Grand Cayman Excursion Times on Mariner

FL TERP

Hi,

I have been reading the postings on this board for quite a while but have never posted because I was always able to find my answers by using a search of the threads. I always figured that was better than starting a new post to ask a question that has been answered a million times.

However, I need some help and I can't find an answer anywhere. I posted the following in the Cayman Islands section a few days ago and have got no reply, so I'm hoping someone here can help me:

I am cruising on the Mariner of the Seas at the end of February with my girlfriend and parents. We would like to take a short, non-cruise line, excursion to Stingray city while we are in George Town since it is our first time on the island. I researched some private tours from recommendations on this site and we thought that Captain Marvin's sounded great. We really wanted to do the 8:30am two-hour tour so we had the rest of the day to shop (mom and girlfriend), or lay on the beach (me).

The itinerary for the Mariner says we get in at 8:00am so I obviously didn't think we would be able to make the 8:30am, but I emailed Captain Marvin's anyway figuring it was worth a shot. I was promptly responded to by Ruth who seemed very nice. She said we would not be able to make it if we got in at 8:00am, but she also said that the Mariner usually arrives at 7:00am and that we would then be able to make it no problem.

Does anyone here know what time the Mariner really arrives and whether we would be able to make an 8:30 tour for Captain Marvin. The next tour is at 11:15am and we really don't want to go that late. If anyone has done this before it would be great to hear from you. Or if anyone has another company that may suit my preference I would be willing to try that.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Thanks,

Jason

If I remember correctly from our Mariner Western this past March, Grand Cayman was one hour behind ship time. So while you will arrive 8 AM ship time it will be 7 AM in Grand Cayman. When we went on to Cozumel, they were two hours behind ship time I believe.

Thank you for the reply. I asked about a possible time difference, thinking that was the most obvious reason behind the descrepancy. Capt. Marvin's told me that Cayman Islands are on the same time as EST now. When the US goes to daylight savings time, then Cayman Islands are one hour behind as they do not have daylight savings times.

I'm guessing that she was simply confused as to whether we would be on daylight savings time at the time of my cruise (which we won't). That's too bad as we would really have liked to take that earlier tour so we could have the rest of the day to do other sightseeing.

Thanks again for the reply.

Thank you for the reply. I asked about a possible time difference, thinking that was the most obvious reason behind the descrepancy. Capt. Marvin's told me that Cayman Islands are on the same time as EST now. When the US goes to daylight savings time, then Cayman Islands are one hour behind as they do not have daylight savings times.

I'm guessing that she was simply confused as to whether we would be on daylight savings time at the time of my cruise (which we won't). That's too bad as we would really have liked to take that earlier tour so we could have the rest of the day to do other sightseeing.

Thanks again for the reply.

You can always do it in reverse. Shop in the morning and do the later excursion. It will be warmer then too! Not to mention when you get off the tender you can usually find an excursion company there willing to take you on the spot. We did the rays reef and rum point excursion with nativeway. If you book the early tour with them they will wait for you until your ship comes in...

You can always do it in reverse. Shop in the morning and do the later excursion. It will be warmer then too! Not to mention when you get off the tender you can usually find an excursion company there willing to take you on the spot. We did the rays reef and rum point excursion with nativeway. If you book the early tour with them they will wait for you until your ship comes in...

Thanks. I'll look into Nativeway also.

I had the same conversation with Capt Marvins last month. I was on LOS and capt marvin said they showed us coming in an hour earlier than RCCL said. I too was thinking time change - but no time change in Grand Cayman. To be safe I booked the 11:15 sting ray and snorkle. We had time to hit all the shops before the tour and then after we hit senior frogs. The last tender left at 3:30 we got to the dock at 3:15 and the line was the longest i had EVER seen. So one of us stood in the line while the rest hit the shops on the dock. I would book the later tour if i were you! Have a wonderful time!

Kathy

To be safe I booked the 11:15 sting ray and snorkle. We had time to hit all the shops before the tour and then after we hit senior frogs.

Kathy

Thanks. I guess this is probably what we will have to do. I appreciated the help.

We too did Native Way on our Mariner 12/06 sailing. There was some delay getting people off the ship and we had the early trip with them. They waited until everyone was accounted for before leaving.

I would encourage you to ask how many people they (NW) will be taking with your group. We had about 50ish on our boat - one couple refused to board when they saw the crowd. We were a bit disappointed (our reason for going with a private co instead of RCCL)- BUT the experience with the rays is not to be missed.

I would encourage you to ask how many people they (NW) will be taking with your group. We had about 50ish on our boat - one couple refused to board when they saw the crowd. We were a bit disappointed (our reason for going with a private co instead of RCCL)- BUT the experience with the rays is not to be missed.

Thanks. We'll take that into account. We are definitely looking for something a little less crowded.

Archived