Family with young adult children

DesertRose15

Hi everyone,

We are considering our first cruise with our 3 young adult children, ages 25, 22 and 19. We are thinking about the 7 day RCCL Vision of the Seas out of LA the first of June, '08 to celebrate our middle son's college graduation. We prefer to sail from L.A. because it's only about 6 hour drive from home.

In order to make this work, we need to be fairly budget minded. Our sons are the 2 older ones and our daughter is 19. We thought about an oceanview cabin that would hold our daughter, my husband and me and a nearby interior for our sons. But when I looked on the RCCL site, it looked like the oceanview cabins only hold 2 people? The suite prices look like they are so much more expensive per person and probably out of our price range. So what are our best options?

Any thoughts about activities for the 25 and 22 year olds? I'm sure they would like the late night activities as long as there are other singles on board. Would there be enough to do to keep them interested? We haven't taken a family trip in about three years.

The more I think about it the more confused I become! All suggestions are very welcome!

There are oceanviews on Vision of the Seas that have 3rd and 4th pullman beds so you shouldn't have any problems putting 3 people into one. If you are looking at the deck plans on RCCL's website, if you notice a little cross after the room number that means the room has 3rd and 4th pullmen beds.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I didn't pay any attention to what the little crosses next to the room numbers meant! :o

I'm still hoping that this is a good idea for us. I hope that my sons won't be bored on a cruise with their parents and younger sister. It's a lot of money and want this to be a good decision.

Any advice is welcome!

Last December we took our kids on a 6 night cruise. Daughter and her hubby had a cabin, we had one and our sons (20 & 22) had another one - all inside - you aren't there that often and they are so much more affordable when paying for more people. We Had a GREAT Time. We had cruised earlier in the year with the 2 boys and they had fun then as well. On the 1st cruise with the boys - they did their own excursion at one stop while hubby & I did our thing. Then our other stop, we all just went to the beach. It was so much fun that they said "We have to do this again" - which when we got a great price for a cruise right before Christmas, we jumped on it. Christmas last year was so much fun - I only had to buy presents for my parents and my MIL - the cruise was the Christmas present for the kids. This year our youngest son asked if we could go again for Christmas - he is graduating college in May and will be in the Marine Corps after that - so we decided that we would do it again - however this year the other kids can't join us. We leave next week and I can't wait!

Your children are all adults. Talk it over with them. Have them do a little research on the ship, the amenities, the activities, and the excursions, and maybe send them over to CC to browse the boards. I'll bet the more they see, the more excited they'll be to have such a great holiday to look forward to! :)

Archived