Byob

mash1982

No, sorry, Princess' policy is to charge a corkage fee for any bottle that you bring outside of your stateroom to the dining room for consumption. For the exact amount, go to www.princess.com and search "corkage fee" and "alcoholic beverages" in their search feature and it will give you the exact details.

These also give you the policy on exactly how much alcohol you can bring on board, as well, so that you can avoid having it confiscated until the end of the cruise.

(Former Princess employee speaking here).

Hi guys,

It will be our first time cruising and I plan to bring few bottles of wine onboard. Can I bring my own bottle to dinner and open it myself to avoid corkage fee?

thanks

No you can't. As a large group, we brought a couple cases of wine w/ us. The first night they didn't charge us a corkage fee. The next few nights they did, but one night we offered the head waiter some of our wine. He loved it and never again did we have to pay the corkage fee. Bring some good wine...keep the head waiter happy, he might forget all about the fee. It's definately worth a shot if you happen to see him. It worked for us. He spent a lot of time at our table after that....never saw any other time before our offer.

We just came back from a B2B in November on CB. I brought 7 good bottles with us, and purchased 3 more on the Islands. While policy is to charge a corkage fee, we were never charged once throughout our 14 days on the ship.

I think several factors might play a role. First, would be your dining choice. You are less likely going to be charged in the traditional dining room, as you have a more intimate relationship with your wait staff, than in Anytime. It is also dependent on your wait staff. Finally, it might just be the luck of the draw.

I even had the head waiter decant the wine on a few nights, and still no charge.

Regards,

Chef

You can pour your wine in your stateroom and bring your glass to dinner, if you care to. Of course, refills are inconvenient. And it may technically be a no-no, I'm not sure. But they don't know if you carried it in from another bar so can't really police it.

Hi Mash1982;

The previous information you have been provided is correct. We have brought wine before when we had a special vintage we wanted to enjoy.

However, I find the wine list on Princess to be very reasonable compared to land based venues. Unless you have some unusual tastes in wine, save the hassel and bother of trying to BYOB and just order off the list. We do bring a bottle or two for consumption on our private balcony, and there is no extra charge for that.

fair winds

Dave

Also try to pack your bottles in your checked luggage.

I have read and read on these posts and still haven't heard of anyone having their wine confiscated from checked luggage.

Of course, if anyone has, please speak up and let us know the details!:p

Archived