Half Moon Cay

cruisencarol

I'll second Host Star's recommendation.

Except for the rock barrier at the end of the beach it's all sand bottom, so shore snorkeling ranges from bad to nonexistent.

The boat excrusion is quite good. There are very nice coral gardens and marine life less than a 1/2 mile off shore. You're always within sight of the shore and cruise ship.

It's about a 2-3 hour trip, so you still have plenty of time to enjoy the beach.

I am sure you are correct, but I get sea sick on small boats so I like to snorkel from shore.

Then you will want to snorkel at the end of the beach by the kids play area along the rocks. You can just see a little bit of the rock in the far right of this photo.

l9.jpg

Where the water is a light blue color is where the bottom is sand which means poor snorkeling. Where the water is a bit darker, that is where there is a rocky bottom and therefore better snorkeling.

Then you will want to snorkel at the end of the beach by the kids play area along the rocks. You can just see a little bit of the rock in the far right of this photo.

Where the water is a light blue color is where the bottom is sand which means poor snorkeling. Where the water is a bit darker, that is where there is a rocky bottom and therefore better snorkeling.

Is there much to see? I was thinking about some HAL trips but was reluctant to give up the snorkeling at Princess cay which has a fair amount of fish.

Is there much to see? I was thinking about some HAL trips but was reluctant to give up the snorkeling at Princess cay which has a fair amount of fish.

Hi,

I was on my second cruise this year to HMC in November and I can second, do the boat snorkel. The water was smooth as glass and the snorkel boat is pretty wide open so sea sickness shouldn't be a problem (you only travel a few minutes to the reef). As far as the swimming area, you won't see much. Like other's have recommended, go left on the beach near the children's area by the rock jetty and you'll see a few things (I saw my first seahorse there in March). But generally it's pretty much a desert in the sand areas (you'll see a small school or two of small fish but nothing worth really looking at).

HMC Beach area under water (it's pretty much an underwater desert)

HMC_underwater.jpg

Only school of fish I saw in the beach area

HMC_school.jpg

Compare the pictures above with the reef on the HMC snorkel trip by boat

HMC_reef.jpg

All these pictures were taken last month. Hope this helps!

Randall

Archived