Red Tide & Port Canaveral

Hi,

I posted this on HAL board too. But I know that RCL leave from the Space Coast, so I thought you might know if the red tide is at the port too.

Just wondering is any one on this board who lives or has cruised from Florida' Space Coast is being affected by the Red Tides. We live in Indian Harbour Beach (a few miles north of Melbourne Beach & seven miles south of Coca Beach) . The Red Tide is making lots of people cough, including my husband and me. At Cocoa Beach the dead fish have been washing a shore. O course, Port Canaveral is right there too. Has any one heard of people leaving on (RCL, Carnival, Disney) from Port Canaveral having trouble with coughing or breathing? Are any other Florida port having trouble with red tide.

Geo

We live in Melbourne, but on the mainland. One of my friends lives just north of Patrick on the beach. She said that they are coughing a bit, but they have seen small dead fish, but nothing like the tv stations in Orlando keep showing.

My DH works about 1/2 mile from PC and he walks out along the river every day. He hasn't said a word about red tide. Since the Port is not on the ocean, I suspect that it isn't as affected.

Hi,

I posted this on HAL board too. But I know that RCL leave from the Space Coast, so I thought you might know if the red tide is at the port too.

Just wondering is any one on this board who lives or has cruised from Florida' Space Coast is being affected by the Red Tides. We live in Indian Harbour Beach (a few miles north of Melbourne Beach & seven miles south of Coca Beach) . The Red Tide is making lots of people cough, including my husband and me. At Cocoa Beach the dead fish have been washing a shore. O course, Port Canaveral is right there too. Has any one heard of people leaving on (RCL, Carnival, Disney) from Port Canaveral having trouble with coughing or breathing? Are any other Florida port having trouble with red tide.

Geo

LOL, WOW...I never thought I would find another person from IHB on here. I am sitting here scratching my eyes out, and taking shots off my albuterol:o . I leave on monday and I anticipate having a rough time until just after departure. Of course, its been a couple weeks so far so I don't think it will be much worse Monday.

Is it less likely that redtide will occur on the Atlantic Coast? I mean, I know it's possible, but it seems that I hear of it on the Gulf Coast more often.

We were in Anna Maria Island in June 2005 and that's the worst red tide I've ever seen. The dead fish washing up on the beach were huge. And, the dead horseshoe crabs were everywhere. It was sooo smelly! Everyday, they would have the inmates (dressed in their black and white jailbird clothing) come out and shovel the fish and drop them into the scoop of a front loader.

Just wanted to say that I hope it quickly clears up for all of you folks who are experiencing it. But, hey, at least its warm in Florida...we are in the 30's tonight...BRRR.

Hi,

Got up this morining and I am coughing my brains out (if I had any).:D The tide is still here.:mad: The wind yesterday was from the north and I guess it was blowing it down from Cocoa Beach.

dontpanik,

We are snowbirds from Rochester NY and we have a condo in IHB, off of palm Spring Blvd. IHB is very nice. We are leaving Mon on HAL cruise for 10 nights. I just want out of here so I can stop coughing:)

Geo

We live in Melbourne, but on the mainland. One of my friends lives just north of Patrick on the beach. She said that they are coughing a bit, but they have seen small dead fish, but nothing like the tv stations in Orlando keep showing.

My DH works about 1/2 mile from PC and he walks out along the river every day. He hasn't said a word about red tide. Since the Port is not on the ocean, I suspect that it isn't as affected.

If Port Canaveral is not on the ocean, then how do the ships get there??

We live in Viera (Rockledge side) off Murrell and have not noticed anything, in fact I just heard about the red tide when I was reading Florida Today online yesterday and they were talking about all the dead fish. I work for a doctor and so far we have not had any patients having any issues either but I am sure if you live closer to the beach it will be a different story.

How long does a red tide last anyway?? We are cruising on the Sovereign in 2 weeks and hope we don't have any problems.

I don't think its really supposed to affect you if you live on the mainland. If you live beachside though, its just horrible. I never remember the tide lasting this long. I think they can last up to 2 months. We're leaving on Monday of the Sovereign but since it just affects the coast itself, I think we will be fine for both of our cruises.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go back to scratching my eyeballs until they're purple and sucking on my inhaler:(

Hi,

We are very close to the ocean. About 500 ft. Yesterday I had to put a napkin over my nose just to go out side. So I am just going ousidet, if I have to. A friend of ours tried to walk on the beach yesterday and had to turn back. He said some dead fish washed up and he was coughing too much.

One more day I am on a 10 night cruise. I hope that it is over when we get back.

Maria (cough cough)

Archived