Choose 2 (I can't decide)

bigmac869

We'll be doing Western Carrib. on the Valor Jan. 6. which goes to Roatan, Belize, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

We're going to be diveing in 2 ports, and can't decide which 2 between Roatan, Belize, and GC.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

;) Between the three ports you listed, I'd for sure do Cayman, and probably Roatan. There's not much of a port in Roatan, and the diving is great, and takes of half the day. There's not much of a port in Belize either, but to get out to the barrier reef, its a 45 minute ride in what is usually a crowded "fast boat" there and back. That's kind of a thrash, IMHO. The diving offered at either port is very similar. There are some good excursions out of Belize City, like cave tubing, which I've done a couple of times. Hope this helps.

I have dove in all four of the ports you mentioned. Of those 4 ports I would dive in Roatan and Cozumel. The diving is excellent in both and there is nothing in either port that is as good as the diving. Although the diving in Belize is good, you will not get to go to the best sites on a cruise ship day and the diving they will take you to is average and expensive. There are also other great things to do such as cave tubing and visiting Mayain ruins. Personally, I think the diving in Grand Cayman is overrated (I spent a whole dive vacation there), although I think visitinig Stingray City (either diving or snorkeling) is a must!

Agree, dive GC and Roatan and visit a Mayan ruin in Belize. IMHO, these are the best choices for activities on the islands you listed.

Randall

P.S. in GC consider a short dive with Sunset House or book off the ship with a dive boat. You'll have smaller crowds and a better time than booking thorugh the excursion desk. Lots of recommendations on this board.

I don't think that we're going to dive Cozumel, just based on the fact that we dove there last year, which is why I narrowed it down to GC, Roatan, and Belize. I've been to Cayman before, and did the the StingRay City bit, etc, but this will be the first time to Roatan or Belize. The only reason, I was kind of shying away from booking a dive in Cayman is because of the fact that you never know if you'll be able to get off the ship in Cayman. We booked a dive there last year, and seas were too rough to tender in. I just don't know if I want to have to worry about that there.

I don't know, maybe I'll just wait and see what other people in my group are doing excursion wise, and if their excursion sounds boring, I'll go diving. Or better yet, maybe I'll just book a dive at all 4 ports!

Archived