Source Events and Windjammer, need advice

rodraad

Hi there

I could use some advise from fellow travellers

I booked a cruise with Source Events on the Windjammer SV Legacy for the costa Rica Cruise

But now I have heard that Windjammer is in serious financial difficulty

I called Source Events and they said the charter is still on and they will make alternative arrangements if the Windjammer does not go on

I haven't booked my flights yet

And I am questioning whether I want to lay out money

I purchased cancel for any resaon insurance and I am thinking of using that option..what do people think

Did you ask what they have in mind for an alternate plan? Knowing this should help you make a decision to cancel or stay on... at least you have "cancel for any reason" insurance.

Windjammer is definately on the way out. It's a shame because they were the first cruise line in the travel industry to host gay travelers back in the early 70's.

Yes thank you for that piece of advice

When I called the office the office they were very vague

They said the owner was in contact with the new buyer and said the charters were still going, but they were also looking at another option

Then I read the very interesting story on this board's section on Windjammer - doesn't look good

As I have not bought my airline ticket - I am in a uniique role

Yes I am very thankful that I purchased cancel for any reason insurance. a little extra but now completely worth it (as the cruise is not officially cancelled)

I haven't heard anything about new buyers. I do know that Windjammer is in deep financial trouble and have also read that the ships are abandoned in their respective ports with minimal crew and provisions. You have to wonder what shape they are in given they are in hot climates, no fuel to run generators and air conditioning. I have even heard people speculate that the ships are unsafe for lack of maintenance.

I looked into the Source Event Cruises. Which cruise are you booked on? I thought their sailings were in March or April? That's just around the corner and they should have made alternate plans by now. If they wait too long their choices will be limited.

The writings been on the wall for Windjammer, are they waiting for a miracle?

It's very good that you purchased the insurance. I haven't heard of a new buyer either....there were a group of investors awhile back, but I think they backed out. It's really too bad because the Barefoot windjammers offer a great vacation, especially for us up here in Maine!

I also wanted to note that the windjammers in Maine have hosted gay travelers for a long time as well. I've sailed on both the J&E Riggin and the Timberwind and have found them just as friendly as Barefoot's boats. :)

Yes

I really appreciate this advice

The Costa Rica trip is scheduled for February 16th to 23rd 2008 on the Legacy and ironically this sailing is sold out by Source Events

I'm so glad I went for the premium insurance

I apprecaite everybody keeping their ears open ... I haven't bought my airline ticket, I was just about to, and a friend forwarded me some information

That's some good advice LovetoSail. I googled Tall ship cruising and found a web site for Canadian Sailing Expeditions. They have a tall ship, Caledonia sailing from Guadeloupe in the winter. I saw our pride flag on their home page so they too are gay friendly. I didn't see a gay cruise listed on their site so I will call tomorrow. If I find out any more info I will post it here. Looks like it's a smaller ship - 77 passengers, but higher end with gourmet meals.

Rodraad are you traveling alone or with a friend? Some cruise lines provide roommates at no additional charge. Here's a link to the web site: www.canadiansailingexpeditions.com

Thanks Tondy

I am travelling single and I am in the roommate share program

I appreciate everybody keeping their eyes open on the situation with Windjammer for me on this

I am actually feeling really happy I splurged for the premium travel insurance

This message has been posted

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Windjammer Barefoot Cruises, Ltd. has recently experienced financial difficulties, resulting in its fleet remaining in port. The cruise line has been in active negotiations to sell surplus assets or the entire company to bring in the necessary capital to return to normal operation, but there has not yet been any consummation.

The charters described below remain scheduled for the time being, but this may be subject to change as the evolving situation of the cruise line is continually assessed. If you’re considering any of these cruises, please contact Source Events, the charter operator, for the latest status. Those already booked will be informed directly by Source Events of various options.

Honestly, if you have a way to get out of this mess - get out!

Windjammer is still not sailing and is still trying to pretend like they are. Source events has clearly not offered you a viable option, which means they don't know what they're doing either. Get out while you can. Spend those dollars elsewhere and have a better time.

Archived