food: the best and worst

ebandive

What are your favorite RCI foods and what is just plain bad? Exclude the specialty restaurants because I know those are better, and besides there isn't one on my upcoming Grandeur cruise. What should I definately not miss and what should I pass up? Thanks! :D

I really like the chilled fruit soups, but my husband hates them. He likes the onion tart - but I'd rather go hungry than eat that!

So I guess I'm saying that "it's subjective". We all like different things.

One exception - almost everyone I've talked to doesn't particularly like the "Caribbean/Get Out There" menu items and winds up eating off of the alternative menu that night.

The only time we've been disappointed was with the RCCL version of curry. In fact, our waiter on that cruise was from India, and when DH ordered it the waiter hesitated, then said, "I can't really recommend that to you, sir. Why don't you order a second entree as well and I'll bring them both at the same time, so if you don't care for it you won't have to wait." It was very good advice, because the curry was bland and almost tasteless.

On the other hand, WaterBaby is absolutely right about the chilled fruit soups. That's something I NEVER make here at home, so they're always a special treat. My personal favorite is the Watermelon Gazpacho, but they're all good!

I really like the chilled fruit soups, but my husband hates them. He likes the onion tart - but I'd rather go hungry than eat that!

So I guess I'm saying that "it's subjective". We all like different things.

One exception - almost everyone I've talked to doesn't particularly like the "Caribbean/Get Out There" menu items and winds up eating off of the alternative menu that night.[/QUOTE]

Agree! but I love fried plantains

I don't care for the cold soups but I like the escargot and lobster...and I have been on one ship that the food wasn't that great others ships the food was wonderful...very subjective...eat what you like and if you don't like it ask for something else.......

I was on the Grandeur in October and thought that the food was pretty good in the dining room. I really liked the escargot and this asparagus/cheese pie thing, but agree that the curry puff pastry dish was nasty. For the most part, the better cuts of steak were good too. The tempura talapia that I had on the Jewel last year was just about the worst meal I've had on an RCI cruise so I avoided it on the Grandeur, but heard others say that they liked it.

Have a great trip!

It is all so subjective, I finally tried a chilled fruit soup, ick...I ordered a bowl of onion soup instead.

I usually like the lamb, I don't care for steaks and will not order chicken on a cruise. I do like fish, especially salmon and sometimes their pasta dishes are fairly good. I can always find something that is a pleasure to eat in the dining room, I know it's not gourmet but it's edible and satisfying. I know I've never, ever gone hungry on a cruise ;)

What I absolutely cannot stand is the buffet food, not just at sea and not just RCI, I've never had a decent meal at any buffet. This past weekend we had a quick bite upon boarding and I tried the honey stung chicken I've read raves about here on CC. Not good to me at all, mostly skin and sticky coating with a bit of dry meat at the center. Vegetables overcooked, meat dry and again overcooked. Then there are the long lines, dirty tables, get your own beverage, no thanks, give me the dining room any day. You can linger if you choose, but we were able to eat breakfast in the dining room in about 20 minutes, pretty much the same as the buffet, but with service.

My favorite soup is the Garlic soup. My kids (teens) enjoy the chilled soups.

I love the Escargot, (i know, i know....!) Don't care for the rubber lobster.

My poor hubby on Freedom 06' tried the Top Sirloin for the 3rd time to keep giving it a chance and no go. In fact this past July on Serenade he tried it again and no go. Tough tough tough and bad. I think he finally get's it now!

I love the Turkey dinner as well...

I think my favorite part of dinner is the loving cups of liquor at the end!! :p:D

Archived