Mr Barbados - Please help - Crane Beach

kitty1

• 2 weeks later...

”Mr Barbados,

Thanks so much for your help on my earlier post.

We plan to go to Crane Beach. How far is it from the Cruise Ship terminal? Any idea what the cab fare would be?”

My deepest apologies for not getting back with you in a timely manner. We have been out of the country on business and have just returned for a short time.

Crane is about five (5) miles from the terminal. About a US$10-12 taxi ride each way. The city bus goes there for US$.75.

Even though I have no vested interest in The Crane, I should be getting residuals from my numerous recommendations to their establishment.

Even if you have to walk there, it is without match in almost all of the Caribbean, if not the world.

You will not be disappointed. Promise!

Thanks Barbados for all your help. I'm sure we will enjoy Crane Beach. This will be our second trip to Barbados. We just loved it there last year.

We were worried maybe Ivan got you because we didn't hear from you. Didn't know if you were in Oregon or Barbados. Glad to hear you are safe.

Mr. Barbados,

It the taxi fare to Crane Beach of $10-12 per person or for the cab ride? There will be 4 of us sharing a taxi. Is there a bar/restaurant there? Is there beach chairs and snorkeling equipment for rent there too?

Thanks,

Tweek

"It the taxi fare to Crane Beach of $10-12 per person or for the cab ride? There will be 4 of us sharing a taxi. Is there a bar/restaurant there? Is there beach chairs and snorkeling equipment for rent there too?"

Yes, there is a bar (in the Crane Hotel) and also a number of restautants (also in the Hotel).

I believe beach chairs are available from the hotel, but can't say for sure.

No snorkeling equipment that I'm aware of, this isn't the place to snorkel! Undertow + big waves. It's a lay-on-the-beach and go-in-the-water-to-your-knees sort of place(unless you're a strong swimmer).

One should snorkel on our West coast beaches as they are calmer, windward beaches are simply to enjoy the beauty unless you are a surfer or used to large waves with coral and limestone under them.

• 4 weeks later...

Mr. Barbados would you then suggest to a first time visitor to go to crane beach for a few hours or do you suggest a better beach for the first visit?

----------------------------------------------

In my humble opinion, there is no better beach on the island.

crane-beach-barbados.jpg

Not for swimming, however.

Just a lay-on-the-beach, get wet-up-to-your-knees, and enjoy paradise type of place.

Now, there are plenty of other great beaches on the island that you can snorkel and enjoy, too.

Mullins; Folkstone; Payne’s; Brighton; Needham’s (Accura); Sandy; Casuarina and on-and-on.

These are our West and South Coast beaches. Close to the ship. Calm waters. Amenities.

So, I guess it depends on what you want. Do you want to just lay on one of the ten most beautiful beaches in the world, or do you want to get in and swim and snorkel?

Your tablemates will have gone to Folkstone and The Boatyard (Carlisle Bay beach), but you’ll have the memory of one of the most beautiful beaches in the world to take home.

Decisions, decisions, yes? :) :) :)

That is the best pic of Crane that I've seen; and, I was already sold on Crane.

(Makes me want to go out and buy a hammock to string up between the palms.)

I hope I can tear myself away from there and get to Bathsheba....if not, oh well....

Thanks, nitnyleo, glad that you liked the pix.

Here are a few more of The Crane to whet your appitite:

crane2.jpg

crane5.jpg

Luckily, we are able to visit there 2-3 times a year. It's always "We'll just go for lunch" and then do other things afterwords.

But for some strange reason (;)) it's always dark when we drive home and we haven't accomplished a darn thing!

I guess it's a place that one doesn't want to leave, yes? :)

An endorsement for Crane's Beach...It is beautiful. Also agree not a swimming beach, strong under tow..but you can wade and enjoy the beautiful sand and pounding surf!

The Hotel is beautiful..

The pool at the edge of the cliff by the ocean is fantastic!

We've spent a few afternoons here..and if we have time, we'll be sure to visit again on our next trip to Barbados.

We've had lunch at the hotel and the service and food was very good.

Enjoy!

Thanks mr barbados for your help. we will be with our three year old and we need to probably go to Brandons Beach so she can go into the water. i will take a ride over to cranes later in the day just to sit and enjoy i hear it is gorgeous. thanks for all your help.

I have not done this, but from what I can gather, it should not be too difficult to catch a blue bus to Crane Beach from Bridgetown.

Check out the bus schedules at the Barbados Transport Board's website http://www.transportboard.com/schedule.php

It appears to me you could take bus Route 12A

To: Sam Lords Castle

and get off of the bus at Crane, before it gets to Sam Lords Castle.

(The last six stops on Route 12A are: Heddings, Crane, Belair, Sam Lords Castle, Long Bay, and Shrewsbury)

Looks to be about an hour's trip out to Crane, but the price is right ! 75 cents U.S. ! :)

Can anyone help me confirm this ?

Also, where is the public access trail to Crane Beach ?

Is it northeast or southwest of the hotel ?

(As you face the hotel, is the trail on the left or right?)

Thanks.

When we there the surf was great for BODYSURFING. The waves were great and my kids loved it (15 &12). Yes, they did have a stand to rent chairs, umbrellas and boogies boards. In addition they sell drinks, but you can still high tail it up the stairs to the crane and get "take out" :)

I never whent at south beach like crane and I will end of november 04 but tell me; the only beach I saw was near Holetown and sandy lane. What is the difference?

Crane is actually a more Easterly Beach.. and much rougher than any west coast beach like Sandy Lane and Holetown. cliffs surround you on this beach. Body surfing at it's best.. but be careful. not for the weak of heart..

enjoy

Hi: Our cruise disembarks in Barbados and we were looking for a place for brunch and a drink before our flight departs. What are the votes? Sandy Lane or Crane?

Thanks in advance.

Tracey

I'm going to have to vote for the Crane.

It has won many awards for it's fine cusine, plus you cannot beat the view anywhere else.

Here is a sample of their lunch menu:

Lunch Menu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chef's Table

Soup of the Day $7.00

Selection of Salads $8.00

Soup and Salad $12.50

Hot and Cold Selection $17.50

Starters Prices*

Vegetable Samosas $9.50

Bajan Fish Cakes with a Spicy Dip $9.50

Salads

Grilled Seafood Salad $36.50

Greek Salad (vegetarian) $11.50

Main Course

(Served with garnish Salad & Rice or Fries)

Grilled Filet Fish of the Day $17.50

Flying Fish Tent Bay $15.00

Malaysian Shrimp Curry $24.50

Honey Mustard Sauteed Chicken $16.50

Pasta

Fettucini Alfredo $14.00

Sandwiches & Burgers

(Served with Fries & Garnish Salad)

Mahi-Mahi Burger $15.00

Oistins Burger (Grilled Flying Fish with Cheese) $15.00

Hamburger

with Cheese

with Cheese & Bacon $14.00

$15.00

$16.00

Tuna Salad Sandwich $13.00

Club Sandwich $12.50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* All Prices in US$. Prices are V.A.T inclusive & are subject to 10% Service Charge. Prices and menu items are subject to change without notice.

Have a wonderful time with whichever spot that you choose! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are just back from a cruise that included Barbados.

Crane Beach is a definite thumbs up !

The surf was rough - not for swimming or snorkeling at all.

View was terrific. Sand is soft and powdery!

We took Bus 12 (from Fairchild Street Terminal in Bridgetown to Sam Lords Castle) to get to Crane Beach.

Trip out took about an hour on the bus plus another 20-30 minutes to get from the ship to the bus terminal by shuttle and by foot. When we boarded the bus, we told the driver that we wanted to get off at the public access to Crane Beach, not at the hotel. The public access is a few hundred yards north/northeast of the hotel entrance. From the bus stop on the road, you have to walk down a paved alley about 100 yeards or so to get to the stepping stones that take you on to the beach. The stones are not easy if you have any trouble with your walking. So, when you are coming to Crane Beach from Bridgetown, you want to get off at the first bus stop past the Crane Hotel - if you do not want to walk thru the hotel to get to the beach. The stop is by a round-about. The locals on the bus were friendly and helpful. Was a neat experience for us, but a taxi would have been alot quicker -

maybe only 30-40 minutes instead of 90. When we were done at the beach, we hiked back to the road and a ZR bus stopped in about 5 minutes. That was a wild ride back to town.... we should have waited for the full-sized blue bus...

oh well.

We rented 2 chairs and an umbrella at Crane Beach for US$15. They had cold Cokes there too for US$2.

We too just returned from Crane Beach, but we took a cab there, costing us $40 ship to Crane to Boatyard for two of us. We had lunch in the Hotel overlooking the beach. Wonderful! I had grilled mahi mahi, and DH had the Flying Fish. We simply walked on the beach after lunch, because we really wanted to spend the afternoon at the Boatyard. This was a wonderful meal with the most relaxing enjoyable view! Thanks, Islander!

Archived