Cruising with an infant

Sky Sweet

My husband and I recently took a three generation family cruise with our daughter, son in law, and seven month old infant granddaughter.

Even though an infant places some limitations on what you can do during a cruise, just being with our grandchild for eight days more than compensated for that factor.

During the first day of the cruise, our daughter requested in cabin baby sitting for after 8:00 PM and they were able to provide it on several nights. On some of the other nights, my husband and I baby sat for them. This gave our daughter and son in law an opportunity to take advantage of some of the evening activities aboard the ship.

In Grand Turk our granddaughter had a a lot of fun in the pool at Margaritaville which is just a few steps from where the ship docked.

If you need to buy extra diapers during a cruise we discovered that stores that cater to tourists are humorously overpriced, but in Tortola we found them in a local grocery store, near where the ship docked, at somewhat normal prices.

One day by a pool on the ship we met a nice young mother with a baby that was born the same month as our granddaughter. This nice young mother turned out to be the Captain's wife.

Prior to this cruise, we weren't sure that an infant would be welcomed, but we were pleasantly surprised by the way the crew warmed up to our granddaughter, and how a number of passengers stopped by to spend time with her, as well. On more than one occassion, when I was by myself, people would ask if my granddaughter was enjoying the cruise, and make nice comments about her.

If you have any questions about cruising with an infant, I will try to answer them, based on our experience.

Prior to this cruise, we weren't sure that an infant would be welcomed, but we were pleasantly surprised by the way the crew warmed up to our granddaughter, and how a number of passengers stopped by to spend time with her, as well. On more than one occassion, when I was by myself, people would ask if my granddaughter was enjoying the cruise, and make nice comments about her.

We sailed n September with our daughter, who was 11 months at the time, and leave next week for a 10-day cruise. I, too, was impressed by how well we were treated by everyone around us. My only "complaint" was that because people constantly made pleasant conversation, and liked to visit (even at 5am as we were doing laps because she officially didn't want to sleep!), I always felt that I should be dressed appropriately with a smile on my face...which is sometimes hard to muster at 5am!

I know many poo-poo sailing with little one, but we rave about it. I know it's child-dependant...she was excellent in the dining room, was well-natured the whole time, and loved to wave at everyone. We look forward to next week's sailing.

Hi! So glad to hear about the good experiences of traveling with a baby!! We are going to be on a Norwegian ship and I am a little nervous about it!! Any safety tips on the ship and off while we travel would be happily welcomed. Also, I was wondering if anyone had any other tips for what extra items we should pack...we are already going to need a trailer!!:D

Thanks!

Hi! So glad to hear about the good experiences of traveling with a baby!! We are going to be on a Norwegian ship and I am a little nervous about it!! Any safety tips on the ship and off while we travel would be happily welcomed. Also, I was wondering if anyone had any other tips for what extra items we should pack...we are already going to need a trailer!!:D

Thanks!

Hi alh :)

My daughter brought some of her favorite toys, so we frequently put the baby on a blanket on a floor in a quiet area to sit and play with her toys.

In both the dining room and buffet area, the ship provided a high chair.

The ship provided a pack and play for the cabin.

We used her stroller while walking in port.

Just curious. We are bringing our 6 month old in January and are wondering if you brought a car seat with stroller for your 7 month old granddaughter or just an umbrella stroller.

Hi jewelnewby :)

My daughter just brought a stroller. We rarely used it on the ship, but used it all the time in ports.

Archived