Who does NCL's dolphin/snorkel catamaran out of Kona? Feedback?

AZGrandma

I have shifted my snorkeling plans from Maui's Molokini Crater to Kona. I want to try Fair Winds since everyone here raves about it, but I am nervous about being there to check in by 8:30. If I miss the first tender, I assume we're toast! So, what about taking NCL's version? Has any CC'er done it? If so, can you give feedback about it? Does it go to K-Bay? If not, were you happy with where it DID go?

It is cheaper than Fair Wind. That's a first for a ship version of an excursion, and makes me think it offers less. Perhaps it doesn't go to K-Bay and Capt. Cook monument and is not 'worth' as much. Fair Wind is about $115 and NCL snorkel is $89.

Thanks for any insights,

Leslie

• Administrators
I have shifted my snorkeling plans from Maui's Molokini Crater to Kona. I want to try Fair Winds since everyone here raves about it, but I am nervous about being there to check in by 8:30. If I miss the first tender, I assume we're toast! So, what about taking NCL's version? Has any CC'er done it? If so, can you give feedback about it? Does it go to K-Bay? If not, were you happy with where it DID go?

It is cheaper than Fair Wind. That's a first for a ship version of an excursion, and makes me think it offers less. Perhaps it doesn't go to K-Bay and Capt. Cook monument and is not 'worth' as much. Fair Wind is about $115 and NCL snorkel is $89.

Thanks for any insights,

Leslie

Leslie, here's a link to the website for the vendor NCL was using back in July -- couldn't say if it's the same now -- http://www.kamanu.com/

As you surmised, the big difference is that this catamaran goes to Pawai, instead of Kealakekua Bay.

Hope that helps!

We were not on the first tender (probably second or third... DD was on first and said they'd bveen waiting almost on hour for the rest of us) several weeks ago and made it to Fairwinds with plenty of time to spare. Hopped in cabs and they took us straight there and came back to get us when it was over. It was a great trip! One of our favorites!

• Administrators
We were not on the first tender (probably second or third... DD was on first and said they'd bveen waiting almost on hour for the rest of us) several weeks ago and made it to Fairwinds with plenty of time to spare. Hopped in cabs and they took us straight there and came back to get us when it was over. It was a great trip! One of our favorites!

I should add this is what we did too, and didn't have any problems -- but we did consider the NCL-offered catamaran trip. After doing my research, I knew I didn't want to go to Pawai... I wanted to go to Kealakekua Bay and it all worked out for us. One of the best memories of our cruise. :)

Archived