Caribbean Princess with 1 year old

tikcho

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean sailing on March 9. We are going with my son who will be 1 at the time as well as my in laws.

I've been reading a lot of reviews of the ship and it seems like a nice ship but I'm not sure how baby-friendly it is so I'm hoping to hear from people who have been on it (or the similar Princess ships) with small kids.

Did you get a crib or PNP? Did you do formal or anytime dining? Is it easy to get a high chair in the dining rooms? How is the size of the outside cabins? Was there enough entertainment during sea days that can be kid-freindly - music, dancing, games, etc (not for kids specifically but something he can watch and be entertained)? How strict was the policy about no children with diapers in the kiddie pool (swim diapers)?

I'd like to hear about any experiences - good or bad.

We haven't sailed on that ship specifically with out little one, but I can tell you that children must be toilet trained to go into the pools. Many on th efamily board suggest bringing a small, inflatable pool (which we will try on the Emerald this week).

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean sailing on March 9. We are going with my son who will be 1 at the time as well as my in laws.

I've been reading a lot of reviews of the ship and it seems like a nice ship but I'm not sure how baby-friendly it is so I'm hoping to hear from people who have been on it (or the similar Princess ships) with small kids.

Did you get a crib or PNP? Did you do formal or anytime dining? Is it easy to get a high chair in the dining rooms? How is the size of the outside cabins? Was there enough entertainment during sea days that can be kid-freindly - music, dancing, games, etc (not for kids specifically but something he can watch and be entertained)? How strict was the policy about no children with diapers in the kiddie pool (swim diapers)?

I'd like to hear about any experiences - good or bad.

I've not been on that ship, but I've found Princess to be extremely baby friendly. When my twins were still in high chairs, we ate every meal in the dining room and they always found two high chairs very quickly. I did also see stacks of high chairs in the buffet area, so I think they're always ready for babies. We always found plenty to do during the day - in fact the days flew by. You are also allowed to take your baby to the kids' area as long as one parent is there. We always found lots of other under-3s crawling/toddling around and it was fun to have different toys to play with.

As for the toddler pool, on both the Princess ships I was on, I will be honest and tell you they did not enforce the "no swim diapers" in the that pool (on both the ships I was on, it's a tiny pool within the boundaries of the kids area - about the size of a large bath tub - that's constantly flushing). There were always babies in it. But honestly, it's more convenient to just bring a little splash pool for yourself - and there is so much to do during sea days, that we've never missed not having a pool to go in.

Enjoy!

Best,

Mia

I was supposed to go on Celebrity Millennium last year and leave my then 14 month old behind. Celebrity canceled the cruise (which I am now going on this year with my now 26 month old). We rebooked last year on the Caribbean Princess without our son. I brought a photo album of my son and the first thing I did was set it up by my bed. The cabin steward saw it and asked and I told him. He said you will regret not bringing him as there were lots of babies his age on this ship. We were surrounded by children his age and everywhere we went we saw children his age. It was one of the worst cruises I ever took because I missed my son so much. You will have a great time with your son and the staff will take care of you. They love kids. I do recommend bringing a blow up pool especially if you would like to put him in it while you watch a movie by the main pool during the day. You will be able to put him in a shady area and still see the movie.

There will be no problems with high chairs either. I saw both PNP and square cribs in rooms.

One hint I can't remember which is which but look at the carpet starboard vs. port in the hallways of the rooms you will see that one side has a blue edge striping and the other has a red edge striping this will help you easily figure out which way to turn getting off the elevator or stairwell. Forward is one way aft is the other and center is the same as one of those.

My main problem with princess is the Buffet doesn't have trays so when you are trying to carry food for more then one or even just for your self (eggs, bagel -on plate and bowl of oatmeal) it becomes a challenge. I told my husband next time we take Princess I'm going to a restaurant supply and bringing my own tray. :rolleyes:

We were on the Caribbean Princess in April but did not bring our DD. As another poster said there is a very small kiddie pool but there is also a sign re: only potty trained kids are allowed. I second taking a blow up tub and also tub toys. There will be plenty going on for your son to see, make sure you find a spot at Neptunes pool, I think that is the one with the music and pool games. It will be a tight squeeze with a PNP/Crib in the room but you will manage. That ship has a ton of storage & a huge closet.

We just got off the Crown Princess Saturday and it was our first cruise with our 3 yo. I must say they pampered her more than us!! There were high chairs and booster seats in all dining rooms and also the grill area and buffet. We had anytime dining and never had a problem finding a booster. I am sure you will have no problem finding them on the CB either. On our drive home my DD was so upset that vacation was over!! You will have a great time, just keep checking the family & Princess board and you will be totally prepared!! :)

Archived