RCCL In cabin Baby Sitting (possibly) Terminated

crusinmama06

I typically dont trust anyone who posts a super controversial topic when they have a total of 5 posts on their screen name.

I thought about calling RCCL, or having the TA call them, but, if it is, in fact, true, others will post about it on the family or main board.

I just called RCCL and asked about the Babysitting. She said that they still offer it for $8/hour given the availability of the staff. I said that there were some rumors going around on the internet about it being discontinued and she said she hasn't heard anything. We are going in 3 weeks and I hope they still have it. We wanted to take our family to dinner one night at chops and our daughter is only 2!

I just called RCCL and asked about the Babysitting. She said that they still offer it for $8/hour given the availability of the staff. I said that there were some rumors going around on the internet about it being discontinued and she said she hasn't heard anything. We are going in 3 weeks and I hope they still have it. We wanted to take our family to dinner one night at chops and our daughter is only 2!

We must have talked to the same person! He said I was the second that called. He has not received any emails about such a change. He gave me the phone number for customer service, which is currently closed.

I'm an only parent. No grandparents to look after the little one or to come along on the cruise. If there's no babysitting, I may have to cancel.

To me, OP's post feels more like the Liberty staff said what they needed to say in order to appease her and make her feel better about someone not showing up.

Think about it. Your babysitter doesn't show up. You are irritated, maybe even angry.

Someone at the concierge's desk tells you "so sorry but we don't guarantee babysitters" versus "Yea, we have had this happen a lot. It's because people are working a lot/hard. Since we cant guarantee babysitters, we are going to terminate the service....next week" (i.e. after YOU will be off the ship and cannot verify)

That and a total of 5 posts from OP....it just doesn't smell right.....

It's either a total hoax, designed to get people all worried and worked up, or the Liberty staff was trying to say something to OP that would diffuse the situation quickly.

I just got off the phone with Customer Service. The vacation counselor last night said that sometimes they don't find out things until after Customer Service does.

To quote the customer service agent "Nope, not going to happen". And she laughed. :D She said it's part of the whole Adventure Ocean program.

I posted in this forum rather than the original forum because I've found people in this forum helpful, non-judgmental and truthful. Some of the other forums make me wonder about my fellow cruisers....

We must have talked to the same person! He said I was the second that called. He has not received any emails about such a change. He gave me the phone number for customer service, which is currently closed.

I'm an only parent. No grandparents to look after the little one or to come along on the cruise. If there's no babysitting, I may have to cancel.

I'm sure that even if you were not able to get in room sitting you could still drop off your little ones at AO or after hours. So dont cancel your cruise:eek: Have a great time.:) I think the kids have more fun there anyway!

I'm sure that even if you were not able to get in room sitting you could still drop off your little ones at AO or after hours. So dont cancel your cruise:eek: Have a great time.:) I think the kids have more fun there anyway!

Not if they aren't potty trained!

In room sitting is crucial to those of us whom have kids that are not old enough to potty train yet.....

On our cruise in March, the littlest will be 2 years 8 months. No AO for him.

On our 2 week cruise in July, the one I've been reeeeaaalllly looking forward to, he'll be 3 years and 3 days at sailing. :D If I'm incredibly lucky, he'll be potty trained. If not, then I'm up the creek without a babysitter.

Hey guys,

My heart skipped a beat when I was reading the RCI board and I came over here to read more. I see some of you called. In the interim, I called as well. There is still the in-room service and they did not cancel sitting on the Liberty either. According to RCI Customer Service, that was indeed untrue about them cancelling babysitting service. We leave soon and I would be devastated! I'm sure many of you are on the same page.

I've been following this thread with rabid attention. I'm going on Liberty on Jan 12th with my husband, 3 yr-old son, and 19 month old daughter. We're also traveling with my sister and her boyfriend. My son is totally potty-trained, but my daughter certainly isn't. For the most part, my sister will watch the kids we need some time to ourselves (not much, just a little) and when the other three adults go SCUBA diving. But I have been counting on getting a sitter for at least one night for the 4 adults in Portofinos.

I'm glad to hear the Customer Service folks are saying that in room babysitting is still on.

I don't get the sense that the OP is a troll even though she only has 5 posts and the 5th was this really touchy subject. I read those 5 posts and they looked pretty straight forward (planning cruise, looking forward to cruise, planning on using babysitting on cruise, post cruise issue, etc.) I've just been keeping my fingers crossed that the person who told her that was mistaken.

I'll probably continue to watch this board to make sure that no one else comes back from Liberty saying the same thing she did.

--Debbie

Assuming that the in room babysitting continues, how do you go about booking a babysitter? Do you have to know in advance? Do you need to book every night the first minute you get on the ship? Where do you book it? What is the latest they will stay in room to babysit? Does it get charged to the sea pass or is it a cash service? Thanks for your help. I am now considering this as I am finding out that the 6-8 year old group does not sleep at 10:00 and my little guy is always asleep by then.

Someone just posted on that RCCL thread that the Liberty stopped the babysitting for the Thanksgiving week cruise only. Not sure why that would be or why the crew would be more tired that week then any other week unless there were too many kids on board and too many requests to manage.

As far a booking it it's either at guest relations or the pursers desk at least 24 hours in advance, but if you can book it as soon as you board then you are more likely to get it as it is a first come first serve. You pay the person in cash directly. I believe they stay until 2am.

Assuming that the in room babysitting continues, how do you go about booking a babysitter?

Go to the concierge desk and request it when you get on the ship.

Do you have to know in advance?

No, you dont have to know in advance. I do think they need at least 24 hrs notice.

Do you need to book every night the first minute you get on the ship?
You should, if that is what you want.

Where do you book it?

Concierge desk

What is the latest they will stay in room to babysit?

When you initially submit the request, you specify the hours. I have never gotten the feeling that they would not stay longer, if you decided you wanted to stay out later.

Does it get charged to the sea pass or is it a cash service?

Cash ony $8 an hour (we pay $10 an hour, but that's just us)

Thanks for your help. I am now considering this as I am finding out that the 6-8 year old group does not sleep at 10:00 and my little guy is always asleep by then.

No problemo!

FYI, more info

They take your specifications at the pursers/concierge desk and use a computer to fill out the babysitting form. It is my understanding that they post this form in an area that the crew will see it (common area where they probably always post these types of things) If a crew member wants to babysit for you (fulfill your babysitting request) they let the concierge's desk know. This is why you should consider booking all nights you know you want at one time. Because the same crew member will come every night (in theory).

Happy Sailing!

First I'll say....hopefully this doesn't double post...lol..... but I just tried to post without success something close to the following....

Thank you for your help. Is the concierge desk and purser's desk the same thing?

Pretty much yes. There is always a pursers desk and that one will always be manned. Sometimes you'll find a concierge or guest relations desk and they don't always have anyone at them. It depends on the cruise line what desks are there. I'm not sure what RCCL has since I haven't sailed with them. I have always found that if I'm supposed to go to guest relations and no one is there and I go to the pursers desk they always handle the situation.

Guest relations and the purser's desk is the same thing, but the concierge is NOT the same thing as guest relations on RCCL. The Concierge is a separate resource for suite passengers and Diamond C&A passengers, and is located in a room that only suite passengers and Diamond C&A passengers have access to (the Concierge Lounge). You would request babysitting services through Guest Relations, not the Concierge.

Guest relations and the purser's desk is the same thing, but the concierge is NOT the same thing as guest relations on RCCL. The Concierge is a separate resource for suite passengers and Diamond C&A passengers, and is located in a room that only suite passengers and Diamond C&A passengers have access to (the Concierge Lounge). You would request babysitting services through Guest Relations, not the Concierge.

That's what I was thinking too. The concierge is contacted at the CL for things other than in cabin sitting. When I went to inquire about incabin babysitting (never used it but wanted to place an inquiry for the night we were going to Portofino), I went to the Customer Relations Desk.

I typically dont trust anyone who posts a super controversial topic when they have a total of 5 posts on their screen name.

I thought about calling RCCL, or having the TA call them, but, if it is, in fact, true, others will post about it on the family or main board.

SAS80 - its unfortunate that you need someone to have more than 5 posts to trust what they are saying.

YES I WAS ON LIBERTY FOR ITS 28th VOYAGE THAT DEPARTED ON 11/24/07.

And in-room sitting was NOT AVAILABLE, the info I posted was to inform those who are planning to use in-room sitting for their upcoming cruise that its currently not an option.

The info given to me while onbaord was that it was the decision of one of the officers on the ship and not by corporate. As mentioned, they stated that corporate would be phasing it out fleet wide in the coming weeks. I have no idea if this is true (I hope its not) but this is what they told me.

Archived