What time will I actually get back to the ship after the Feast of Lele?

cruisin'sz

I'm trying to decide who to rent a car from - apparently, Advantage is walking distance to the ship (Pride of Aloha) (easier than going to the airport), but they close between 9:30 and 10. Can I expect to be back by 9:30 or am I pushing my luck? I know Feast of Lele lets out at 8:30 - I also know the drive is about 45 minutes....but are those true times? Does that 45 minutes account for traffic and for waiting to pick up your parked car?

... Does that 45 minutes account for traffic and for waiting to pick up your parked car?

Forty five minutes is the average driving time from Lahaina to Kahului without factoring in time spent standing in the parking lot and in additional traffic. I haven't been to the Feast of Lele so can't tell you how much of either of those you're likely to face.

We were on the Pride of America in early November and attended the Feast of Lele. We had reservations for a rental car from Thrifty at the airport and when I had made the reservation, was told the last shuttle to the ship was at 9:30. When we arrived at Thrifty that day, they said the last shuttle was at 9. The luau was wonderful, but at 8:20, the firedancer had not yet begun. We waited till 8:25, he still had not started, then left and got back to Thrifty at 9:05 after filling the tank. There was no traffic to speak of. We just caught the last shuttle. I felt bad we missed the highlight of the luau and really wish there was a "luau shuttle" for all the passengers who want to attend Lahaina luau's and also for those who want to enjoy the tropical drinks without having to drive back.

IMO (and this is just me), it is not worth the worry (not to mention that tix aren't cheap and you do end up "cheating" yourself out of having the entire experience) having to leave before the end of the luau in order to rush back to Kahului to either catch a rental car shuttle (when it's not that much to take a taxi if neccesary) or turn a car in before a closing time (ask if after hours dropoff is available).

If they close at 10 and you leave Lahaina about 9, you should be fine. Keep in mind Ka Honu's advice about time considerations. It's possible that there could be an accident or whatnot, and it's not as if you can just take a different route. There's only the one main road between Ma'alaea and Lahaina (well, all the way around the north, but we're only talking about the part to Lahaina). However, I think that you should stay until the end of the show, relax and enjoy the experience, and then drive safely back to Kahului (it's not dangerous driving by any means, but if you've not driven it before, it will be unfamiliar).

beachchick

Archived