1st timer sailing 9/20?

LisaL

I am a first time cruiser going on the Sovereign on 9/20/04. I am a little worried about what will happen. Due to leave out of Port Canaveral. Should I check with RCL or travel agency about any changes or is it to early to tell? Thanks for your input.

LisaL, we are also first-timers going on that cruise, and I am already having some anxiety over it. I have been reading that the cruise could leave out of Miami instead due to Port Canaveral damage, and that throws a HUGE kink in our plans.

We are flying into MCO, renting a car from National, going to WDW for three days before hand, dropping our car at Port Canaveral and taxiing to the ship. Afterwards, we were supposed to pick up another rental car from National at Canaveral and drive back to Orlando, spending three days at Universal before flying out.

If I have to drive to Miami to board, where do I leave a rental? I already know that there are no agencies at the port! And where do I go to pick one up afterward to drive back to Orlando? I've been searching, and still have no good answers.

Mmoore1851,

Yikes! I totally understand your feelings. I spoke with my travel agent and she said she has not been notified of any changes yet. Too early to tell. I then spoke with RCCL and they told me worst case we would leave from Port Everglades and RCCL would provide transport from Orlando airport to Port Everglades, it is however a 3 hour drive and I must make sure I have enough time to get there. We were supposed to fly in on the 20th approx 1100 am. SO I am thinking if this happens I will try to change that and come in day before. At least you will be there a few days pre cruise. Maybe you could just leave the rental at MCO and then pick it up again when we get back? Hopefully during the next week things will get better.

I have been doing some research on this. I wasn't aware that RCCL might be shuttling us! I've been putting off calling them to ask since they have so many other things to worry about right now. So I made another reservation to pick up a car at MCO, then drop it at MIA and taxi to the Port of Miami, then after disembarking, taxiing back, picking up a car, and hightailing it back to Orlando. I'm thinking that might be quicker and more convenient for us than shuttling on the RCCL buses...But I still kept the old reservations that were to be dropped off at Port Canaveral, too.

However.. Port Everglades throws a whole new monkeywrench into the works...Back to the "search" function.

I know this sounds crazy, but the waiting is driving me nuts. I emailed Port Canaveral this morning, about the dredging, and they told me the 9/20 cruise should not be affected. Good News? Lets hope so. I checked updates this morning and Carnival has boats returning to the port on 9/12. Potentially more good news. Also, my thoughts are with all of you in Florida enduring this horrible weather. Good Luck with Ivan!

Archived