Referral help, please...

2Ports

We're doing our classroom & pool work this weekend, and plan to do our OW in January while sailing the Valor. 1st 4 stops are GC, Roatan, Belize, and Coz. Like to do th OW's at Roatan & Belize, if possible; otherwise one of those + Coz. Any recomendations? Do we need to book specifically referral dives, or can we book a 2 tank?

TIA

ps we already did 2 discover scuba's - one w/ Sand Dollar in Coz (NOT impressed) and one w/ UNEXSO GBI - very impressed!)

We're doing our classroom & pool work this weekend, and plan to do our OW in January while sailing the Valor. 1st 4 stops are GC, Roatan, Belize, and Coz. Like to do th OW's at Roatan & Belize, if possible; otherwise one of those + Coz. Any recomendations? Do we need to book specifically referral dives, or can we book a 2 tank?

You do need to book 2 referral dives specifically in order to have an instructor check out your stills. If you book a regular 2 tank dive, you will get a dive guide who may or may not be an instructor. Additionally, they are 2 different kinds of dives.

In Grand Cayman, I recommend http://www.neptunesdivers.com as a first choice. Second choice would be one of the shore dive sites with on-site dive operators. http://www.sunsethouse.com comes to mind and you can walk there from where the tenders dock in Georgetown.

In Cozumel, my personal favorite is Christi's http://www.bluextseadiving.com She provides superior customer service.

Others I'd consider are:

There are many other quality dive operators in Cozumel.

I absolutely second Bruce's recommendations for going out with Casey & Keith at Neptune's on GC and Christy & crew at BlueXTSea in CZ.

In Belize, I go out with Linda and John at SeaSports Belize, and they are great folks to work with. http://www.seasportsbelize.com

Here's a link to my (in-progress) diving webpage http://www.freewebs.com/wendyandkeith/

Have a great time, and welcome to the addiction!

Wendy

Here's a third for recommending Neptune's Divers in GC and Christi in Cozumel. Both are terrific.

I'd advise against trying to arrange checkout dives in Belize. Sometimes, tendering can get a little logistically difficult there. Seasports Belize is good to work with, but you need extra time for these dives and shouldn't be rushed. If it were me, I'd do GC and Cozumel, followed by Roatan then Belize as my order of preferred ports in which to train.

Consider CoCo View for Roatan checkout.

for the feedback so far. It's been a big help. Unfortunatey, when I called Carnival and asked if they would rescedule the ports for me, they politely declined. :p The order our first week is: GC, Roatan, Belize, Coz. Right now I'm thinking Capt. Marvin SS + 2 or 3 reef snorkel (uncertainty of stop)(yeah, been to GC before; loved the stingrays) 2 OW's on Roatan (ok off Roatan), ruins or sumpin @ Belize (relative distance/lack of dive operators), 2 more OW at Coz. (cost + sched + choices). Seems like this might be the safest way to make sure we finish our OWs the first week, and are good to go on the Eastern leg the second week and the Southern (EOS 11 day) in Feb.

Thoughts?

Comments?

TIA

Just noticed that the stop in Roatan is only 11a - 6p. That seems a tad short for 2 dives? Still, we are supposed to have 1 "extra" from a coupla months ago on GBI.

*ok, according to my little PADI RDP (if I'm using it right) we would have time for one 60 minute dive at 35' and a cold beer on the way back to the ship. :p

We are on the same itinerary and we opted to use the Carnival excursion for Roatan becasue of the times we are in port. We schedule with Seasports in Belize and Neptune in GC. Seasports gave us their cell # in case we are delayed in tendering, but they gave us a good amount of time to get to them. Due to the number of dives in so many days, we are doing nitrox; not a bad choice if you get the cert before your cruise (no dives required for PADI). Cozumel is Senor Frogs day.

A few year back I used Sueno del Mar in West End Roatan for two check out dives. The instructor was very good and it was an excellent location for snorkeling while I did the dives. We just used a small boat out to the reef for the dives. You should have time for two shallow dives like these would be. West End is also a fun place to go to.

You have gotten some very good Cozumel pointers. I did my AOW with Alison in Cozumel and she gives wonderful personal attention. Christi's BlueXTSea or Raul at BottomeTime are also GREAT recommedations. The personal and friendly experience of any of these operations will make you very happy and almost certainly a return customer. All of these have very loyal customers.

Thanks to all for your help - we're all set! Alison was full, as were a few others; we're booked with Dockside at CoCo View in Roatan for the first 2, and Paradise in Coz for the second 2. Can hardly wait. 3 weeks! :D

Archived