Insurance?

travgurl

We buy the insurance for several reasons:

• We are traveling outside of the US and want to make sure we are covered for any medical costs
  • we've seen medical evacuations by helicopter and know what the cost is
  • the insurance we have covers trip interuption for a variety of reasons including missed flights, traffic accidents, etc
  • it includes luggage insurance
  • We have elderly parents who could get sick and need our care

I used squaremouth.com to compare plans, looking at each plan and choosing one that is primary coverage so that I wouldn't have an coordination of benefit issues. Insuremytrip.com is another comparison tool that many use. Be sure to check the BBB ratings if you should decide to buy it.

We never bought it before this cruise. But like others on this thread we have seen on Our cruises medical evacats. I myself had lung cancer &am cancer free for 5 years but my fear is if something happens I will need the insurance.

Plus I am getting to old turning gray over is it gonna snow, are we able to get out & loosing all the money that we spent on our vacation..

Better be safe then sorry...

I always thought "can't happen to us...we're young" (late 30s). For reasons unknown, I did purchase insurance on my last cruise--maybe because it was just my 9 year old and myself, husband couldn't go but we couldn't pass up the price. So, I bought insurance. Everything was great until the evening of the last day when my DD became extremely ill and we spent the last 14 hours of the cruise in the infirmary thinking it might be a ruptured appendix and we may get evacuated. In the end, thankfully it wasn't!

After almost $3000 in medical bills (between the ship and the ER upon return), I ended up paying about $650 out of pocket--which includes the entire yearly deductible for her from our primary insurance. Trip insurance even paid for my cell calls when I was having to make arrangements for transportation to the ER and when I was calling her father to let him know what was going on.

So I say, if you can afford the insurance GET IT....then hope you don't have to use it!

I always buy trip insurance. I've had to use it 3 times out of 10 cruises. None of it for medical reasons, but for trip delays. Twice, the ship has been so late getting into port that I missed my flights home and had to rebook for the following day. Once I was delayed because the connecting airport was shut down due to tornadoes.

You just never know what could happen. The insurance covered my re-booking fees, rental cars, hotels, food and delayed luggage.

Archived