Clamato Juice For Canadians

HAPPY RETIREES

We had clamato juice on the Rotterdam on our Oct. 2006 Med cruise.

Had the opportunity to introduce yet another non-Canadian to the experience of a Caesar and gave him more when he visited us in Canada this summer.

We are introducing the world to this drink one port at a time. It's a tough assignment, but we will work through the pain.

I remember on our last flight to Britain the flight attendant gave us a few cans to take with us in case we couldn't find clamato juice. Yes, that was Air Canada.

Karen

I didn't know Bloody Caesars were supposed to be a secret and a Canadian drink. Clamato juice is in all our supermarkets and caesars a well-known drink anyplace we've ever been for years. Also on all the HAL ships we've been on. Love 'em.

I've heard that they were invented in Calgary years and years ago. Don't know if it's true. I remember maybe 5 years ago it could be difficult to get a caesar in Vegas. Glad to see it's more readily available. It's one of my favorites.

Sounds like Clamato is actually an American invention, but you can figure it took a Canuck to figure out it would taste even better with some booze mixed in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clamato

Sorry I meant the bloody caesar was invented in Calgary not calmato. I'm glad to see it said this in the link you provided and it wasn't something that someone made up. Cheers!

Sounds like Clamato is actually an American invention, but you can figure it took a Canuck to figure out it would taste even better with some booze mixed in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clamato

Can't say that I have ever imbibed a Caesar cocktail, but then I can't even stand Bloody Marys. However, Clamato Juice had been sold in the Supermarkets here for what seems like forever, so "Happy Retirees" you should not have too much of a problem finding it.

Slainge; Cheers; Prosit; Salut; L'Chaim and Bottoms Up;) .

Valerie:)

History

The cocktail was invented by bartender Walter Chell at the Owl's Nest Bar in the Calgary Inn (now Calgary Westin Hotel) in Calgary, Alberta in 1969, to accompany the opening of a new restaurant, Marco's. In its original form, it contained tomato juice and mashed clams; Clamato had only just been released (with the assistance of Chell) by the American Mott's company that very year, and was not yet widely known or available.

Starting in 2002, Mott's began marketing pre-mixed Caesars in twelve-ounce bottles.

Variations can include substituted or added ingredients, like salt and pepper, cayenne pepper, horseradish, or lemon juice, seasoning salt or lemon pepper (rather than celery salt), a garnish of dill pickled cucumber, spicy pickled green bean or asparagus. Occasionally a prawn (especially in seafood restaurants) or crisp bacon is used as a garnish.

Can't say that I have ever imbibed a Caesar cocktail, but then I can't even stand Bloody Marys. However, Clamato Juice had been sold in the Supermarkets here for what seems like forever, so "Happy Retirees" you should not have too much of a problem finding it.

Slainge; Cheers; Prosit; Salut; L'Chaim and Bottoms Up;) .

Is the Clamato available in the US "Motts"? If it isn't, it would be like having ketchup that is not "Heinz". Most devotees would agree, I think.

My favourite Motts for Caesars is the "Extra Spicy" version :). There are places in the U.S. very familiar with Caesars....the difference is we Canucks like to drink 'em in the morning as well. Nothing like a Caesar to get each day of a vacation underway :D.

Is the Clamato available in the US "Motts"? If it isn't, it would be like having ketchup that is not "Heinz". Most devotees would agree, I think.

I'm sorry, I don't know. I have never bought the stuff but I will check next time I go to the supermarket. I think that we have Mott's Apple Juice here, but then again I am a cranberry juice drinker.

Archived