Coral World in St.Thomas good excursion for toddlers

scottcaps

We just returned from the Nov 24 Zuiderdam sailing, with our 1 and 3 year old sons. Since I found alot of good info on this board prior to my sailing, I thought I would post one of our experiences and hopefully someone else will find it useful.

We decided to do Coral World for our port day in St. Thomas. This is on the other side of the island. Our ship had an excursion, but unfortunately, it was for 1:00 pm - which is naptime for our sons. So, we decided to just go on our own. Cost wise, we didn't really save any money, but at least this way, we could go when we wanted and be on our own schedule. We did have a bit of a problem finding a taxi from the Crown Bay peir to Coral World, so we ended up going into downtown Charlotte Amalie, where we quickly found a mini-van taxi to share with four other folks. Cost was $9 per adult, $4.50 per child.

We arrived at Coral World at 11:00 am. Cost for entry was $45 for two adults and one toddler (under two was free). We immediately went to see the Sea Lion show, which was very intimate – they brought two young sea lions into one of the buildings, right in front of us. We enjoyed listening to the narration about their habits, training, etc. and watching the two trainers interact with the sea lions. After the show, we wound our way thru the other exhibits, including the observation tower which is built right into the coral in the inlet. We loved the iguanas who just walked thru the area at will. We also enjoyed feeding nectar to the lorikeets, who became quite friendly, walking on my head and my toddler’s shoulder. We left the Coral World at 1:30 pm. It is small as aquariums go, but very well kept and good exhibits – two and half hours was perfect to see everything very thoroughly, including both gift shops. It was a good non-beach excursion for little ones and we would recommend it to other parents travelling with toddlers.

Archived