snorkeling southern shore Cozumel - currents/life vest?

simple girl

Hi all,

We are looking at renting a car and stopping and snorkeling at various points along the southern shore of Cozumel. From what I hear, there are currents, but they push you back in toward land, and it should be fine for beginner snorkelers.

We've snorkeled before, but I would still consider myself somewhat of a novice. My husband is a great swimmer, but I am just "so-so". I feel more comfortable when I can get to where I can stand up fairly quickly or grab on to a floatation device.

So my question is, do any of you recommend a particular type of snorkel vest I should purchase? Something lightweight, easy to pack, that I can purchase on-line and have delivered within the next week or two?

Thanks!

Hi all,

We are looking at renting a car and stopping and snorkeling at various points along the southern shore of Cozumel. From what I hear, there are currents, but they push you back in toward land, and it should be fine for beginner snorkelers.

Well, I can tell you from personal experience, what you've "heard" concerning the currents is not correct. The current isn't not likely to push you back toward the island. The currents normally run from north to south along the island. You would be much better off going on a boat trip to snorkel. The snorkeling will be much better than what you are likely to see from shore and it will be a much safer experience for everyone.

If you are dead set on doing the rental car think, your best bet for shore snorkeling is at Dzul Ha or do a boat trip from Playa Palancar when you stop there.

Well, I can tell you from personal experience, what you've "heard" concerning the currents is not correct. The current isn't not likely to push you back toward the island. The currents normally run from north to south along the island. You would be much better off going on a boat trip to snorkel. The snorkeling will be much better than what you are likely to see from shore and it will be a much safer experience for everyone.

If you are dead set on doing the rental car think, your best bet for shore snorkeling is at Dzul Ha or do a boat trip from Playa Palancar when you stop there.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I gathered my info about the currents from http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/SnorkelingfromShore.htm

They state that what you see from the boats are actually pretty much seen just as easily from the shore. I'm not discounting what you are saying in the least. Just wanted to point out where I got my info from. Maybe the source is not credible. They do recommend one boat snorkeling tour (Mystic).

You can easily get distracted and next thing you're out in deep water. You'll have much more confidence (and fun) if you had some sort of floatation device. I just purchased a snorkel jacket online (google search). The price ranged from $30-40 plus shipping. The jacket is new, easy to inflate and pack away during travel. We toured Cozumel via a convertible VW Bug last year and loved it. Best beach walk-in snorkeling we found was a place near the Chancanaab park. You'll see it before the main tourist spot. Small entry fee, fresh water washoff, lockers, and snack bar. Be safe and have fun.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I gathered my info about the currents from http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/SnorkelingfromShore.htm

They state that what you see from the boats are actually pretty much seen just as easily from the shore. I'm not discounting what you are saying in the least. Just wanted to point out where I got my info from. Maybe the source is not credible. They do recommend one boat snorkeling tour (Mystic).

The source is credible, just a little out dated. Hurricane Wilma really was unkind to the near shore snorkeling sites. Consequently, the better snorkeling sites are accessible by boats.

Regarding the current; close to shore the current is minimal, but it does run parallel to the shore, so it won't push you back to shore, but it is easy to swim against so it would be no problem to swim back to shore.

Archived