Suite Amenities Package

Forestwalkers

This reminds me of Celebrity when they launched their Concierge Class. The people who booked those rooms actually had (and still have) more perks then those who book suites. Their rationale is that people book suites for the room, while those that book CC rooms are booking for the perks. However they market this room as for people who want a taste of a suite, even though the suites don't get all that Concierge Class rooms get.

The problem with this for HAL is that their suites aren't as well laid out as Celebrity's. They way this package is set up is that the those in Superior Suites will get more then those in Deluxe Suites (minus Neptune Lounge). Deluxe Suites can get more perks, but what's the point? I like perks, so that's why I like to get Deluxe Suites, the extra package that is offered is nothing more then a few things bundled together that you can get while onboard. There is no exclusiveness that some people look for when they book a suite, or at least the exclusiveness has been somewhat compromised by offering the same perks in a lesser suite.

It looks like this is going to be of benefit to me as I am in a VA, HAL explained that you could be in any Category of cabin and book the Suite Amenities Package. The drinks package is 2 bottles of spirit and 2 of wine from a choice for our 2 week cruise. It is the priority debarkation procedure we really want - we were quoted more that $1200 to upgrade to a SY so remaining in our VA with this package works out better for us - shame about the smaller cabin

Is a "VIP Debarkation Lounge" something you get BEFORE you disembark, or AFTER?

If BEFORE, then I guess deluxe suite passengers don't need it since we have Neptune.

If AFTER, then I would wonder why we can't get it too, unless we already do.

The one thing I saw on the list for the non-deluxe passengers that could potentially water down the deluxe-suite perks is the "Special VIP Debarkation Procedures". If they offer that to too many people, then deluxe passengers may have to wait longer at the tenders. This is a very minor point, of course. And for all we know, unless someone has heard more, those "special" procedures still take second place to a Gold Card or Black Card or whatever color our special deluxe suite card is.

The monogrammed bathrobe and the VIP Debarkation Lounge for non-S pax and not for S pax really do have me stumped.

The bathrobes remind me of the Just For Us package. (I don't know if they still have this or what is now included) I had this package a couple of times but it was more than 5 years ago.

At the end of the cruise you received 2 bathrobes to take home. They were monagrammed with the Hal logo. (I have 3 terry cloth ones in my closet still in the original wrapper. :) )

I am stumped also with the VIP Debarkation Lounge.

I think the VIP debarkation lounge is much like what Princess has for Platinum and Elite Captain's Circle Members. They want you out of your rooms so they can be readied for the next set of passengers, so they set up a lounge with coffee and pastries where you can sit and relax until your color is called.

Suite passengers on Princess usually are allowed to stay in their rooms until their color is called, but they generally get a color that is called early. I think suite passengers on HAL also are allowed to stay in their rooms until their color is called. I know that Krazy Kruisers had to wait until after 9:30 to get into the Penthouse Suite on her return trip on the Maasdam last fall because the occupants of the Penthouse didn't leave until then.

I think this whole business is part of the Carnivalization of the entire group. HAL gets to sound more and more like Princess. Princess has "special packages" that people can buy - dinner on your balcony, special champagne breakfasts, etc. It's a bit like buying a cabana for the day at HMC. They make you feel extra special and you shell out more bucks.

What I wonder is will suite passengers still get the bottles of wine from the Captain and Hotel Manager? Or will that now be part of the package that you have to buy?

On Princess, suite passengers get a glass of champagne on embarkation, in their room, not a bottle. When we were on Celebrity in 2004, we got a glass on embarkation as we walked onto the ship and found a bottle of champagne waiting for us in an ice bucket in our mini-suite.

Roberta

i've searched and searched under 'for booked guests' and 'choose gifts' and come up with nothing that even resembles this package being available...the only 'package' that comes up is the 'bon-voyage' which consists of champagne, flowers and a balloon.

is this available only on certain ships??

Bluebobway,

Choose the printable gift list and look at the far right-hand side, the 3rd column of 3 and you'll see the suite packages. The amenities are listed but there are no prices listed.There's a number to call as the package prices are set by ship and length of cruise.

GN

Why shouldn't someone who books a cabin early, regardless of category, not get their dining preference? And, I say this as someone who books relatively LATE and might not always get mine!!! I swear I'm starting to believe in conspiracies. Introduce AYW, then make $$$ because folks will pay extra to get their preference...

Susan, you're not alone. I'm believing that too. AYW dining is gonna be the dining venue for the "average bear" who takes a regular run-of-the-mill cabin. Traditional will probably be filled by people staying in suites or purchasing the suite enhancement packages. HAL came up with the AYW dining and then figured out a neat marketing plan to turn it into a cash cow for the line. Not fair to us, but let's be honest ... the line found a way to make more money via AYW dining by selling the slots in what will probably be the more popular traditional to people who will be willing to book the top of the line suites, or buy enhancement package for the lower level ones in order to guarantee themselves a slot in traditional. In effect, what HAL is now doing is charging people for the more popular dining format ... traditional. This is the same thing that the airlines are starting to do by charging people extra for the more popular seats, such as those in the bulkheads or on the aisles.

Blue skies ...

--rita

All pax on HAL ships are allowed to stay in their staterooms until their numbers are called, regardless of category.

Unless they are planning to change this?

On Princess you can't stay in your cabin beyond a certain time. The Elite people, and probably those in the upper level suites, however, have a special lounge where they can wait until it's time to disembark. The "average bear" has to stand around the atrium and wait ... chairs are at a premium and are pretty much for the handicapped. Others grab spots to sit wherever they can find them ... on the floor, on the stairs, etc.

I'm wondering if maybe HAL is planning on changing their policy regarding waiting in the cabins. After all, if the stewards could get into those cabins earlier and get them cleaned, they would be ready for embarking guests as soon as they got onboard ... just as the case is with Princess.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We love the deluxe suites for the space, concierge, bathroom-dressing area, free laundry, and Neptune Lounge goodies, in that order. For the extra price, the only things we would use would be the thermal suites and dinner at the Pinnacle. And only I would use the thermal suite and probably only 3 or 4 days at most on a seven day cruise. So that package doesn't sound like it's worth it. For the other cabins, using the preferred dining option, free laundry, and dinner at Pinnacle would also not make that worth the price. Therefore, we would pass on both these packages. As for taking the bathrobes home - we have to fly to and from port and I really don't want to limit our luggage weight allowance for taking "free" robes home. We would just have to take our chances on getting traditional dining and pass on this expensive option.

Unless they are planning to change this?

On Princess you can't stay in your cabin beyond a certain time. The Elite people, and probably those in the upper level suites, however, have a special lounge where they can wait until it's time to disembark. The "average bear" has to stand around the atrium and wait ... chairs are at a premium and are pretty much for the handicapped. Others grab spots to sit wherever they can find them ... on the floor, on the stairs, etc.

I'm wondering if maybe HAL is planning on changing their policy regarding waiting in the cabins. After all, if the stewards could get into those cabins earlier and get them cleaned, they would be ready for embarking guests as soon as they got onboard ... just as the case is with Princess.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Boy, that would be a disappointing change. I really hope they never stop letting us stay in our cabins until time to disembark. It was a rude awakening on QM2 when we had to leave the cabin, especially since the stewardess actually started prepping the cabin for new occupants the night before! By the time we returned from breakfast, it looked to me like almost everything had been done except for, hopefully, a more thorough cleaning. It felt like we were being shoved out the door and I have LOVED staying in our own personal, private space on HAL. But, ya know, it may be happening. There may be some financial motivation behind it - some way to change the way they allocate staff or something... Dang, I don't WANT a special debarkation lounge. But, they're right, if they kick us out of the cabins, some of us would probably pay extra to avoid some of the crowds. (Hope no one in Seattle read that! No, I won't pay extra. No, no, no! LOL!)

Susan

By not confirming anyone else until all the deluxe verandah suites have been sold and dining arrangements for them and anyone else who purchased the suite ammenities upgrade have been set and confirmed. No one other than those passengers (and perhaps people traveling with large groups) will have their dining arrangements confirmed until they are onboard. If there is no room left in your preferred time for dining, you'll just get corraled into As You Wish ... whether you "wish" it or not. My guess is just about everyone not in some sort of suite will be dining in As You Wish.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita, we confirm our table for two when we book (for our next cruise this was over a year in advance). We are not in a Suite but would not take the cruise if we were put in AYW.

This reminds me of Celebrity when they launched their Concierge Class. The people who booked those rooms actually had (and still have) more perks then those who book suites. Their rationale is that people book suites for the room, while those that book CC rooms are booking for the perks. However they market this room as for people who want a taste of a suite, even though the suites don't get all that Concierge Class rooms get.

The problem with this for HAL is that their suites aren't as well laid out as Celebrity's. They way this package is set up is that the those in Superior Suites will get more then those in Deluxe Suites (minus Neptune Lounge). Deluxe Suites can get more perks, but what's the point? I like perks, so that's why I like to get Deluxe Suites, the extra package that is offered is nothing more then a few things bundled together that you can get while onboard. There is no exclusiveness that some people look for when they book a suite, or at least the exclusiveness has been somewhat compromised by offering the same perks in a lesser suite.

Drew, we booked our first Celebrity Cruise and it does sound like HAL is trying out the Celebrity Concierge Class. Big difference is that our cost to upgrade was only $30.00 pp ($60.00 total) on a 5 night cruise (2A Verandah to CC Verandah same size). We figured the priority embarkation and tender priority was worth it but most of what we are getting HAL gives to all its passengers even if they are in an inside such as fresh fruit and spa bath products. It does include flowers and afternoon canapes but I heard both aren't much.

It looks like this is going to be of benefit to me as I am in a VA, HAL explained that you could be in any Category of cabin and book the Suite Amenities Package. The drinks package is 2 bottles of spirit and 2 of wine from a choice for our 2 week cruise. It is the priority debarkation procedure we really want - we were quoted more that $1200 to upgrade to a SY so remaining in our VA with this package works out better for us - shame about the smaller cabin

Hmm, VA's qualify? Perhaps I will look into this. We always book VA's because we like the location, but probably one of the few that pay the extra approx $1,500 on a 10 night (difference in Med for VA vs VF) for the same size cabin. We always do late debarkation (might as well enjoy our last breakfast) so never any issue getting off the ship. We also do not drink coffee.

I spoke with Ship Services yesterday about this package. We are booked in a cat.VE on the Mar.8 sailing of the Noordam. She said this package was only available to passengers booked in suites, i.e. SX, SY, SZ, what used to be "SS" categories. The verandah cabins on the Vista ships are just that, verandah cabins. I'd love to be able to purchased this package, having sailed twice in the Delux Verandah Suite, but I just dont think it applies.

Boy, that would be a disappointing change. I really hope they never stop letting us stay in our cabins until time to disembark. It was a rude awakening on QM2 when we had to leave the cabin, especially since the stewardess actually started prepping the cabin for new occupants the night before!

I've actually had a similar thing happen on HAL. I went to breakfast in the Lido on the morning of disembarkation. My flight didn't leave until like 1:00 p.m. and we were in San Diego ... where the airport was a hop, a skip and a jump from the cruise port ... so I was in no hurry to get off the ship. When I returned to my cabin from breakfast, the steward had already split apart the beds into twins (guess the new occupants required twins) and had them made up. He also pretty much had the cabin all spruced up with the exception of the bathroom. I guess he was waiting for me to get the h*ll out so that he could get to that.

I'm just wondering if these new suite enhancement packages could signal a new policy that people who do not get them will be required to vacate their cabins by a certain time, while suite passengers will be allowed to remain in them ... or enjoy a nice disembarkation lounge ... until their number is called. I just hope that's not going to be the case, because it's one of the main reasons I stopped sailing Princess. I did not care to be herded into the atrium for a good hour or more waiting for my color to be called.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I spoke with Ship Services yesterday about this package. We are booked in a cat.VE on the Mar.8 sailing of the Noordam. She said this package was only available to passengers booked in suites, i.e. SX, SY, SZ, what used to be "SS" categories. The verandah cabins on the Vista ships are just that, verandah cabins. I'd love to be able to purchased this package, having sailed twice in the Delux Verandah Suite, but I just dont think it applies.

The information on the HAL website confirms what Ship Services told you.

Here is a link to the page on the HAL website that addresses the two packages:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/onboard/Gift_Order_Polar.pdf

It says The Suite Amenities Package is available for all suites, excluding Deluxe Veranda suites.

The Suite Elite Package is available to only those with a Deluxe Suite booking.

No where do I see any reference than a non-suite guest can buy incremental suite privledges.

It didn't sound right to me either but someone else mentioned the VA's. I don't think there are a lot of SY, SZ's so they probably won't make much if that is the case, and seems to me the Suites should get all of these anyway based on the additional cost for them.

It didn't sound right to me either but someone else mentioned the VA's. I don't think there are a lot of SY, SZ's so they probably won't make much if that is the case, and seems to me the Suites should get all of these anyway based on the additional cost for them.

Jade, We posted at the same time. See my post right above your post, for the facts, as opposed to speculation. I think the cabin naming conventions often confuse people and cause erroneous assumptions to be made.

On another thread I reported that the average cost p/p for the most common cabin, on the Oosterdam, in February, is about $71, per day, exclusive of port charges, taxes, gratuities and fuel surcharge.

Put 3-4 passengers into one of these cabins, and it is possible that the p/p, per day cost could be as low as $25 !

That someone paying as little as $25 a day has access to the same transportation, ports, dining venues, food and entertainment as the person paying $400 a day is incredible. That all passengers can dine in cabin and remain in their cabin until their disembarkation color is called is probably not sustainable, at these prices.

I think a reality check is necessary.

On another thread I reported that the average cost p/p for the most common cabin, on the Oosterdam, in February, is about $71, per day, exclusive of port charges, taxes, gratuities and fuel surcharge.

Put 3-4 passengers into one of these cabins, and it is possible that the p/p, per day cost could be as low as $25 !

That someone paying as little as $25 a day has access to the same transportation, ports, dining venues, food and entertainment as the person paying $400 a day is incredible. That all passengers can dine in cabin and remain in their cabin until their disembarkation color is called is probably not sustainable, at these prices.

I think a reality check is necessary.

I wish prices would stop falling. I know I cannot control these things, but I wish very much that I could. Although it was great getting a bargain on a suite in September, it was too much of a bargain in the scheme of things. I can't really say to HAL, "no, don't give me that price. I should pay at least $500 more". It looks like the dye is cast and some of the things we love and have probably taken for granted may not be the same.

Maybe they'll stop building so doggone many new (huge) ships and prices will go up a little...and maybe pigs will fly.

Susan

I've actually had a similar thing happen on HAL. I went to breakfast in the Lido on the morning of disembarkation. My flight didn't leave until like 1:00 p.m. and we were in San Diego ... where the airport was a hop, a skip and a jump from the cruise port ... so I was in no hurry to get off the ship. When I returned to my cabin from breakfast, the steward had already split apart the beds into twins (guess the new occupants required twins) and had them made up. He also pretty much had the cabin all spruced up with the exception of the bathroom. I guess he was waiting for me to get the h*ll out so that he could get to that.

I'm just wondering if these new suite enhancement packages could signal a new policy that people who do not get them will be required to vacate their cabins by a certain time, while suite passengers will be allowed to remain in them ... or enjoy a nice disembarkation lounge ... until their number is called. I just hope that's not going to be the case, because it's one of the main reasons I stopped sailing Princess. I did not care to be herded into the atrium for a good hour or more waiting for my color to be called.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Wow Rita, I'd never heard of HAL doing that. I must say that my first thought when I saw our bed made up on QM2 was, "wait, we've got 30 minutes. What if we wanted a quickie", LOL!!! Of course, another naughty thought was that with all those bottles of Pol Acker waiting to go in the cabins, we could make out like bandits on free booze. ;) Of course, we were good on both counts. It did seem like a shove out the door. I was a little miffed about them taking away our info book the day before, which I noticed while we were packing. I was going to snag a couple of post cards they have in there. I never manage to write them when I'm actually on a cruise, but I like one to keep and one to give to my mom.

What was your disembarkation experience like on Cunard? We went to Royal Court Theatre and it was about an hour and forty-five minutes before our deck was called. The most inconvenient thing was that everyone had their carry-ons, so once the aisle seats were taken, you had to pretty much climb over people and their luggage (while simultaneously trying to control your own) to get in and out. It was a tight squeeze. A different venue might have presented fewer difficulties, but I'm sure they thought of that already and this must have been one of the places they thought worked for most people. I ended up smoking in the pub part of the time and talking to other passengers while DH stayed with the bags. I was so glad that by the time our deck was called the folks on the end of our aisle were gone. I just knew I'd end up tripping and falling on them, LOL!!!

I guess we'll have to wait and see what HAL does, but there are definitely signs of a creep toward some more changes. I think businesses calculate a lot of this far, far in advance and it'll be interesting to see how many of our concerns are justified - if any.

Susan

Archived