lava

tfoster52

the only way you can see it without a long, long hike into a closed-off area, is to see it from the air. The lava flows change all the time, though, and may be totally different when you cruise in February.

Check this website from time to time and see where the lava is currently flowing:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/archive/2007/Nov/J21Erup_Overview_071123_L.jpg

The information at the other thread, although accurate at the time, is now out of date. As of now, I'm saying it is essentially impossible to see flowing molten lava from the ground for people who are visiting the big island on a cruise ship. The location of molten lava is A) off limits (closed), B) several miles over new, fragile, untracked lava FROM THE END of the "rainforest hike to Pu'u O'o." To get to the lava and back (even if truckin' and knowing exactly where it is) to the trailhead would IMO take at least 8 - 10 hours of hiking alone, and probably more. If I was on the Big Island right now I wouldn't try it, even if I started before dawn. Why? It's also insanely dangerous anywhere near where the lava is flowing. In other words: Fuggedaboutit. If you want to see active lava flows, the recourse is helicopter.

I was one who always encouraged people who were in reasonably good shape and wanted to see active lava enter the ocean to at least try - when the ocean entry was 2-3 miles from the end of the road. That was child's play compared to what you'd have to endure now, not to mention the fact it's illegal and deadly dangerous.

This can change at any time. Check the HVO websites for updates, but since July or so the current situation has remained somewhat stable.

• Administrators
we saw it from our cruise ship when we were there in april

the ship sails by it at night, it was amazing ,, looked like little bawn fires everywhere ,

and it smelled really strong of SULFA

Ships aren't doing a night time sailby at the present time because the current flow doesn't have an ocean entry. As was noted above, as of today to see the lava you have to fly over it, but that's subject to change, especially as OP's trip isn't until February. I'm sure that if/when the lava does start to enter the ocean again the ships will resume night time sail bys.

Archived