Time to kill before Orlando flight - suggestions anyone?

DDofcruisemaniac

Hello

I am travelling on the Glory from Dec 29 til Jan 5th. Once the cruise is over, the boat arrives back in Cap Canaveral at 7 am. My flight, from Orlando airport, leaves at 6:15 pm. I am looking for things to do between those times (say from 10 am to 4pm).......I know Carnival offers the Cap Canaveral tour...but to be honest I am not sure it's something we would enjoy that much...(we are 31 and 33)...Any suggestions??

well, I know you say you aren't sure you'd like it ... but if our space program is the least bit interresting to you, then Kennedy Space Center is a must visit in my book. I had an 8pm flight and spend the entire day there. Didn't even get to see or do everything I would have liked to.

you might also check out the "I work in Port Canaveral" monster therad over in the east coast departures forum.

I guess transportation will limit the options available to you. If it were me, I would rent a car in Port Canaveral, spend the day at either Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard beach water parks at Disney and return the rental car at the airport. With all the entertainment options available to you in Orlando you should have difficulty picking which you would like to do. :D

Hello,

Yes, I looked into renting a car, and actually going to Universal's Island of Adventure...but I am afraid we will feel rushed, and stressed about getting to the airport on time - hence the search for something to do that wouldn't involve renting a car, etc...aarghh

(thanks for suggestions though, I appreciate it!)

I had this same scenario happen to me. I rented a car upon return to port. (got great rate using coupon I found on mousesavers.com) and I went to downtown disney and did some other sightseeing. Did not feel pressured at all. Actually felt better having the car and knowing that I was in control. If you are able to self debark you can get your rental early and be off on your way.

Have fun and enjoy!!

seaworld is another option and that never takes us all day - usually we're done there by 3. Universal if you've been there before will only take about a half to 3/4 of the day. Definitely something to keep in mind. I could easily find something to do to keep me occupied in Orlando. :D

Hello

I am travelling on the Glory from Dec 29 til Jan 5th. Once the cruise is over, the boat arrives back in Cap Canaveral at 7 am. My flight, from Orlando airport, leaves at 6:15 pm. I am looking for things to do between those times (say from 10 am to 4pm).......I know Carnival offers the Cap Canaveral tour...but to be honest I am not sure it's something we would enjoy that much...(we are 31 and 33)...Any suggestions??

How about something directly south of the Orlando airport and only a few miles (10 minutes) away?

http://www.bcairboats.com/

Orlando airport has quite a bit to offer including decent shopping and some nice restaurants.

http://www.orlandoairports.net/concessions/shops.htm

The Hyatt inside of the Orlando airport even has a rooftop pool with a runway view.

http://orlandoairport.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

You might not even have to leave the airport, and you certainly wouldn't be rushed to return.

Orlando airport has quite a bit to offer including decent shopping and some nice restaurants.

http://www.orlandoairports.net/concessions/shops.htm

The Hyatt inside of the Orlando airport even has a rooftop pool with a runway view.

http://orlandoairport.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

You might not even have to leave the airport, and you certainly wouldn't be rushed to return.

You can get a day rate at the Hyatt! My DS's, BIL and nieces and nephew stayed there after our Glory trip last Christmas before there late flight back north.

The Kennedy Space Center is a great tour. We've taken everyone that visits us from early 20's to late 60's and everyone loves it. If you'r sure it's not for you, then you can rent a car and hang out in Cocoa Beach, check out Ron Jon's and the beach, plan lunch... If you want to fight Orlando then make sure you don't go South (Disney...). Too much traffic and you'll waste too much time. CityWalk at Universal is fun, tourist restaurants but a fun time and you don't have to go into the theme park.

The Kennedy Space Center is a great tour. We've taken everyone that visits us from early 20's to late 60's and everyone loves it. If you'r sure it's not for you, then you can rent a car and hang out in Cocoa Beach, check out Ron Jon's and the beach, plan lunch... If you want to fight Orlando then make sure you don't go South (Disney...). Too much traffic and you'll waste too much time. CityWalk at Universal is fun, tourist restaurants but a fun time and you don't have to go into the theme park.

Carnival offers a Space Center tour that includes transport to the airport. One advantage of this tour is the keep your luggage on the bus for you so there is one less thing to worry about.

well, I know you say you aren't sure you'd like it ... but if our space program is the least bit interresting to you, then Kennedy Space Center is a must visit in my book. I had an 8pm flight and spend the entire day there. Didn't even get to see or do everything I would have liked to.

you might also check out the "I work in Port Canaveral" monster therad over in the east coast departures forum.

I will have to agree with BSQ. It was not something I thought I would like either but my DH wanted to go. I'm glad I did because it was VERY interesting, especially the size of the tracks on the platform that brings the shuttle to its launch pad. We didn't do a ship tour as we had gone on our own one year. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/home/index.html

Another thing we have done, although it involves renting a car (which is painless), is drive north to Daytona Beach. It's a fun place and you can even drive the car on the beach. The car rental agencies are right at the airport so that makes the return even easier. http://www.daytonabeach.com/

You could also stay in the area (again, rent a car) and visit the famous RonJons in Cocoa Beach just South of the Port. http://www.ronjons.com/DisplayContent.aspx?ContentID=39&MenuGroup=2&SelectedItem=4

We have also done the airboat ride (through the cruiseline) and enjoyed that.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Hello

As a Central Floridian, I am pretty familiar with Cape Canaveral and the port in general, I have a couple thoughts:

Cocoa Beach. THis is only a couple miles from the Port. Very nice beach, restaurant on the water with good food and some beach/touristy shops. This would be an easy drive/ride from the port.

Disney area. I agree with previous posts, Downtown Disney is nice for walking around and they have some fun restaurants, shops. The airport is fairly close to Disney and a little further from Universal (although a plus is that Universal/CityWalk has Margaritaville). IMO, you will not get your money's worth if you try to do either of the Universal Parks. You are going over the Christmas break and those parks will be packed.

A good accident can (completely) shut down the Beachline (B-Line/toll road back to the airport) or I-4 and I would rather be closer to the airport (Orlando area) than rushing it, trying to get back in time.

Have fun!

I dont know how often you get here but Dont and I repeat Dont miss KSC. It is a once in a lifetime chance. I have seen suggestions of beach (who needs more after a cruise) and theme parks. They are crowded and you will be looking at the watch. I agree with renting the car but if you really want not to stress take the cruise line tour. You will love it.

Archived