Suggestions for short evening in Honolulu ?

LegalCat

We are getting in at 2 pm and checking into the Wyland Wikiki around 3. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on some things we can do that day. Thats a Thursday. I'm thinking we could go for a walk and maybe do some shopping or just a nice walk on the beach and dinner.

On Friday we are probably going to the Pearl Harbor tour in the morning and getting married in the afternon or evening. Then on Saturday we are doing a hummer tour at 7 am then getting on the ship in the early afternoon.

we originally were going to get married early afternoon and go to a 4:30 luau tour, but my husband really wants to go to the pearl harbor even though weve heard not great things about it... we can go to a luau on another island...

We are getting in at 2 pm and checking into the Wyland Wikiki around 3. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on some things we can do that day. Thats a Thursday. I'm thinking we could go for a walk and maybe do some shopping or just a nice walk on the beach and dinner.

On Friday we are probably going to the Pearl Harbor tour in the morning and getting married in the afternon or evening. Then on Saturday we are doing a hummer tour at 7 am then getting on the ship in the early afternoon.

we originally were going to get married early afternoon and go to a 4:30 luau tour, but my husband really wants to go to the pearl harbor even though weve heard not great things about it... we can go to a luau on another island...

By the time you get checked in and cleaned up a bit it will probably be closer to 4 or 5. Why not take some time to decompress and relax? Walk down to the beach for a stroll and a sunset cocktail at the Shorebird, House Without a Key, or Duke's, followed by dinner at a nice restaurant (too many to list).

OBTW, on Fridays, the Hilton Hawaiian Village has a fireworks display at 8PM (about 5 minutes) - you can see it from anywhere on Waikiki Beach.

I can't imagine what "not good" things there could possibly be about Pearl Harbor. Yes, it gets very busy and you've got to stand in line to get the free first-come-first-served tix for the Arizona Memorial. Yes, if you want to take the Arizona Memorial tour you need to get up early to make sure you get tix because once the tix for the day are gone, that's it. Sometimes tix have all been handed out before noon; other times, it's not as busy and tix are available later. Other than that, I just don't see any down side to it. Admission to Pearl Harbor is free. It's quite moving and such a significant part of our history. In addition, there is far more there than "just" the Arizona Memorial and the associated buildings/area. There's the Bowfin ($ admission), the USS Missouri ($ admission, plus $ if you want any of the special tours), and the new Pacific Air Museum ($ admission; only part of the museum is open so far). You can buy tix for either or both the Missouri and the PAM at the Bowfin; then you take a shuttle over to Ford Island (no one is allowed to drive to Ford Island as it is an active military installation).

I hope you have a lovely Hawaiian wedding and a delightful honeymoon.

beachchick

• Administrators
I can't imagine what "not good" things there could possibly be about Pearl Harbor. Yes, it gets very busy and you've got to stand in line to get the free first-come-first-served tix for the Arizona Memorial. Yes, if you want to take the Arizona Memorial tour you need to get up early to make sure you get tix because once the tix for the day are gone, that's it. Sometimes tix have all been handed out before noon; other times, it's not as busy and tix are available later. Other than that, I just don't see any down side to it. Admission to Pearl Harbor is free. It's quite moving and such a significant part of our history. In addition, there is far more there than "just" the Arizona Memorial and the associated buildings/area. There's the Bowfin ($ admission), the USS Missouri ($ admission, plus $ if you want any of the special tours), and the new Pacific Air Museum ($ admission; only part of the museum is open so far). You can buy tix for either or both the Missouri and the PAM at the Bowfin; then you take a shuttle over to Ford Island (no one is allowed to drive to Ford Island as it is an active military installation).

I hope you have a lovely Hawaiian wedding and a delightful honeymoon.

beachchick

I agree completely with Beachchick here. It's funny, because this is twice in recent days I've seen posters talking about Pearl Harbor like it's "just another" Hawaii location/excursion (like a beach, restaurant, or ziplining place to be rated as "great" or "not so great"). Here's a link to the other one (where I replied along the same lines as BC here) -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=672178

Maybe it's just a sign of getting older? I think that for those of us who remember Pearl Harbor as it happened, or who were raised with parents who do, it has great meaning as the event which resulted in the US entry into World War II, and as such, it's one of the most important historical locations of the twentieth century. For us, "ranking" it as a "tourist attraction" would never be on the agenda -- it's simply a given that it should be seen, and respects paid.

But maybe as new generations come along they are far enough removed from historical events that Pearl Harbor might as well be Gettysburg, Stonehenge, or Easter Island to them? So for at least some of them it really is just a "tourist attraction?" Or maybe our schools are doing such a lousy job of teaching recent history (like World War II) that somehow the significance of Pearl Harbor isn't being taught? It kind of makes you wonder if in 70 years people will think of the Twin Towers memorial site the same way -- 9/11/01 having been "our generation's Pearl Harbor."

Sorry sorry, I should have explained myself more, what I heard was not good may be more related to the tour companies. You know, people waiting in line for long periods of time and then not getting tickets etc... shore trips charges $254 to take two people to pearl harbor, so it seems like we would be much better just getting up early and maybe taking a taxi. I dont think we will rent a car because all the other things we are doing will include transportation, unless its too far from our hotel. I have to see how far it is.

We were going to go to a luau in the afternoon and get married in the morning, but we do feel like its important to go to see pearl harbor especially considering the odds that we would be in Hawaii again. So i think we will do our wedding in the late afternoon evening and spend the morning in pearl harbor seeing everything. We have no problem getting up early. We are used to being up at 5 am and also we are 5 hours ahead, so I'm sure we will be awake bright and early and out the door.

Archived