Dining with toddlers

Yellowlily

I wonder if the 2 hour dining experience is a function of NOT having kids at the table. Pre-baby, our cruise dinners easily hit the 2 hour mark (and sometimes they had to throw us out of the dining room!)...but that was more related to the interesting conversations that we were having. No one was in a rush. But sailling with baby last time gave us a different perspective. Things did seem to move more quickly...I think they were responding to what they thought our needs were.

The other thing we found (and this may be a Carnival thing...we typically sail on Princess)...we were definitely seated in a "baby-zone". It seemed that all young kids were seated on the same side of the restaurant. Every table in our waiter's section had a high chair at it.

The other thing we found (and this may be a Carnival thing...we typically sail on Princess)...we were definitely seated in a "baby-zone". It seemed that all young kids were seated on the same side of the restaurant. Every table in our waiter's section had a high chair at it.

Princess had a "children's zone" of the dining room on the last Princess cruise we were on. Perfect for the waiters since everyone is on a quicker pace.

I also used to have 2 hour+ dinners when cruising with my husband, but that was absolutely because we were enjoying conversation with new friends - sipping wine, lingering over courses, etc.

Best,

Mia

And everyone else enjoyed it, I think. I guess I would have enjoyed a long, leisurely dinner pre-DS too - everyone else in our group didn't have kids in the AO program. Dinner was fun, conversation fascinating, wine and food scrumptious (ok, it's really good banquet food, at least), but I still found myself thinking "WHERE THE HECK IS THE NEXT COURSE???"

I think I'm just jumpy.

My cruise in two weeks will be my first cruise with my son and I've never had a two hour dinner on any cruise. I guess maybe it's because we always go to the show and our table mates on all of our cruises have also attended the shows so it's impossible to attend the show and have a two hour dinner. If dinner begins at 8:15 and the show begins at 10 on the opposite end of the ship it's just not possible. Even my first two cruises listed which were group cruises (the only reason I remembered ships and dates was because I went to the message board for the group) and we always attended the shows.

And everyone else enjoyed it, I think. I guess I would have enjoyed a long, leisurely dinner pre-DS too - everyone else in our group didn't have kids in the AO program. Dinner was fun, conversation fascinating, wine and food scrumptious (ok, it's really good banquet food, at least), but I still found myself thinking "WHERE THE HECK IS THE NEXT COURSE???"

I think I'm just jumpy.

Yeah they were responding to the tone of the group. If they think you want a leisurly meal, then you get a 2 hour meal. Luckily we have always been seated either by ourselves or with the families we are traveling with who have kids too. They know we want in and out in an hour. :)

We must have just had the exception...

We've only gone with DD once and she was 20 mos. It was a 7-night on Rhapsody OTS. Our waiter couldn't vary the tempo no matter what. We had the only high chair (or kid for that matter) in his zone. We requested a table alone so that we COULD have a speedier dinner. But he only had one speed. He took all the orders together, served each course together. Etc. (Then again, our waiter couldn’t figure out that we wanted milk with her dinner every night. Some nights we had to ask more than once.) We made it work, but we certainly didn't experience what others would have you expect. We even asked for things to be speedier, and he'd say "yes, yes", but it didn't really work that way. Some meals we just left when DD had had enough. (It was only three of us at the table, so by the time one leaves to let her wiggle, not much point in staying.) We would usually hit the WJ later if she hadn't eaten well or if we didn't stay at dinner long enough to be full. The WJ waiters were very nice. They would ask if they could get you more of something or something different.

As for what to bring? Definitely a bib, sippy cup, small toys, and crayons. The kid menu was a color page (same one every meal) but no one could come up with any crayons. Good things mom was prepared.

We just returned from our 2.5 yo daughters first cruise a couple of weeks ago. She joined us in the dining room for dinner every night except one (when she went to Camp Carnival for dinner). The waiter was very good about having her booster seat and the kids menu/coloring book with a pencil in her place every evening and knew the things she liked to eat and had them ready for us each night. She did very well even though dinner usually was about 1.5 to 2 hours. If she got too antsy after eating, DH or I would hold her on our laps or we were lucky enough to be seated at a large round table that was in the corner and had a buffet type cabinet on the other side, so we would let her get down and play in the area between the buffet and the wall while we finished dessert. I would definitely suggest that you give it a try. We had to move our seating to the early b/c even though we requested it at booking, we had late seating when we boarded and ended up at a table with no other children. However, they were all very gracious and understanding and enjoyed having her at the table. Have a great cruise!

We cruise in January on Carnival with our 3 YO dd. We intend to eat together most nights perhaps the odd exception when she may eat at camp and we can have a quiet dinner. Do they just have high chairs in the restaurant or are boosters available (dd is just 3 and is quite petite so to eat at a table comfortably will need a booster). If they have don't have them can anyone suggest somewhere to buy a cheap one as we are travelling from the UK and don't want to have to bring hers with us.

Thanks

Sarah

Yes to high chairs (from experience) and I think yes to boosters (from reading people's posts.) I won't know for sure for anther 33 days when we go on Monarch w/ DD (2.5 y/o). The high chairs (and presumably boosters) were available in the Windjammer, too. If no one brings you one, just ask. We tried to sit near where we knew they were kept once we figured out where that was.

After reading these posts, I am a little more likely to take my 2 y.o. and 6 y.o. to dining room. I was nervous about it, but sounds like it has been done, so we will try. So now, my questions along these lines are:

1. When I looked at the dining times, it also showed the coordinating breakfast and lunch dining room seatings - so whatever time you pick for dinner you HAVE to take the breakfast/lunch times? For example, I picked the 6:15 dinner, and it shows 6:45 (port) or 7:45 (sea) breakfasts, 12 lunch, - is there flexibility in this - or do you just do breakfast at your leisure in buffet or room service? Don't see myself rising at that hour for breakfast - could be wrong though....

2. Camp Carnival - I am a little confused about when/if they offer dining with the Camp option - does it depend on the ship, how many kids, etc? Saw somewhere someone said only on formal nights, someone else said every night? (just in case) If we pick the 6:15 time - is this time to get them fed and up to Camp by 7ish if we just ask for their meals right away, and then one of us takes the break advised in other posts to walk them up?

3. Do you request a booth once you board? I have requested seating for four - just so we can be on our own schedule and I will be more relaxed about 3 y.o. - very active child:), booth would definetly help. Didn't realize they had booths until I read that...

Thanks for clearing this up - reading too much advice and getting myself confused I think....:p

After reading these posts, I am a little more likely to take my 2 y.o. and 6 y.o. to dining room. I was nervous about it, but sounds like it has been done, so we will try. So now, my questions along these lines are:

1. When I looked at the dining times, it also showed the coordinating breakfast and lunch dining room seatings - so whatever time you pick for dinner you HAVE to take the breakfast/lunch times? For example, I picked the 6:15 dinner, and it shows 6:45 (port) or 7:45 (sea) breakfasts, 12 lunch, - is there flexibility in this - or do you just do breakfast at your leisure in buffet or room service? Don't see myself rising at that hour for breakfast - could be wrong though....

2. Camp Carnival - I am a little confused about when/if they offer dining with the Camp option - does it depend on the ship, how many kids, etc? Saw somewhere someone said only on formal nights, someone else said every night? (just in case) If we pick the 6:15 time - is this time to get them fed and up to Camp by 7ish if we just ask for their meals right away, and then one of us takes the break advised in other posts to walk them up?

3. Do you request a booth once you board? I have requested seating for four - just so we can be on our own schedule and I will be more relaxed about 3 y.o. - very active child:), booth would definetly help. Didn't realize they had booths until I read that...

Thanks for clearing this up - reading too much advice and getting myself confused I think....:p

When I was on Carnival I didn't have a child so I'm sure someone will chime in. I also ate at the late dining time. The ship I was on had booths but the were open at both ends so if you think that you can trap your child in the booth you may want to check that out first. When we go on Carnival next year we will probably do lunch & dinner in the buffet area and I wouldn't want to set the alarm for breakfast for sure. That said although on most ships you don't sit at your assigned table for breakfast I remember that we did are Carnival. I don't think you had to show up precisely on time like at dinner but it might have been close.

Our only cruise w/ DD was RCI and their booths are open on both ends. But I remember our Carnival cruise (back in 2003) had booths in the traditional sense...but I don't remember the ship...Spirit maybe? Anyway, I suppose you'd have to request a booth in the dining room as soon as you get on the ship, if it's important to you. As for meal times, I don't remember ever having to eat at a set time in a dining room (RCI mostly, but Carnival and Princess once each). If set times apply and bother you, there's always room service and the buffet. But I've always seen that the dining room was open between these times and you just show up. They sit you at the table they're currently filling (or alone if you ask...or sometimes alone just b/c you have a child) and you order then eat. No problems.

Oops - I accidentally put this on the main RCI board! Hope I'm not gonna get bashed!!:eek:

Ok, just wondering if anyone has ever taken their toddler to the dining room?? We've never done this for fear that it wouldn't work until our DD is much older, thus we make alternate plans for dining. I'm curious if anyone out there has ever tried taking their toddlers to the dining room rather than the Windjammer and how were your experiences??

my chidl is not a dog, so I take my child where i go. I always got the first seating. I also was put on a table with otehr families with kids or the one time we cruise with 13 family members. My 6 yo daughter is going on her 3 cruise and my 2 year old is going on his second cruise. I refuse to eaet in the windjammer or buffet. I work hard everyday of my life and I want to be pampered. I am not going to hide and work even more. FORGET that.

That being said, we all paid the same amount of money so enjoy it. Of course my children are not adults nor will they behave like adults. GET OVER IT! However, the do behave themselves. If there is a temper tandtrum than I would remove them.. the dining rooms are so loud anyway.

my chidl is not a dog, so I take my child where i go. I always got the first seating. I also was put on a table with otehr families with kids or the one time we cruise with 13 family members. My 6 yo daughter is going on her 3 cruise and my 2 year old is going on his second cruise. I refuse to eaet in the windjammer or buffet. I work hard everyday of my life and I want to be pampered. I am not going to hide and work even more. FORGET that.

That being said, we all paid the same amount of money so enjoy it. Of course my children are not adults nor will they behave like adults. GET OVER IT! However, the do behave themselves. If there is a temper tandtrum than I would remove them.. the dining rooms are so loud anyway.

sorry about the anger. I get upset when I read how people tip toe around this matter so they don't offend other cruisers.

Archived