What to Wear on Deck for a Transatlantic

We are taking a Transatlantic from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale on November 7th. This is so late in the year I don't know what to take. Will it be cold? rainy? or could I get some warmer weather as we cross. I don't want to take to many clothes.

Any suggestions for out door wear during this cruise?

We're taking a similar itinerary 12 Nov. on the Westerdam. You can't predict the weather, but we're hoping for warmish and comfortable.

But we're also realistic. It could be cold, rainy, etc UGH!

So we'll pack for all contingencies and "layer" as neeed.

We are taking a Transatlantic from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale on November 7th. This is so late in the year I don't know what to take. Will it be cold? rainy? or could I get some warmer weather as we cross. I don't want to take to many clothes.

Any suggestions for out door wear during this cruise?

No idea on your weather but for ladies wear everyday I would take lightweight black pants and another neutral pant (gray or khaki), knee-length A line black skirt, black dress for daytime, a couple colored camisole shirts with built in shelf bras and respectable neck line so you don't feel too exposed, 3/4 length sleeve or long sleeve striped or solid button downs to wear over camisoles or on their own, neutral twinset that works with shirts, very packable rain jacket (like travelsmith.com sells). Then you can pair:

cami & skirt

cami & pants

shirt from twinset & skirt

shirt from twinset & pants

twinset & skirt

twinset & pants

button down & pants

button down & skirt (maybe)

button down over cami & pants

button down over cami & skirt (maybe)

dress

button down over dress

cardigan from twinset over dress

Use the twinset sweater as a cardigan over cami/long sleeve shirts as needed and layer the jacket as needed. Good luck!

wow!! I am impressed you are so organized. I must match your items with some in my cupboards.

I am in process of planning my suitcase for a Med cruise in October, that helps! If you like Express clothing at all, they have a ton of camisoles, button downs, and light sweaters that mix & match right now. :)

Suntanzi - I am also in the process of planning for my October Med cruise and just went to Express and bought a couple of their very lightweight cap-sleeved cashmere sweaters, the black A-line stretch skirt that they promised me does not wrinkle, and a pair of the Publicist pants in luxury stretch. Everything is so cute and comfortable.

Hi dmk, We did a transatlantic in the fall of 2002 from Harwich, England to Boston. The wearther was not nice. The Captain had to take the ship north of the Titanic site because of Hurricane Gaustav. That was a very northern route. Warm clothing was needed. This fall we are doing a 14 day transatlantic taking a more southern route from Barcelona leaving Nov. 13th to Tampa. I plan to take clothes for a warmer climate. Southern Spain to Tampa, Florida is a warmer route. To me it's like traveling in Michigan.....could be hot....could be cold. Take a little of everything.

Thanks mems:)

We are doing a similiar route on Nov7th. I figured I needed things to cover all my bases. I was just planning what things would take care of the varieties of weather. What clothing would take up the least amount of space.

I'm taking 4 sweater sets. I get cold in air conditioned rooms so figure when it's warm just wear the bottom layer. The knits they have now are so packable. I'm also taking a couple of those casual knit suits ,slacks and jacket in knit they used to call them "jogging suits" when they were made with that stiffer material.

My problem is I always take too much. Layers are a must IMHO. mems

Suntanzi - I am also in the process of planning for my October Med cruise and just went to Express and bought a couple of their very lightweight cap-sleeved cashmere sweaters, the black A-line stretch skirt that they promised me does not wrinkle, and a pair of the Publicist pants in luxury stretch. Everything is so cute and comfortable.

LOVE their clothes, so cute and affordable. I will have to look for the no wrinkle A line! The luxury stretch is so comfortable, I wish they had the black editor pants in those but they only have the scratchier wool blend which is fine if it's cool out but no fun if it gets a little warm. They show the black luxury stretch on the website but I have checked 2 stores and can't find them.

Does anyone have the WEB site for Express clothing? ..Google can't find it..Thanks for your help

I think it's expressclothing.com or expressfashion.com, something like that. You can't buy clothes on line, unfortunately, but you can mix and match outfits. The site doesn't work well with AOL in case you are using that ISP, it's better off of internet explorer.

Mems, we were on that Harwich to Boston cruise too. Brilliance, right? Rain gear was about the only appropriate attire. I remember walking out on our 9th floor balcony on the night of the big storm and getting a snoot full of sea water. We were too dumb to be scared and had the best time. Now live in Florida and don't think hurricanes are quite so much fun anymore. We fly to Copenhagen next Saturday and will take the train down to Venice to catch the Star Princess on Oct 7 which will get us back to Ft Lauderdale on the 25th. Guess I'll pack a little of everything, including a raincoat. Hope you enjoy your November cruise and have smooth sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Barcelona to San Juan Route last year. Most days were warm with people in shorts if they were doing things out on the decks.

Remember the inside is air conditioned so you can wear most anything indoors and be confortable.

We did the Med transatlantic, started out in Venice & ended up in Barcelona, then across the Atlantic to Ft. Lauderdale. It was a very rainy cruise while in the Med. However, it would start and stop and sometimes as we arrived in a port it would clear up. We missed a lot of ports because of rough seas. We had 5 days of high swells. Ship was rocky. However, our group was ok because we didn't stay in our cabins much.

We missed Azores, had to dock in Nice instead of Monaco, didn't see Sorrento (there was a mudslide there), Rock of Gilbratar was very foggy when we cruised by, could barely see it. Venice was nice, we did manage to do a gondola ride. Portugual was very nice and Spain was nice also. Weather could have been better. However, on the transatlantic segment the weather was absolutely sunny and warm. Everyone took advantage & spent most of the 5 days up on deck. Made up for the rainy Med. We still had a blast. Made the best of it. You can't change the weather, that's for sure. However, I do think we got very short-changed on our tours. We received nothing from Princess for our lost tours, except our tours got credited if we booked through ship.

The weather was mild tho while in the Med. We had cold weather gear w/ layers and we were very warm. Wished we had brought more short sleeves and shorts. We went in late Oct.

I have ordered nice weather for you! LOL. You will have a blast. Enjoy your cruise.

But I would still repeat the journey. It was wonderful.

• 1 month later...

Yes, we have done two transatlantic; one leaving from Puerto Rico to Athens via Istantanbul....................this was a great trip in the Mediterean.........coolish the more north we went, so the layering clothes went well; but for sure rain coat and umbrella, as I recall the rain was in Cannes, Liverno and Rome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Istanbul and Kasudasi and Athens was pleasantly warm,,,,,,,,enough to be on deck by the pool. It was a 21 day trip. The other was leaving from New York and went to Ireland, Amsterstam, Belgium, France and England, very coolish on this trip,,,,,,,,no sun days to remember, it was mild crossing the pond until we hit the North Sea.............sweats during the day for comfort. Transatlantic cruises are our favorite,,,,,,,,,,,,,we just got off Star Princess, Venice to Ft. Lauderdale.............was wonderful. sailinsal

Archived