FOD (Friends of Dorothy Meetings) on Legend?

sawmillbarb

i did not know what it was but it was listed on our ecstasy capers 2-3 times on our cruise a few weeks ago.if you need i can look it up and tell you the days but not sure if all ships are the same.

I've never seen a FOD listed, lots of FOBs though.

The origin of the term is unknown and there are various theories. Most commonly it has been linked to the film The Wizard of Oz because Judy Garland, who starred as the main character Dorothy, is often noted as a major icon in the gay community; and in the film, Dorothy is accepting of those who are different, e.g. a gentle lion living a lie, "I'm afraid there's no denyin', I'm just a dandy lion."[1][2] This theory of origin has been disputed, however. Those disputing it feel the Garland theory of origin likely developed among younger gay people who had no access to early 20th century oral histories.

180px-Judy_Garland_in_The_Wizard_of_Oz_trailer_2.jpg

We have been FOD meetings in the Capers on all 5 cruises since last October.

(3 different ships)

BTW, if you want to make sure one is scheduled, simply go to the Purser's desk and ask. If they don't have one scheduled, they would be glad to add it!!

Yep, they have those onboard also, you have to check the capers.

FOD as posted above

FOB Friends of Bill for AA

FOF Friends of Fred for all single babes looking for trouble :D

Fred

Yeah, like Wendy will let you get away with that one!! :rolleyes:

On the glory, there was FOD meetings every evening, my partner and I met some really nice people. The FOD on the glory was in the burgundy bar, the bartender was the best on the ship, she could mix a mean martini!

We are planning a trip on the legend for next fall, so I hope they offer them again.

MAC

They may gauge it on attendance the first night to see if they want to continue it. On our cruise there was 10-15 people at this small bar, and the group was buying plenty of cocktails, maybe that is why they continued it every night.

MAC

Pretty sure I've read on here before that Carnival doesn't do FOD's, but I could be wrong.

I suggest you chech with the SMEs on the G&L board to make sure.

I noticed one (after the fact) on the Conquest in Oct 2006.

If you're interested, check the Capers daily or with the Purser's Desk.

The origin of the term is unknown and there are various theories. Most commonly it has been linked to the film The Wizard of Oz because Judy Garland, who starred as the main character Dorothy, is often noted as a major icon in the gay community; and in the film, Dorothy is accepting of those who are different, e.g. a gentle lion living a lie, "I'm afraid there's no denyin', I'm just a dandy lion."[1][2] This theory of origin has been disputed, however. Those disputing it feel the Garland theory of origin likely developed among younger gay people who had no access to early 20th century oral histories.

i'm a young gay man (27...28 in march) and i always thought the term "friends of dorothy" had to do with wizard of oz...but more because of the whole "somewhere over the rainbow" thing as the rainbow is a symbol of pride among the GLBTQ community...

speaking of the wizard of oz...for those interested, they're airing a three part series on Sci-Fi channel starting tonight called "tin man." looks BEAUTIFUL...a new twist on the tale of oz. i've got my tivo set up for it already! :D

Does anyone know when they are scheduled? We are traveling with a few gay friends tomorrow and heard these were alot of fun.

Barbara

My partner and I were on the Legend last Fall and they had FOD meetings listed in the Capers often. Go and enjoy.

Dan and Miguel

Archived