How do you feel about this?? (Video Monitors & 2 year old

NoelsCat

Just want people's opinions about this topic --

We are sailing with family and friends. All our rooms are balcony (D1 JOS on RCCI) and are in a row. They are not connecting.

We have a video baby monitor. The monitor is in color, has full-sound and plugs-in (so batteries won't be an issue).

We currently use the monitor in our son's bedroom upstairs while we are downstairs. Our son is pretty well-behaved and does not try to go outside/open doors/burn down buildings.

Providing that we have good reception, would you feel comfortable with:

1. Socializing in one of the next door cabins while watching 2 yr old on the monitor (while sleeping)

2. Going out while grandparents watch toddler next door via monitor (while sleeping)

3. Sitting on the balcony while watching the toddler via monitor (sleeping or not.)

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I would only be comfortable with # 3. For # 1 and # 2, I would be paranoid that I couldn't get back into the room the child is in quickly if there was a problem or issue.

We use a video monitor with portable screen, and think it is great. We always take it on vacation with us.

I would be OK with all 3. Its very similar to being home and being in the next room. As long as you are close by (next door, balcony) you would be able to get in there in a flash if something were to happen. Just make sure your child proof everything before you leave the room and keep a close eye on the monitor.

Julie

I'd be okay with all three as well, although the points about being able to get back into the room are not invalid. I think I'd try my key about 20 times and make really sure it worked! If the grandparents are next door, is there a connector? If so, this door could be left unlocked for easy access.

I don't have a problem with it per se. I would be a tiny bit concerned about #2, only if there is a chance the grandparent would fall asleep too and not be able to monitor the little guy. ;) But give the grandparents some caffeine and go out and have some fun. ;)

As far as the balcony. We go out on the balcony all the time (in the same cabin) while the kids are sleeping. I just leave the curtains cracked a little so I can see any movement from the kids.

I guess I don't worry about the grandparents falling asleep as much because I have a video monitor and the sound is so sensitive I can hear the little guy breathing. It makes me feel so much better since he has asthma and when he went through is bought of pneumonia last month every time his breathing was a little off I would wake up. I know my mom would be the same way as she is just as light a sleeper as I am.

I wouldn't have a problem with any of the options. I mean, I live in a 2 story house and you'll be closer, per se, to your sleeping child than I am when my sleeping child is in his room and I'm downstairs. Just turn the monitor up real loud so you can here everything real clear... I sleep at night when my child sleeps so even if the g'parents fall asleep, it shouldn't be an issue unless they are heavy, heavy sleepers. In my case, when the grandparents babysit, they go in a check on my son like a zillion times. They are overly cautious. :)

I guess I don't worry about the grandparents falling asleep as much because I have a video monitor and the sound is so sensitive I can hear the little guy breathing. It makes me feel so much better since he has asthma and when he went through is bought of pneumonia last month every time his breathing was a little off I would wake up. I know my mom would be the same way as she is just as light a sleeper as I am.

I have a video monitor too hooked up in Gab's room because of her seizures. So I know what you mean. :)

I wouldn't hold out much hope for it working. We had rooms next to my SIL and BIL and I tried setting up a monitor and just going next door. I think because of all the steel I couldn't get a signal. I would have no problem if it worked but unfortunately it did not. Good luck.

I would not have a problem with any of them if you were able to get clear reception. Worse case if the video monitor doesn't work, once your DS falls asleep you could always knock on the cabin next door and invite your family or friends over to your balcony to chat while he sleeps. I know I spent a lot of time on my balcony while my DD slept, and having some company helped pass the time a little more quickly.

I wouldn't have a problem with any of them (assuming the monitor got reception) but I too would be paranoid about the door key working and would check it a bazillion times just to be sure. It would help if the rooms were connecting (maybe via the balconies, some ships have dividers that can be unlocked/removed).

Archived