traveling on Amtrak

Honeychild

We are doing a Repo cruise next fall and will be disembarking in Tampa. We have the oppurtunity to use Amtrak from home to the port in Baltimore and then Tampa to home. The price is good. About what it would cost one of us to fly back to Baltimore from Tampa.

Has anyone had any experience with Amtrak on the east coast? How are they for being on time? Should I be concerned with lost luggage? Is there a weight restriction on luggage like the airlines have?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Amtrak has a number/weight/size limit on luggage: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/Title_Image_Copy_Page&c=am2Copy&cid=1080080553878&ssid=43

I travel Amtrak frequently, but not long-distance trains. The shorter distance trains I take have a pretty good ontime record, but the long-distance trains do not have a good reputation for ontime performance.

I would definately arrive a day early, use to work for Amtrak and as soon as you leave the north east coridor, freight trains take priority. For the Florida trains a six hour delay is not uncommon, personally I love trains so the longer the ride the better, can do more reading, but it freaks some people out.

About 2 years ago I was on business trip at Emory University in Atlanta. And having flown into Atlanta during a terribe, terrible thunderstorm, it was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back...despite having flown probably upwards of 100+ times, I swore I would never get on a plane again as long as I live.

I ripped up my return flight ticket & bought an Amtrak ticket. I bought a small compartment ticket to assure my comfort, after all it was going to take about 16 hours to get back to NY. The train was on time, comfortable, and the food was certainly very good. I only had my laptop and a small suitcase with me so am not aware of the luggage restrictions, if any.

I wouldn't hesitate to take Amtrak again. In fact I'm quite sure that we're going to book it for our next Glory cruise out of Port Canaveral. Good luck!

Some of the cruise lines in conjunction with Amtrak will offer a 15-25% discount on your Amtrack ticket. I know that Carnival and NCL does I am not sure that the way you are traveling willl qualify but I have gotten the discount from Albany/Buffalo to NYC I found the information on the cruise line web page

As I do not fly, Amtrak is my choice and I find them to be quite good. Not always on time but better than the airlines as they do not bump nor cancel except in the worst of conditions when nothing is moving anywhere.

Headed to FL from Va you could do the sit up coach bit but you might like a sleeper. Pricey on the FL run because they can sell them very easily. Yet you do get complimentary meals with the sleeper. As to luggage, if your station has checking capabilities (look at the schedule, it will tell you) you can check up to three bags per person at 50 lbs each and take two bags on board pp also 50 lbs ea. They do have a size retriction but it covers the largest bags around. You can in addition to the two bag on board with you bring purses, briefcases and laptops. So not to worry about luggage.

In any case I would always plan to arrive in my port city at least the day before sailing to allow for any contingincies.

Enjoy the cruise and the train trip to and back.

We have taken Amtrak to Florida (for cruises) several times. Have experienced delays-so we always go the day before.

We take our luggage to our train- one carry-on and one large suitcase. To date have had no problems- we leave our large suitcases at the back of our train car.

Amtrak has snack bars and a full dining car- being able to walk around is a plus. Also, they stop at a few locations- such as Jacksonville.

Thanks for all the info. We are traveling from Va to Baltimore to board the ship, so that will only be a few hours. The long part will be from Florida back to Va. We will probably get a sleeper since we will be traveling with a 2 year old.

I have another question. I looked on the Amtrak site and couldn't find the answer.

Does anyone know if a carseat is needed for a 2 year old on the train?

If so, do they have them available to rent?

They're not needed on board - there are no seat belts. The only time I've seen anyone with a carseat is when it's there as baggage.

Archived