.

Who told you that you have to be an alcoholic to get loaded? They lied! You don't, you know! :D

Who told you that you have to be an alcoholic to get loaded? They lied! You don't, you know! :D

Oh, gosh, no! A person who never/seldom drinks can easily get loaded on one drink. People who drink a lot/regularly need a lot more than that and some can drink for days and still be sober.

10 mg valium and a crown and coke :) I hate to fly.:cool:
Here you go:

Rx,

20ml Martiniolol [liquid]{doubles}

1 dose every 10 minutes or as needed

Dr. Dan

Dr. Dan, you forgot the quantity for the prescription, necessitating a phone call from the pharmacist.:mad:

Liv.. Everybody knows you hate to fly... You're the only person I've heard about who wears a parachute on a commercial flight.:p

Personally, I won't take you up for a flight, jumping out would hurt my ego and feelings!

What is it that bothers you about flying? I've never been a nervous flyer, so I don't know what causes it. Mostly it's extremely boring.

For me, it's my fear of heights. I am even afraid to drive over tall bridges. My doctor put me on Lexapro 20mg., but I still am afraid of tall bridges. When we fly, it just freaks me out to look out the window and see how high up we are. I make my husband sit by the window now! :)

Oh, gosh, no! A person who never/seldom drinks can easily get loaded on one drink. People who drink a lot/regularly need a lot more than that and some can drink for days and still be sober.

Especially those of us who are on certain anti anxiety/depression drugs. Sometimes just a sip and we're loaded. No need to be alcoholic. :p

For me, it's my fear of heights. I am even afraid to drive over tall bridges. My doctor put me on Lexapro 20mg., but I still am afraid of tall bridges. When we fly, it just freaks me out to look out the window and see how high up we are. I make my husband sit by the window now! :)

As a non-medicine person, personally I am surprised that 20 mg isn't working for you. Maybe talk to your dr. about upping your med or taking another? Lexapro is quite the drug, talk about happy making. Something multiple people I know have said, too. 10 mg. had me feeling quite good and non-depressed until i got put on a med by another dr. Now, I have to look into upping my dosage of it. My mom is utterly puzzled that I have virtually no problem with heights now, except when I fly.

Especially those of us who are on certain anti anxiety/depression drugs. Sometimes just a sip and we're loaded. No need to be alcoholic. :p

As a non-medicine person, personally I am surprised that 20 mg isn't working for you. Maybe talk to your dr. about upping your med or taking another? Lexapro is quite the drug, talk about happy making. Something multiple people I know have said, too. 10 mg. had me feeling quite good and non-depressed until i got put on a med by another dr. Now, I have to look into upping my dosage of it. My mom is utterly puzzled that I have virtually no problem with heights now, except when I fly.

Yes, I think I need to try something different too. Even with my husband driving, when we come upon a tall bridge, my heart starts going 100 mph, palms start sweating, and all that other good stuff! :o

I flew to Vegas with my DH and took 3 xanax, nothing worked I was still

white knuckled and my head was buried in my husband's lap for 5 hours

it looked like he was joining the mile high club. I don't drink so taking meds with alcohol was no good. The whole time I was in Vegas all I could think of was the dreaded flight home. I don't understand what happened from the time I flew as a child. I was not afraid then. Maybe as we grow up we watch to much tv involving plane crashes and such, maybe it's a lack of control. I might do much better if I was allowed to fly the plane. My friend

tried to help by saying "well the pilot does not want to die either" my reply was "what if he is having a bad day and doesssssssssss":eek:

I flew to Vegas with my DH and took 3 xanax, nothing worked I was still

white knuckled and my head was buried in my husband's lap for 5 hours

it looked like he was joining the mile high club. I don't drink so taking meds with alcohol was no good. The whole time I was in Vegas all I could think of was the dreaded flight home. I don't understand what happened from the time I flew as a child. I was not afraid then. Maybe as we grow up we watch to much tv involving plane crashes and such, maybe it's a lack of control. I might do much better if I was allowed to fly the plane. My friend

tried to help by saying "well the pilot does not want to die either" my reply was "what if he is having a bad day and doesssssssssss":eek:

Same thing happened to me. I was fine when I flew as a child and then didn't fly again until I was in my 30s and hated it. Each time I flew it got worse until I finally had a full blown panic attack on one flight. After that I went to see my Dr. for some meds.

Is it possible your Dr. might try a different drug for you? I know I've been given Valium before and it does nothing for me - I might as well be taking sugar pills. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding what works with your particular body chemistry.

Archived