NCL Spirt out of New Orleans BEWARE

mschuchu

I haven't yet been on the Spirit, but we were on the Fantasy in September and loved it as much as ever. No problems with anything the entire 5 days - great food, superb service, and everything was wonderful. We've got 3 cruises booked on the Fantasy next year - we love it that much. I assume you feel differently, lol!

Excellent!! We're looking at that for next Nov. :D

. Wow and I'm from New Orleans.!!

I normally stay away from threads like this because they just aren’t worth the effort, but this one takes the cake. There is about three of you from the NO area telling us how great you all know food and a couple of you have more or less said others away from your area don’t know anything about good food..

A little about me. I’ve been cooking for over 50 years and do most of it for our house as well as much of the cooking for family get togethers and parties. I’ve only traveled as far west as the Far East cities of Beijing and Hong Kong. As far east as Prague, Czech Republic. As far north as 300 miles north of the Artic Circle, and as far south as South America. So those of you from NO can see I’ve been very limited on tasting foods from other areas. I’m one of those who can taste something in a restaurant and come home to duplicate it or else use it as a basis to create a dish more to the taste of people I cook for. I don’t need to ask them for the recipe.

I do enjoy going to NO and dining, but for the Creole food. But if food were the main reason for my travel, it would be way down on the list. In NYC, I can eat commoners food or Five Star from every corner of the world and never have to travel more than a couple of miles. PA Dutch has wonderful food. Arizona has some great places to eat. Many places in Europe, Mexico, Puerto Rico. There are some very small towns from Georgia to Wisconsin that has some wonderful ethnic food where you would swear you were dining in some of the great cities of Europe.

All main line cruise line food is mass produced and much of it pre-packaged. It’s meant to appeal to 90 % of the people. The ones it does not appeal to are those who refuse to venture from what they normally eat. It is presented to give the illusion of upscale. All of the cruise lines do a good job with their food for mass produced food but it is still massed produced. The only real upscale you will find on any ship on any line is in the specialty restaurants where it is prepared in small lots. I spent 15 days on this ship just prior to you. The food was good main line cruise line food. You said all the desserts all week were Jello and whipped cream. Please tell me which dining room you ate in so I will know next time. Jello would have been a welcome break to me and my arteries from all of the decadent desserts I was “forced” to eat. BTW, many of the desserts on the cruise lines do come in already prepared and frozen. They are thawed and served.. They are still rich and good.

So a suggestion for those three or so of you that believes only those from NO knows food. You can buy your self an RV and travel that way so you can prepare for yourself that wonderful food you know and not be subjected to the substandard food found elsewhere. OR, you might come out of your box and learn that there is some great food all around this planet. Expand your taste buds and your world.

There are some foods on cruise ships and other places that I haven’t enjoyed but it doesn’t mean it was bad food. It just wasn’t to my taste. I have a brother who must have either hamburger or steak for every meal. He refuses to try different things. Because of that he misses out on so much of the good things that travel can bring. Some of the best things I’ve eaten has come from little shacks on the side of the road. It’s not Five Star but it was good down to earth food.

Food is so subjective so threads like this really have no meaning for most. You or I say something is either good or bad. But you or I may either have excellent taste or taste for crap. The reader doesn’t know. I do know most are saying the food is fine and a couple saying it is not As a reader I can only go with the majority and say the cruise lines are preparing food for the 90 % and the few are outside the norm. BTW, everyone who starts one of these threads like this say they talked to many people and everyone agreed with them. Sorry, I only speak for myself and only hear the one who posts, not all of those they say they speak for. And most who come on this and other forums I visit say they get good food on all of the cruise lines. And my own experience has been good food on cruise lines. It’s not Five Star but then it’s not meant to be.

BTW, almost all cruise lines cut their food budget almost two years ago. Any of you that haven’t sailed since then may see some of the dishes you remember no longer there. But the food is still good. You won’t starve unless you choose to.

The excursions were great! The shows good. The room servise not good had to clean my own coffee pot out, that should have been done had to go down get my own towels almost every day. Pull out bed they were putting my son in was full of black mold it was really bad. Garbage cans not emptied. It just was'nt good for me maybe it was just a isolated case.

If I had to clean my own coffee pot, get my own towels, and had a moldly bed in my room, I would be complaining to a supervisor. Did you???

[quote name=

Retired not Expired]

Food is so subjective so threads like this really have no meaning for most. You or I say something is either good or bad. But you or I may either have excellent taste or taste for crap.

I agree with halos! "For space reasons I didn't quote your entire post but I have to say that it was excellent...thank you. :)"

Personally, we find all cruise food bland for our tastes, but we've never gone hungry :D ! The food is not the most important thing when we cruise.

Where I Washington???

I'm in Cle elum:D

You won't believe this, but we're neighbors

I'm in Ellensburg (and still mad at Stuart Anderson cause he lived here but wouldn't build a restaurant here)

During the summer you can find me up the Taneum, Easton or WishPoosh camping

"it's a small world after all"

BTW-CWU @ GVSU this saturday

GO WILDCATS

Well...

In about a week, I will personally experience a sailing on the Mayflower...I mean Spirit. I am a regular guy who likes going to Ryans and Golden Corral to eat from time to time, Ive stayed in a Super 8 and Econo Lodge Motel. Yet, Ive stayed in fine hotels and have eaten at some fine restaurants in my lifetime too. But it doesnt take a lot to impress me. Hence I have an inside room with no window or balcony.

What Iam saying is, when I return home, I will let all of ya'll know how I felt the food was. And how I felt the service was. Again, it doesnt take much to impress me and I have never been to New Orleans before either.

But in a week or so, Im gonna drive down there and check out what all this fuss is about. Might eat sum gumbo too!

Folks, a cruise is what you make of it. ITs been 6 yrs since ive been on a cruise and I look forward to it.

I KNOW that iam gonna have a good time with my friends and I AM gonna enjoy the food. Maybe not all of it, but I guarantee you that I WILL find something on that big ole ship thats good to eat. I definitely wont be STARVING the ENTIRE cruise! ( I still laugh when I read that part). I dont have high expectations, I just want to have a good time.

MSCHUCHU, Im sorry you didnt enjoy your cruise but Iam sure you enjoyed the time with your family and there were memories made that you will never forget! One day, you will look back on all of this and probably laugh about it. At least I hope you do. We are all entitled to our opinions but i feel using the phrase "BEWARE" as a headline is a little harsh.

I have really enjoyed reading these comments and threads since I found this website about 3wks ago. Wish I knew about it sooner. God bless you all and I wish everyone a good night!

Being in Cozumel as I currently am, I had a chance to talk to a number of people off the Spirit when it berthed here today. I spoke to 4 separate groups of people and got different responses from all of them.

3 out of the 4 groups were happy with the food and the variety. 1 group said that they didnt like some of the food but had found other food that they prefered on board.

None of the groups had any complaints about the entertainment. They enjoyed the shows and most had been to all shows.

2 women (out of the dozen peope I spoke to) complained that they didnt get enough towels in their cabin - only one each. (I didnt ask how many they needed). The same two said that they had to ask for ice on a couple of occasions.

In conclusion:

75% of the people I spoke to were happy with the food - the 25% who had a complaint about it had found something else that they were happy with

Over 80% had no complaints about their cabins and the service they had received

100% were happy with the entertainment.

I realise that the number of people I spoke to was fairly small, however, those are fairly high satisfaction stats so if you are planning to go on the Spirit in the near future dont let what has been said on this thread put you off. The people I spoke to were totally random. I do not work for NCL nor do I have any affiliatons with the company. I have sailed on the Spirit once.

cheers

KC

KC, thanks for going out of your way to find out some info for those of us getting ready to sail on the Spirit who might be a tad worried - it was very kind of you!!

I was glad to hear the reviews are not ALL BAD! :rolleyes: It really sounds as if it will be FINE! (YAY!) :D I can hardly wait!

-Sarah

Well...

In about a week, I will personally experience a sailing on the Mayflower...I mean Spirit. I am a regular guy who likes going to Ryans and Golden Corral to eat from time to time, Ive stayed in a Super 8 and Econo Lodge Motel. Yet, Ive stayed in fine hotels and have eaten at some fine restaurants in my lifetime too. But it doesnt take a lot to impress me. Hence I have an inside room with no window or balcony.

What Iam saying is, when I return home, I will let all of ya'll know how I felt the food was. And how I felt the service was. Again, it doesnt take much to impress me and I have never been to New Orleans before either.

But in a week or so, Im gonna drive down there and check out what all this fuss is about. Might eat sum gumbo too!

Folks, a cruise is what you make of it. ITs been 6 yrs since ive been on a cruise and I look forward to it.

I KNOW that iam gonna have a good time with my friends and I AM gonna enjoy the food. Maybe not all of it, but I guarantee you that I WILL find something on that big ole ship thats good to eat. I definitely wont be STARVING the ENTIRE cruise! ( I still laugh when I read that part). I dont have high expectations, I just want to have a good time.

MSCHUCHU, Im sorry you didnt enjoy your cruise but Iam sure you enjoyed the time with your family and there were memories made that you will never forget! One day, you will look back on all of this and probably laugh about it. At least I hope you do. We are all entitled to our opinions but i feel using the phrase "BEWARE" as a headline is a little harsh.

I have really enjoyed reading these comments and threads since I found this website about 3wks ago. Wish I knew about it sooner. God bless you all and I wish everyone a good night!

Have a great cruise:)

Looking forward to your review!

Listen everybody! All of you getting ready to cruise the Spirit ..... YOU WILL HAVE A FABULOUS TIME!!! Just think about how long you have waited to take this trip! Just think of the anticipation! Just think, no dishes, no washing clothes, no housework!! And food - all kinds of food - 24 hours a day!! Activities - plenty of them! And tons of entertainment! Exotic ports of call! Beaches! Rain forests! Ruins! Woohoo!!

Don't let other peoples OPINIONS tarnish your anticipation. How could anyone in their right minds not have a great time on a cruise??!!?? I just don't understand it.

I've said it before, let someone come face to face with DEATH, and small things don't matter anymore. Sometimes it takes that for negative people to snap out of it and realize how positive and happy life can be!! Appreciate life people!

So what if I have to clean my coffeepot once or twice? Maybe it's because my room stewardess has 32 rooms to clean TWICE A DAY.

So what if it takes 2 hours to eat in the dining room? NCL plans your dining experience to be approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes. (I had dinner with the Director of Food and Beverage, that's how I know.)

Stay positive, think positive. I wouldn't let anyone's opinion destroy, infringe or color in anyway my happiness and anticipation of my Spirit cruise.

You'll have a great time!

Kathy

ok, just because you said so...:D

nah...i was planning on enjoying myself anyway.

can't help it, i am one of the "pollyanas", acutally that is what my brother called my 30 years ago.

if you can't deal with the little things, i feel sorry for you. i promise, if i have any problems, next week, i will take it to customer service...ON THE SHIP...before i tell anyone on CC about it!!

ok, just because you said so...:D

nah...i was planning on enjoying myself anyway.

Good for you!!

Didn't mean to twist your arm! Have fun! lol

And the girls at the Reception desk are very nice...

Kathy

KC, thanks for going out of your way to find out some info for those of us getting ready to sail on the Spirit who might be a tad worried - it was very kind of you!!

I was glad to hear the reviews are not ALL BAD! :rolleyes: It really sounds as if it will be FINE! (YAY!) :D I can hardly wait!

-Sarah

Sarah,

I was on the ship 2 or 3 weeks ago for the repositioning. What Kathy has said is correct. The cruise will be what you make of it and you will have a good time.

What's been said on this thread has been blown out of proportion and is wrongly giving people a negative view.

Ignore it and enjoy your cruise!

KC

Here in New Orleans its all about the food, hospitality, and the PARTY and NCL missied the boat on all three. GO Carnival!!! I learned my lesson.

Wow, I'm really hoping this isn't the case! I'm scheduled for my first Norwegian cruise in early January. I've only been on Carnival in the past, and in my opinion, Carnival sucked. I know a lot of people love Carnival, I however, am not one of them. The crew and other passengers were beyond rude, and the food was just average. Don't get me wrong, nothing was so horrible that it was not edible, and there were a few dishes that stood out well above the others. But, for the most part it was your typical chain restaurant quality food, even though it was often cold by the time it arrived to me. I realize that Carnival has no control over who buys their cruises as far as rude passengers go, and bad things happen everywhere, and all that blah, blah, blah. But when they call themselves a "fun ship" their employees should at least be happy!

I don't expect the world when I cruise. I like cruises because nobody at work can reach me.....even if they tried. My cell phone never works and I refuse to pay such ridiculous rates for internet. :D I love having the total relaxation that cruises provide.

Wow, I'm really hoping this isn't the case! I'm scheduled for my first Norwegian cruise in early January.

It will be "the case" if you go into the cruise believing chuchu. However, if you listen to jkloni and Toyz and Ozgal and the other rational posters here and go into it with the expectation it will be a very nice time, you'll be fine.

PS If you're lacking for fun ... try a couple of Miami Vices and barking like a chihuahua. It works ;)

Here I am, reading this ridiculous thread for no reason other than I'm bored, and *boom* I get this ... cracked me up. Thanks.

Its getting closer...and closer...I cant wait!!!

This is when I start worring about what can go wrong to prevent me from leaving. Am I the only one who does this? I worry about having an accident and being in the hospital on cruise day or a family member getting sick or something. Geez...I have been even driving the speed limit the past few days. LOL

Its getting closer...and closer...I cant wait!!!

This is when I start worring about what can go wrong to prevent me from leaving. Am I the only one who does this? I worry about having an accident and being in the hospital on cruise day or a family member getting sick or something. Geez...I have been even driving the speed limit the past few days. LOL

Join the club....

It's called PCA - pre cruise anxiety:)

I do the same, where are the wills, make sure the house is clean in case the ship sinks, will the limo driver be on time, did I turn off the iron, coffee pot, etc.

It always works out;)

Have a great cruise:)

Archived