Royal Caribbean newcomer with questions

Aunty KK

We decided to step out of our comfort zone and recently booked a 6 night Western Caribbean cruise on the Jewel of the Sea sailing on January 20th. Have previously sailed HAL but decided to try something different. I hope we made a good decision :)

How many formal nights are there on a 6 night cruise? For those who have sailed both lines, are there distinct differences between RCL and HAL? What can we expect (I know, a very open ended question but I'm starting to get a little nervous)

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Welcome to the RCCL boards and for you first RCCL you picked a fantastic ship. The Radiance class which the JOS is a part of are the most gorgeous ships afloat IMO. On a 6 night there will be two formal nights.

I have been on two of JOS sister ships so if you want to see pictures click on the links in my signature for either Brilliance or Serenade. They are basically the same except for decor.

Don't be nervous you made a wonderful decision.

I have been on 5 RCCL and one HAL ship (Alaska). There is definitely a difference, IMO. The HAL ship was an older crowd, and stuffier, more rigid. Tough to explain what I mean, but I felt more comfortable on the RCCL ships.

In terms of the ship itself, I found the MS Zaandam to be nicer than the RCCL ships, a little more luxurious if you will. For a reference point, I am 46 Y.O.

I thought the food was better on HAL than any of the RCCL ships I have been on, but we had more "fun" on the RCCL.

We decided to step out of our comfort zone and recently booked a 6 night Western Caribbean cruise on the Jewel of the Sea sailing on January 20th. Have previously sailed HAL but decided to try something different. I hope we made a good decision :)

How many formal nights are there on a 6 night cruise? For those who have sailed both lines, are there distinct differences between RCL and HAL? What can we expect (I know, a very open ended question but I'm starting to get a little nervous)

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Welcome!!!! You've made a wonderful decision, I think :p . I've only sailed RCCL! :D Well, anyway, welcome to Cruise Critic and to Royal Caribbean. Happy cruising with us!.

I have done 3 RCL cruises and 1 HAL. I enjoyed both lines but definitely noticed differences. HAL is definitely fancier; i.e. the deck and balcony furniture is much nicer (wicker versus plastic), there are cloth towels in the public bathrooms on HAL versus paper ones on RCL, there is nice afternoon tea service in main dining room in HAL that I have not seen on RCL.

Royal Caribbean however has more activities to do (i.e. the rock climbing wall and several options on larger ships such as ice skating, flow rider etc.). Although HAL offers plenty of activities, there is certainly more to do on Royal Caribbean.

Royal Carribean also has more activities that some may call cheesy but others enjoy (i.e. the waiters sing and dance more often than on HAL, there are more themed photo ops such as a person dressed as a pirate coming to your dinner table, and there are far more public announcements).

The average age of passengers was definitely higher on HAL, but both lines have people of all ages.

I found the service to be excellent on both lines and would not say one was better than the other. Food is rather subjective but I found the main dining room food slightly better on Royal Caribbean but the buffet much better on HAL.

As for your question about formal nights, I know 7 night cruises have 2, but not sure if a 6 night cruise will have 1 or 2. Formal nights seemed a little less formal on Royal Caribbean than on my HAL cruise (i.e. very few men wore tuxes and a significant number not even a dark suit). However, the majority of people did abide by the suggested attire.

I hope you have a great cruise :)

I can't comment about any differences between HAL and other cruiselines, but I will tell you that Jewel OTS is my favorite of all the ships we've cruised on. She is a stunning representation of the Radiance-class ships in RCI's fleet, and I hope you will take the time to check out all the exquisite artwork on board. You made a great choice for your first RCI cruise. I hope you will let us all know your impressions when you get back. Have a great time!

Karen

Hi Aunty KK:

You've made a wonderful choice for your first Royal Caribbean cruise. My husband and I will be on the ship for that cruise. Jewel is one of our favorite ship. We have sailed on her four times (I think). Come and join our roll call. There's a great bunch of people who have been posting on there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=468023

That would be the best place to ask any questions you have. We'll be glad to help you in whatever way we can.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Thanks for all the information. I'm really looking forward to trying Royal Caribbean. Another question.... we had to book an 11:50 AM flight from Ft. Lauderdale. Given there are no problems arriving back to the pier on time, will we be able to make it to the airport on time for our flight?

Have sailed on HA Rotterdam - N.E. cruise 6 yrs ago.

Thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, ship etc.

Sailed on R.C. Jewel of the Seas - N.E. again - 2 years later.

RC Jewel, to me - was one of the most beautiful ships I have sailed on.

We have been on 10 cruises which included, HA, RC, Celebrity, & Princess.

In comparing RCI and HA

it is hard to say which I enjoyed the most.

Each one had their own identity - certain preferences.

You will compare and not be sorry that you have chosen

Jewel of the Seas.

Archived