2nd time cruisers - feedback about carnival pride for mexican riviera?

xcluex

Hello,

This is our first time posting (in any travel website). We are a relatively young couple (SK is 34 and I am 30) celebrating our birthdays and recent engagement. We have booked the Carnival Pride for the Mexican Riviera departing at 1/13/08. We have only sailed previously with RCI Radiance of the Seas. We are located on the west coast, so we opted for the the pacific side cruise this time to avoid the air travel time, and have visited PV as part of an all-inclusive vacation package, so we know not to expect the turquoise caribbean water but enjoyed our cruise experience with RCI so much that we really wanted to do a cruise for this vacation. Our main questions are: (1) how does RCI in the Radiance class compare with the Spirit class of Carnival, especially in terms of public rooms decor and style (I read some reviews that public rooms are dark on the Pride), and (2) we have booked an 8I category room (8226, extended balcony, panorama deck) and we are worried that the Panorama deck may not have as much sun exposure as lower decks and that we will be directly overlooking lifeboats. Thanks to anybody who can give advice.

We were in 8229. The life boats were below us but I could still see the water. Loved our room. I liked the extra balcony room and it was so convenient to the Lido deck. One of us would go get coffee and juice or lemonade for the others every morning. We normally are booked on the Panorama deck on any Carnival cruise. We really like the convenience. As far as the sun hitting you the balcony is the same as the others.

We loved the Pride and our room. Some on our cruise did not like the artsy decor. There is art work everywhere, even the elevator doors. We liked it. There were many more places to hide and read a book on this ship than the other 8 Carnival ships I have been on.

I have not been on a Royal Carribean for a while now so can't say how it compares. I always thought RCCL was a little classier in decor but much more sedate in its "fun factor". Guess it depends on waht you value the most. I took my two grown daughters on this cruise in Oct and they said it was the best time they had ever had. They have cruised before.

If you go try the night Pirate ship tour. It was a blast!

Have a great time.

Thanks gusandgidgetsmom! We can't wait for our cruise, and it sounds like we're going to have a great time - we really wanted the "fun" part, especially for our birthdays hitting post-30. Plus, SK loves pirates, so thanks for that tip (or not, as he will be constantly greeting me with "Arrrr, who goes thar"). Another question I have is about the spa services - we enjoy the steam/sauna together (nothing hanky-panky:rolleyes:), so I was wondering if the Pride has co-ed sauna/steam facilities?

X,

My first cruise was Dec 06 on Pride. It was a honeymoon cruise for us, and we are fairly close in age to you and yours. We loved it.

The Pride is b-e-a-utiful. The interior decor is amazing. In one hand, it IS artsy.. I mean ... cmon there is a replica David statue overlooking the whole atrium... BUT.... he is naked, just like the real one. I recall seeing lots of nude art, for that matter. I did NOT think the public rooms were too dark at all. Keep in mind that a good deal of the light in public areas is from outside via skylight or porthole... so if its overcast during the day, its going to be darker.

Be prepared for cool weather from Long Beach until you get down near Cabo. The pacific is COLD along the socal/ northern baha coast. I think it made the nice weather of PV even better. Make no mistake, we were still out on deck. It was not THAT bad. She was in jeans and maybe a long sleeve overshirt or one of those lighter, "fashion" hoodies... I was still in shorts.

The top of the lifeboats is even with or slightly above the floorline of deck 5, so you should be well above them. How do I know this? Our friends ( whom we met via Cruise Critic message boards) had an obstructed view room on Deck 5...and unless you were laying on the deck ( literally the deck, not in a chair) looking out, the lifeboats were not in the way of the view. A standing toddler could see over the tops of the boats.

Ok... hope this helps you some. We are going on Spirit in Feb, and we will be on her Panorama deck. Someone above said they liked the accessibility of deck 8, and I would have to agree. No elevator rides to get up to the pools, bars, and buffet on the Lido. I cannot wait!

Archived