HAL (Statendam) vs. RCI (Freedom) for New Years Cruise (Dec 08)

hince57

NOTE: I posted this on the RCI forum and subsequently realized that perhaps I should solicit the advice of HAL fans, as well. As stated below, my previous experience with HAL was not one to remember, but maybe things have changed...

My extended family is planning a small reunion for next year around New Years. The choices, for the time being are:

- the Statendam on HAL leaving Ft Lauderdale and going to Nassau, San Juan, St Thomas, and Half Moon Cay, and;

- FOS leaving Miami on RCI going to San Juan, St Thomas, and St Maarten.

Prices on HAL are 1303/person, and prices on RCI are 1453/person.

Let me state up front that I am unquestionably and explicitly wanting to go on FOS. However, the primary planner of this cruise (my mother), the TA, and another extended family member are leaning toward HAL. I've only been on one HAL cruise (the Zuiderdam for my honeymoon when I was 24 years old!), and it was a mistake, probably most notable because of the demographics of the cruise line. We have a wide range of ages going (17 yo - 80 yo), and I wanted some thoughts on the best way to go.

Any tips the RCI (now HAL) lovers can give me to coerce my family to stick with RCI (or go with HAL)? I've already listed to them the amenities on Freedom (and conversely told them how "old" the crowd is on HAL). And I also plan to have them watch the Samantha Brown show about Freedom on the Travel Channel this weekend.

For all intents and purposes, money isn't an issue, but I'd still like affirmation that RCI will be a better value!

I really don't want to cave and go on HAL again. My wife and I really did not care for it.

TIA.

I will tell you my bias upfront and that is that holiday sails on any cruise line are usually not the best way to experience a cruise. Most ships sail with all beths filled to capacity. There are often issues with wild and crazy kids that carry the potential to diminish the overall experience. It seems that the crews are so often stretched beyond what they can reasonably handle and there are so many, too many dissappointing reviews from people who chose to sail any mass marketed cruise line during the holidays.

The season will however reduce the average age onboard the Staendam and as the demographics change so will the onboard experience. Regardless, the Statendam experience will most likely be quieter and skewed older than RCL.

I do not think it possible to compare and contrast the Statendam to the FoS. It's a night and day difference, beyond apples and oranges. The Statendam is, with the exception of the Prinsendam, the oldest ship in the HAL fleet while FoS is the youngest in the RCL fleet. This does not mean newer is better. It does however, mean that the newer ship is more apt to have more of everything, including passengers.

The Statendam built in 1992 carries about 1,266 pax versus FoS, built in 2006 carries about 4,375. That's a substantial difference in terms of everything.

May I suggest that you consider the Eurodam instead of the Statendam. This ship will be introduced in 2008 and carries about 2,044 passengers. I would then let whomever is paying for the cruise and the intinerary determine the outcome.

This is a problem. What is best for the 80 year old may not be best for the 17 year old! As the poster above said, a holiday cruise presents some problems. I suggest you go over to the RC board and read about the experiences on a recent Thanksgiving cruise. Our decision as a middle age couple is different from what it would have been when we had two teenage boys. Maybe the Eurodam would be a choice that could please all it the itinerary you want is available. Good luck!

(and yes, whoever is paying should decide)

I suggest you go over to the RC board and read about the experiences on a recent Thanksgiving cruise.

There were kids setting fires onboard one of the RCL ships and families were put off, throughout the Caribbean. The " it's my vacation and money and I'll do as I please" mentality infuses many cruises, especially over the holidays.

Then there was the so-called Katrina Victims Group on one of the Carnival ships, over Thanksgiving, that had some people afraid to leave their cabins. Last year, something similar happened on NCL.

It's the luck of the draw which ship will be hit with the crazies and the larger the ship, the more passengers it carries, the more likely one is to run into people who are intent on expressing their version of "normal".

And unless "normal" threatens the safety of other passengers, cruise lines are more apt to ignore it, than not.

thanks for the recommendation on the eurodam. that appeals to me more than the statendam. i also like that itinerary (aruba and curacao).

we shall see...

Oh my stars, don't forget Half Moon Cay. If cost is not an issue, reserve the Rooyal Palm Cabana package for your family reunion. I think it carries the potential to be the absolute highlight of your family reunion: Here is a link to information about what is available of this private and very special island:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/dest/port.do?portCode=HMC&dest=C

Archived